Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava
    #9500511 - 12/27/08 01:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I happen to live in a climate where I could reasonably accommodate all three of these herbal sedatives with the right amount of care; However, I have little idea when would be best to plant each of them in southern California, and specifically what kind of sunlight I should strive for. (I'm in USDA climate zone 10a if I recall right)

The lavender should be nearly zero maintenance in my climate, and the Valerian minimal maintenance, and as long as I plant it in the right location the Kava Kava should be quite content with the right watering.

Otherwise, does anyone have any tips on cultivation? Soil, sunlight, ground vs. containers, and other tips would be peachy. I already have sources for the lavender (duh) and the Valerian, but the kava kava might take a little hunting to find seeds for.

Sedatives really enhance my quality of life on certain days, and a careful mix of herbal sedatives, I'm hoping, should provide that beneficial effect without me resorting to benzodiazepines.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: Konnrade]
    #9500881 - 12/27/08 03:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i have not grown kava but the other two are relatively problem free in almost every way.  just plant and water.  i liked valerian in looser soil, seem to let the roots grow faster (ie not that hard backyard clay type crap a lot of areas have).  i just dug up an area and added coco and sand and mixed ti and they grew super.  that was in canada.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: kadakuda]
    #9501034 - 12/27/08 05:20 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The lavender will thrive with zero maintenance, but for optimal budding some maintenance is required; i.e. pruning and (if you live on acidic or neutral soils) adding some lime to the soil periodically. I quickly googled this page on pruning lavender. This is what you want:

but you won't get it with zero maintenance :wink:

Edited by koraks (12/27/08 05:20 AM)

Offlineplainswalker
Plant Shepherd
Male
Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: koraks]
    #9501494 - 12/27/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Kava does well in full sun and rich, loose soil.  Doesn't like temps under 50F.  It's propagated from cuttings, not seeds (it's as sterile as S. divinorum).  Good luck. :thumbup:

--------------------
tradelist

Offlinemelfdis
Strangerer

Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: plainswalker]
    #9504097 - 12/27/08 08:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

As kadakuda mentions, loose soil for Valerian, also makes it easier to harvest roots and/or to divide roots for propagation. In my experience they grow best in full sun with plenty of water.  Most common garden pests don't seem to be interested in it, with the exception of the occasional slug/snail.  I prefer growing them in containers, for the ease of getting to the roots.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: plainswalker]
    #9505177 - 12/28/08 01:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

plainswalker said:
Kava does well in full sun and rich, loose soil.  Doesn't like temps under 50F.  It's propagated from cuttings, not seeds (it's as sterile as S. divinorum).  Good luck. :thumbup:

Oh, that'll make it a little more complicated, then! (my inexperience is showing, though :tongue2:)

Sounds like a double-edged sword... on the one hand no worries about germinating fragile seedlings, on the other I'll have to play it safe and buy cuttings and rooting hormone...

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Valerian, Lavender, and Kava Kava [Re: Konnrade]
    #9505913 - 12/28/08 05:25 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

just get rooted cuttings :smile:  in the long run, for many species, its worth the extra few bucks for the roots already there :smile:  actually i would think all cuttings are rooted with kava cause of its roots....but i dunno

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies