Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Well this is my first post, as the title implies, so Id like to start off by saying hi to everyone. All your posts have provided me hours of entertaining and informative reading. I will start by sharing my experiences in growing thus far..
I got my syringe from Ralph a little while ago and knocked up 4 jars BRF with B strain, a little over a week ago. 4 jars, 4 jars contaminated I followed instructions to a tee, and I thought my sterile procedure was quite thorough (use of glovebox, thorough steaming of jars, etc) so I dont know what went wrong.
So I was wondering, what do you guys and gals make of these?
The second picture is the lid, with something growing in the inoculation holes. Im guessing cobweb mold. The third is the top of the jar, on top of the verm layer and everything. This also looks like cobweb mold? And it seems the pinkinsh shit in the first pic is some kind of nasty bacterial contamination? I should mention all four jars are very similar in appearance.
Any insight as to the i.d. of this contam is appreciated, or how it may have happened, or advice for next time would be much appreciated as well. Or you can just laugh at me and wish me better luck next time.
Sorry for the long post
Edit: I'm too dumb too figure out how to add pictures apparently
It's hard to say what any of those are, since the picture quality is not the best, but the first picture may just be metabolites, which are enzymes the mycelium excretes to fight off a contamination. It's hard to say, I'd wait for a more experienced identifier, it's not like any contamination I've ever seen.
I'm not sure what might have gone wrong, all I can offer is, as careful as you were this time, be 10 times more careful and sterile next time. Hot box the room with lysol then close the door for 15 minutes. Wipe all surfaces down and thoroughly sterilize all of your equipment.
Most of all, don't get discouraged. I'm on my third attempt right now, my first two having succumbed to various types of mold. As frustrating as it was, I definitely would not call those attempts failures, since I now know what I should not do, and what you can possibly do wrong if you don't pay close enough attention to detail. Keep on truckin!.
oooh, that doesn't look like any metabolites i've seen. My guess would either be neurospora or lipstick mold? Whatever it is, it's not supposed to be there... I hope you didn't open that anywhere near your grow room. That's fucked that there is stuff growing out of the inoculation holes, you fucked up somewhere. With the dry verm barrier, as long as you inject deep enough into the jar, there shouldn't be any mycelium breaching the barrier. There's no nutrients or moisture for fungus to grow there... or there shouldn't be at least...
It should be obvious by now if it is a contamination, I had something similar to that just a few days ago I believe.
I messed up in a few different ways and I ended up with 3 jars with trich (they became obvious after letting em sit for another full day when I noticed some contamination and separated my jars), 2 with something similar to that, but less mycelium, and 1 was just about exactly the same as that except the color seemed to only be in one area... Threw em all out either way and cleaned everything up really well cause I already ordered more spores. Gonna run a filter in my room and make a better terrarium and a bunch of other stuff to make sure it turns out well next time
Whether you mess up or not, it should still be encouraging... I know I had fun, I just wish I kept the last jar so I could of attempted to save it for something to do before I start my next batch
Tips for the future: -Make sure your sterilization process was enough -Be more sterile overall and try not to be lazy -Try not to keep them too wet if that was something you were doing -Clean EVERYTHING before trying again, otherwise you might just be wasting time -The area you are growing in may not be the cleanest so either try a more clean area or fix up the area you're currently using (it may look clean, but still have things that could easily cause contamination such as pets, etc.)
It most likely has something to do with your sterilization (an assumption based on my limited knowledge).
Hahaha 'its not supposed to be there.' No doubt. lol
With 100% contam rate though, I must not have sterilized the jars properly, since the contaminate growth is spread out over the whole area of the jar. Also, I'm thinking some water must have snuck in while I was boiling the jars. That's the only way the cobweb mold growing on the top of the jar makes any sense, in my mind.
Although I definitely was not lazy this time around, I will step up my sterile procedures for the next try.
Assuming I get similar results (ie. 100% contam rate, all jars with similar growth, spread throughout whole are of jar) what has gone wrong. I would think this points to poor jar sterilization, but I have been wrong before...
Anyways, thanks for all your input thus far, and wish me luck for my next attempt!
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: eris, RogerRabbit 506 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic ]