Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineguywhodoesthings
that guy

First Grow, BRF Cakes B+, GT, Alacabenzi, and Hawaiian - Pics
    #10123281 - 04/07/09 03:25 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all,
A friend recently started his incubation of BRF cakes and they're on about day 19 and no sign of contamination yet (lets hope it stays that way). Anyhoo, he's knew to this and just wants to get some feedback on how things look thus far.

A few questions though:

Vermiculite isn't available where he lives, the jars were bought pre-sterilized. He planned on dunking the cakes and just putting them in the terrarium. Will the yield be significantly lower without the rolling part?

He does have a jar that he didn't use, do you think its possible to use that top layer of verm to roll a few cakes in or at least sprinkle on top?

Lastly, how far along do the cakes look? And is it true that you should wait a week after full colonization to birth the cakes?

Thanks in advance for your comments

-Peace as always

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
Re: First Grow, BRF Cakes B+, GT, Alacabenzi, and Hawaiian - Pics [Re: guywhodoesthings]
    #10123496 - 04/07/09 04:07 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Cakes look great for day 19.. let them sit for at least a week after all the exterior looks colonized..This will ensure the middle is colonized also. You can use the little bit of verm. That you have to sprinkle on top but I would not use any of the brf as it will cause overlay from the nutrients..Without the roll you should get just as good a harvest by dunking and keeping you're Humidity up..good luck Lookin good............e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

InvisibleechoesSG
Dancing Echoes
Male

Re: First Grow, BRF Cakes B+, GT, Alacabenzi, and Hawaiian - Pics [Re: guywhodoesthings]
    #10123544 - 04/07/09 04:15 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

guywhodoesthings said:

Vermiculite isn't available where he lives

If plants grow in your region of the world witch is most likely, then they will definitely have it at a garden supply store in your area. try calling the store and asking fist as not to waist time driving around.

if you still cant find any you can order some through the net.

Quote:

guywhodoesthings said:
is it true that you should wait a week after full colonization to birth the cakes?

YES! wait a week after full colonization so it can consolidate its hold on the substrate... If you birth right away its guna sit there for a week anyways.

Offlineinit
Golden Student
Female User Gallery

Loc: west coast
Re: First Grow, BRF Cakes B+, GT, Alacabenzi, and Hawaiian - Pics [Re: echoesSG]
    #10124053 - 04/07/09 05:41 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I'm guessing those jars have dry vermiculite layers at the top of the substrate - if this is the case, you should not be storing or holding them upside down, as this will cause the layer to shift around and/or get wet. A wet contaminant barrier won't help you much at all. Looks like your jars are far enough along that they've probably colonized the top of the substrate, so it might not matter much now, but for future reference...

I'd definitely order some verm if you can't find it locally, but for now, I'm wondering if you could save the verm layers when you birth your jars. Just scraping the verm from each jar into a bowl or something, and then putting it on a cookie sheet and baking it in the oven for a while to kill off anything that might have landed on it, and to dry it out. Then maybe you could use it for the roll. It's certainly not standard procedure, but if that's your only source of vermiculite, maybe it's worth considering. Any thoughts on whether this would work or not? I don't want to steer someone in the wrong direction, just my idea :smile:

--------------------

Offlineguywhodoesthings
that guy

Re: First Grow, BRF Cakes B+, GT, Alacabenzi, and Hawaiian - Pics [Re: electrics]
    #10126234 - 04/07/09 10:33 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks a lot for your comments! I'll be sure to wait a good week before birthing them. cheers

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Offlineguywhodoesthings
that guy

#10126362 - 04/07/09 10:48 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Haha. My friend's actually studying in Eastern Europe and he's had a hard time finding a store that sells verm. and the language barrier isn't helping either...

Init, I like the way you think. If he properly sterilizes the verm. and makes sure no BRF gets collected along with the verm. it should work, right?

Thanks again for all your advice :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation