Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia
    #10120815 - 04/07/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hello, I went hunting out the back of my property for mushrooms today for an hour, in a cow paddock, and it was my first time, most of the mushrooms i found were growing out of cow manure, except a few, and i was wondering if you could ID them and help me figure out and learn which ones were magic mushrooms etc. could i have some help :smile: its much apreciated!

if more photos are needed i dont mind taking more of whatever u need :smile:

T.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: ToniChan88]
    #10121244 - 04/07/09 02:56 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The small, darker mushrooms might be active.  They are in the genus Panaeolus, which contains some active and some inactive species.  You may have more than one species, and maybe some Psathyrella or something else.  It looks like you have some P. cyanescens, a strong psilocybin containing mushroom.  They will be the darker mushrooms that turn distinctly blue.  Post more photos of the darker mushrooms if you are unsure, and we should be able to tell you which are active.

All the white or whitish ones are inactive or poisonous.

FYI - you should use paper bags rather than plastic when collecting mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlineambc
mycominded
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: CureCat]
    #10121299 - 04/07/09 03:57 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Do some spore prints as well if they are pan. cyanescens they will have jet black prints.

--------------------

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: ambc]
    #10121346 - 04/07/09 04:29 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have taken some more photos and numbered the mushrooms, i will then do spore prints on them and you can match them to the numbers :smile:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10121375 - 04/07/09 04:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It looks like a lot, if not all, have bluing.  You will have to be the judge of this ultimately, as it is hard to tell from the photos. 

Some of them may be too dry to get a spore print from, and make sure to keep the stems next to the corresponding cap, so as not to get them all mixed up.

Lastly, if you want confirmation that they are all Panaeolus (there are no known poisonous species, so even if an inactive species got mixed in, you'd be fine), then go outside and take photos of the gills in the sunlight.

But yeah, it definitely looks like you have some P. cyanescens.

--------------------

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
    #10126934 - 04/07/09 10:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I took some photos in the sun, was hard because the sun isnt out much, even if it is australia there is alot of clouds :smile: but when i took the stems off i noticed definate blue on every mushroom, i see it on the tops of the stems and where the stem connects to the cap, on the cap. the third (3.) mushroom i removed because the darling was full of maggots, kept the stem, and most of the mushrooms left spore prints, and the prints were all black. the gills were very black too., most/some were getting dryed out as well. i kept the stems next to them all and numbered them all.

im also a little unsure about number 6, he was larger than the others, but definate blue on him, he was a slight diff coloured/textured cap too.

here are the photos, same numbers

Offlineaussieshroom
Sub Hunter
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, AUS Flag
    #10127077 - 04/07/09 10:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i see what looks like bluing in quite a few of those.

--------------------
:mushroom2: Melbourne Mushroom Madness :mushroom2:

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: aussieshroom]
    #10127547 - 04/08/09 12:13 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

how many should i eat?i dont have scales to measure?

Offlinelarmer
A.k.A. TriGGer

Loc: myceliuem
    #10127583 - 04/08/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

you have some actives but i would not eat those, u have a mix there hard to sort out any bad ones. i would go back and pick just the bluing pans! keep the different mushies separate. just shoot for the active now that you have successfully identified some!! get some more bring post up some pics.

if ya realy want to eat those separate any with bluing and try and get a nice clear pic for a thumbs up.  just caution on ur mix.

--------------------
AN ANIMATED RESPONSE FROM TRIGGER

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10127643 - 04/08/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I don't see any that are not Panaeolus, and most appear to be bluing.

I can't tell how large they are, so it is hard to tell what a good dose would be.

--------------------

Offlineambc
mycominded

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: larmer]
    #10127647 - 04/08/09 12:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Larmer is right you shouldn't eat mushies from a mixed pick. There could be pieces of the other ones stuck to those and even a small. Also just wondering whether there was any bit's of any other types could cause a worrisome trip experience. go out and pick either just the bluing ones(pan. cyanescens) or keep specimens from different species separated. Take a few pics of them growing too, they are very photogenic while they are still standing!

--------------------

Offlineambc
mycominded

Trusted Identifier
    #10127659 - 04/08/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Also post new/environmental pics, and wait for more confirmation from more trusted identifiers B4 consuming.

--------------------

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
    #10127696 - 04/08/09 01:07 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well i trust curecat, they are all blueing, every one of them, im sure. and i dont see what the problem would be mixing them if none are poisonous since theyre all Panaeolus. theyre small, when i picked them those ones were all identical to eachother and all looked the same species to me, all those ones grew out of cow manure too. the only one i said i was unsure about was nr 6. which was different to the others. theyre all relively small though, about 1.5cm diameter, stems are about 2.5 inches. i will go and pick some more though, next week, hopefully there should be more, and hopefully more rain!
but there is definate blueing on every single mushroom, might be hard to see in the photo though

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
    #10127718 - 04/08/09 01:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

note: they were the dark brown/gold colour when i picked them already

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10127729 - 04/08/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ToniChan88 said:
they are all blueing, every one of them, im sure.  theyre small, when i picked them those ones were all identical to eachother and all looked the same species to me, all those ones grew out of cow manure too.
theyre all relively small though, about 1.5cm diameter, stems are about 2.5 inches.
but there is definate blueing on every single mushroom, might be hard to see in the photo though

Good, sounds safe.

Quote:

ToniChan88 said:
the only one i said i was unsure about was nr 6. which was different to the others.

It just looks thicker.  Other than that, I see bluing and it looks like a Panaeolus.

--------------------

OfflineToniChan88
Stranger
    #10127744 - 04/08/09 01:29 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i read something about little brown mushrooms, i they are little and brown, i wont get poisoned?

and if im all set to go, how many is a good dose for a good trip, like how many should i have?

Offlineambc
mycominded

Trusted Identifier
    #10128163 - 04/08/09 04:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I trust CureCat that they are pan cyans too and that's what I think they are anyway. However if all these species were carried in the same container i would id the others to at least genus and make sure there is nothing in there that a small amount of could cause you problems. There could be small pieces of those other mushrooms stuck to the goodies, particularly small pieces of their gills. Most poisonous mushrooms you would need more than a tiny bit to suffer ill effects but i prefer to be safe.

--------------------

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
    #10128191 - 04/08/09 05:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with ambc.. the ones you have are pretty past it, and the photos are poor. Blueing, black prints and growing from shit is a very good indicator but i can't see the mushrooms very clearly (it might be my screen) and as CC said, only you can verify the blueing.

While the small dark ones might not be poisonous, the large white ones probably are. Possibly deadly poisonous. If they've been mixing around in the same bag i wouldn't risk it. Again, you might be fine 95% of the time but just... mushroom hunting and taking risks? not for me.

For the record my advice, get some fresh ones, keep them separate, and if they bruise and print right, have an anxiety free trip knowing that you were safe.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Edited by undergrounder (04/08/09 09:17 AM)

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #10128390 - 04/08/09 07:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't read everyones comments, but I'd eat 5 of those numbered ones without hesitation.  That's just me though, and I am not a "trusted identifier".  I have picked active pans and cubes for years though and apparently I am still alive.  So I am sure those dark ones that turned black are active pans.  If the spore print is jet black and they are pans they can't hurt ya...

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms Found In Cow Paddock, NSW Australia [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #10129875 - 04/08/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not worried about them having shared a bag with the other mushrooms.  I don't see any remnants of any of the other mushrooms stuck to the P. cyanescens

Based on the info and photos provided I would feel comfortable eating them. 

On the other hand, if you are worried, then it is probably worth it to wait and pick some fresh ones that you can take new photos of, so as not to have a potentially bad trip due to worry.

Quote:

i read something about little brown mushrooms, i they are little and brown, i wont get poisoned?

No, that's total bull shit.  I would quit relying on that source of information for any further instruction.  There are definitely "LBM's" that can kill you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract