Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebob5

Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid)
    #9901788 - 03/03/09 05:41 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

sorry to post another blatantly obvious question (for others) but i have spent hours researching last few days and it's starting to have a negative effect on my understanding due to the huge wealth of information.

its my first diy grow and i'm going to use the 'pf tek' (style)  with wild bird seed (dunno if this makes it an official 'wbs tek'
i have 19 12oz jars, a 7 litre pressure cooker.... e.t.c
i'm going to follow the following link ( at bottom of post), however where it suggests to add Add tyvek filter material (coffee filter) :thumbup:  then add lid  :thumbup::thumbup:  but then it says add the lid ring/ plastic lid....:thumbdown::frown:  i have no other lids. i was wandering if tin foil would replace this, or would it stop the jars 'breathing' 
finally alot of people reccommend polfil instead of tyvek.. (difference if any?)
> apart from that i've got my head around it.. in theory it is exactly the same as
~brf (pf) tek~  but with fast colonizing and better yield..  difference between the two in effort = very little?? 

much thanks  - hope thats clear and not aggravatingly ignorant
bob

http://www.shroomery.org/9032/6T-WBS-Tek-Wild-Bird-Seed-Bulk-Spawn-Preparation-Method

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid) [Re: bob5]
    #9901840 - 03/03/09 06:19 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Are you going to be fruiting them as cakes? or using them as spawn? If youre just doing cakes, i wouldnt recommend using birdseed; BRF would be the way to go.

On the lids, you dont have the 2 piece jar lids? if you do, you put the disc on, then the tyvek, then screw down the lid ring. If you have one piece jar lids, either use micropore tape over holes, or you might even be able to wrap tyvek around the top of your lids and secure with a tight rubber band. You could also use the polyfill method. I would wrap a couple coffee filters around the top of your jar if youre using polyfill. They all work pretty well. Ive used all those methods with success. You only want to use tin foil while your pressure cooking to keep extra moisture out of your jars, and you take it off once your pull your jars out of the pressure cooker.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Invisiblebob5

Re: Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid) [Re: iskinbash]
    #9902789 - 03/03/09 11:00 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

yeh i got the one piece lid. tyvek is the same as a coffe filter paper thing?
it's my first time growing so i think i'll try a mixture of casing and cakes. brf with the cakes and birdseed with the casing...?? sound plausable? or a bit far out for a noobmisster..
my only hesitation with brf cakes is i've read that potency takes a nose dive along with yield... however they are meant to be easier.
whatcha reckon?
cheers  iskinbash

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid) [Re: bob5]
    #9902868 - 03/03/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

tyvek isnt the same as coffee filters. They are different materials. Im not sure if youre in the U.S., but the postal service has free tyvek envelopes at all the offices. Your plan sounds plausible, as long as you read everything you can on both WBS teks and the BRF tek. Potency really doesnt decrease with cakes, if it does, it is not noticeable. As far a yields are concerned, I used to get just about an oz dried from 8 cakes. The cakes are easier, and the WBS requires a little more effort for the casing, and depending on if you will be using the WBS as spawn or if you are just going to case it straight. You should go for both if you feel up to it. Once you grow a few cakes, youll be wanting to move to bulk anyways, and if you can get the grain right, then youre well on your way.

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid) [Re: iskinbash]
    #9902926 - 03/03/09 11:30 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

I do all my lids like this now:

Rubber injection port and a little piece of tyvek (or similar) glued with silicone over a hole for gas exchange.

Takes about 20 minutes to drill the holes and glue on the stuff.  Adds about 15 cents (us) to the cost.

Adds a little extra work initially, but they're reusable (just wash & rinse) and are easy to use.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Wbs tek jars without 'ring' (extra lid) [Re: Spongiform]
    #9902970 - 03/03/09 11:41 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

yup, i do sorta the same, but with plastic lids. i got the same injection port, but i opted to drill 5 small holes, and glue a synthetic filter disk over the top of the holes for GE.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck