Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro
    #9470632 - 12/21/08 01:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well, this is my first official grow log. Decided to post this today because I inoculated my jar today. First, Ill provide a detailed description of my equipment and what Im doing.

GROWING CONTAINER (In Vitro)
1 77.5 oz. (~half a gallon) glass jar with aluminum(?) lid.
1 1/4-1/2" hole through the top, stuffed with polyfill and an additional layer of polyfill over the top, taped in place after sterilization (I sterilized the outer polyfil and the tape with hydrogen peroxide)

SUBSTRATE
1 lb. popcorn in jar (2/3 full, it swelled a shitload while being sterilized)

SPORES
1 10 cc syringe (5 ccs used for inoculation) of Golden Teacher

---------------------------------

Preparation
simmered popcorn for 1 hour to weaken the starches, allowing moisture to seep in. Then, pressure cooked in jar for 1 hour at somewhere between 212 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit (I didnt know how to work my pressure cooker the first time lol). I let the substrate rest for a day before giving it another hour at 15 PSI, which Im sure killed off 99.9999999% of would-be contaminants. While it was cooking the second time, I was thinking about the hole and realized that it might be an open door to contaminants, so I soaked another piece of polyfill in peroxide and taped it in place, wiping down the lid and tape with peroxide to ensure no new contaminants were introduced. This was done while the jar was still hot enough to burn me through my sleeves.

The jar sat for 2 days while the spores arrived, and after giving the top a good sniff, I concluded there werent (yet) any contaminants because it didnt smell like anything but cooked popcorn.

It was at this time I realized I should use a glove box to make sure everything was okay while I knocked her up. I was looking around the house for materials I could use to makeshift one, and I walked through a room of my house that has bothered me for a long time. The reason it does is that it has no airflow when both of the doors or shut, which makes it EXTREMELY uncomfortable if youre in there for extended periods of time.

You could practically see the light turn on over my head. I grabbed a can of lysol, my powder-free latex gloves, the syringe and jar, shut the doors, and disinfected every square inch of the corner I was working in (farthest from the doors) and sprayed a healthy amount into the air. I let things settle, donned my gloves (spraying them as well after I got them on), grabbed my lighter and the syringe, and went to work. I put 1 CC in each corner of the jar, and one right in the middle so the mycelium can work its way from all directions (before you tell me that was way too much, think about how big a jar this is and how long it was sitting out. A bit of moisture was welcome)

So, now the waiting game begins.

I plan on fruiting in-jar if it colonizes all the way, and if it doesnt I dont know what Ill do. Suggestions are welcome.

Heres a pic, Ill have more once I see some growth. By the way, the other jar broke.

Edited by Synesthetic (12/21/08 01:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: Synesthetic]
    #9471283 - 12/21/08 05:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hello? Is anybody out there?

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9471308 - 12/21/08 05:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

How full are the jars, I don't see any substrate in the pics.  1/2 gallon is ALOT of substrate, and would take a long time to colonize from an MS inoculation - but I'm guessing that you didn't fill them all the way - correct?  You were right about spreading out your inoculation points tho, that was a good idea.  But give more info about how much sub. is in each jar. 

Now what do you have for holes on your lid, just 1 filled w/ polyfill?  Polyfill is NOT a good filter for a colonizing jar.  Contams can fit thru I think, as polyfill allows FAE.  You did use a 2nd layer, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be good enough.  Jar filters should be micropore tape or Tyvek - which have hole sizes less than a few microns, small enough to keep contams out.  The holes in polyfill would be bigger, thus possibly allowing contams thru.  Plus you also don't have a dry verm layer, as in a PF-tek jar, which acts as a barrier against contams.

Edited by J3illy (12/21/08 06:08 AM)

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: J3illy]
    #9471923 - 12/21/08 09:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The reason I used popcorn is because Vermiculite is out of season where I live. I live in a farming town for hell's sake. Anyway, like I said, there's a pound of popcorn in the jar, and it about tripled in size after the second PC stage.

I've heard some success stories where the growers used polyfill instead of Tyvek. I thought it was okay o.o

Should I find some Tyvek and put a layer over, then? Like I said, I don't smell anything but corn (not even fermented corn), so I'm pretty sure would-be contaminants got crippled from being PCed twice. We'll know in a few days.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9471946 - 12/21/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Polyfill is good enough. It works fine. It does not give excess FAE.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: dead]
    #9472138 - 12/21/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Polyfill may be OK like these guys are saying, I'd just never heard of it for a colonizing jar filter I don't believe.  If I was forced to use it tho, I'd really pack it in the hole, cuz if it's loose I don't see how the holes could ever be less than a few microns.  Even if they were 10-20 microns, that'd still be big enough to let some contams thru.  Micropore and Tyvek have their uses in this hobby because they're less than 2 microns and 1 micron respectively.  But since you used a 2nd polyfill per jar, I think that will definitely benefit you.

Quote:

The reason I used popcorn is because Vermiculite is out of season where I live.

And what'd you mean by this?  Were you originally gonna make PF-tek jars or something w/ BRF and verm?  If you sterilized properly, the only issue I see is you say you have a half-gallon jar 2/3 full.  That's ALOT of substrate.  The highest ppl usually go is quart jars 2/3 full.  So I think w/ just a multispore inoculation, you have alot of time ahead of you for colonization.

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

#9472777 - 12/21/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I know and I'm prepared for that. I hope to get a lot of flushes out of it, though.

I did use 5 CC's to knock the thing up, so it should colonize pretty well. We'll see in a few days when the mycelium starts growing :smile: If it all fails, though, I'll make an LC out of my remaining spores and try again. My goal is to perfect the true in-vitro tek.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9472901 - 12/21/08 01:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Polyfil works just fine as a jar filter. RR shows how to make them in his video - you cut a larger hole in the top and stuff it with polyfil for gas exchange.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: Brennus]
    #9473188 - 12/21/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

But since you used a 2nd polyfill per jar, I think that will definitely benefit you.

Excuse me, if you were talking to me, I actually use micropore myself. Just pointing out you CAN use polyfill if you want, although I really prefer micropore myself.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: dead]
    #9473224 - 12/21/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think he was talking to me.

Polyfill might not be as tight, but it has thickness on its side, and that counts for something.

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

#9483664 - 12/23/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE

3 days after inoculating, no signs of myc yet. No signs of contaminants either, though, so all is well.

Also, I did 2 3/4 pint brown rice jars today that I'm going to birth in to a mini FC after they colonize, and an LC because I'm out of spores. Hopefully, one of my 4 jars will work and I won't have to spend another 20 bucks lol.

One quick question, since the syringe is empty, I just filled it with Isopropyl (91% solution) and put it back in my drawer where it goes. Should be good to keep it sterile until my LC is ready, no?

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

#9483887 - 12/23/08 03:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Isopropyl alcohol will eat away at the rubber stopper in the syringe over time. I just fill it with distilled water, then just boil the syringe before usage.

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: Kagenical]
    #9484835 - 12/23/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I wouldn't have messed w/ the isopropyl inside it.  You're gonna wanna sterilize it immediately before use it for LC anyways, which you accomplish by boiling, and then flaming the needle.

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

#9485796 - 12/23/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think it will take too long, just make sure you wait until you have a nice glob of myc to break up and shake it real good. 

I have a half full quart of colonized WBS and i would like to fruit it invitro, but I dont know what kind of lid i should put on it either.

--------------------

Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
    #16292630 - 05/27/12 04:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well when I sterilize my syringes (usually 4 at a time) i carry 4 zip lock bags..

boil water till its at a good boil. then next to the sink (or container), suck in boiling water in, shoot it out..

repeat like 3 times or so.  but rotate thru the syringes other wise they may start warping. 

so ill just hit them all up with boiling water. shoot them empty into sink. 

then put in ziplock bag until i get it under the hood.  then flame sterilize before usage and you'll reduce problems.  ive got a toughbox fulla shroomdoomz going now ;P

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

OfflineRevolutiontcm
dniM-retsaM
Male User Gallery

Loc: MD Flag
Re: Golden Teacher-First Grow + Log-In Vitro [Re: boneynerd]
    #16292651 - 05/27/12 10:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Stop doin drugz dude

Dead post

--------------------
:whathesaid::nonono:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate