Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN]
    #9397553 - 12/09/08 04:09 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence
December 8, 2008 - The Chattanoogan

A McMinn County meth dealer, who double-crossed federal prosecutors, has wound up getting a 35-year prison sentence.

Prosecutor Steve Neff said if Larry Tallent had cooperated with agents from the start he might have finished serving his sentence by now.

Tallent, who is 29, will be in his early 60s when he gets out of federal prison, Judge Sandy Mattice noted.

A grief-stricken Tallent said, "I never in a million years dreamed I'd be sitting here facing a life sentence."

Tallent admitted to lying on the witness stand during suppression hearings by his initial attorney, Randy Rogers. He said attorney Rogers told him they could "beat the case."

Tallent claimed that attorney Rogers told him to sign a plea agreement in order to get released on bond, then say later he had decided to fight the charges.

Tallent was arrested while out on bond early this year when he said he went riding one night with a man with drugs because "I wanted to get high." The vehicle was stopped when the man drove erratically. Tallent said he has been a meth addict since he was 20.

The federal government later brought additional charges in two superceding indictments, and he wound up with 16 separate drug and firearms charging that added up to sentencing ranges of 360 months-life and a separate 60 months on top of that.

Judge Mattice sentenced him to 360 months plus 60 months.

Prosecutor Neff said Tallent initially was looking at "five to seven or eight years. He likely would have been out of jail by now."

Dan Ripper, Tallent's new attorney, said he was "almost dumbfounded" when he reviewed the case. He said the fact that he could be facing a huge sentence if he gambled in Federal Court and lost "was never covered" with him.

He said his lengthy sentence was "the product of poor advice."

Judge Mattice said Tallent made some foolish decisions driven by his past attorney."

Tallent, a former volunteer firefighter at Riceville, said, "I neglected my family and my friends - all for a high. Now I realize that God and my family are more important than meth."

He said if given another chance, "I'll never go back to the old lifestyle."

But Judge Mattice said the only choice by now is "whether you will spend the rest of your life in prison or will get out when you are an old man."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: veggie]
    #9397696 - 12/09/08 05:30 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Judge Mattice said (more or less) that Tallent made some foolish decisions driven by his past attorney; therefore, we must punish him with 420 months (35 years) to ensure that he will spend the rest of his life in prison or will only get out when he is an old man.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: Seuss]
    #9397864 - 12/09/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

putting a drug addict away for that long is barbaric and expensive.  Making drug addicts into wards of the state enriches the prison guards and the private contractors that build facilities, the state and federal cops, the money launderers and their foreign suppliers, the gun manufacturers and drug dealers.  What it does for you and me: costs billions of dollars a year, does violence to the constitution and the national sense of liberty, infantilizes us, makes our neighborhoods less safe.  Federal sentencing guidelines are no longer mandatory too... judge could have cut that down if he wanted.  :facepalm:

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: Noviseer]
    #9398068 - 12/09/08 08:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I fail to see how these kind of sentences aren't considered cruel and unusual punishment.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: Green_T]
    #9398339 - 12/09/08 09:58 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It's only going to cost taxpayers $1,750,000 to incarcerate this man for 35 years.

another win for the War On Drugs.

cant forget to add: when you enter Tennessee, the volunteer state, you volunteer to give up your rights.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: veggie]
    #9400671 - 12/09/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If they are going to sentence someone to 35 years for selling meth, they should hand out 350 year sentences for selling tobacco.

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: Meth Dealer Who Doublecrossed Feds Gets 35-Year Sentence [TN] [Re: Noviseer]
    #9403796 - 12/10/08 12:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
putting a drug addict away for that long is barbaric and expensive.  Making drug addicts into wards of the state enriches the prison guards and the private contractors that build facilities, the state and federal cops, the money launderers and their foreign suppliers, the gun manufacturers and drug dealers.  What it does for you and me: costs billions of dollars a year, does violence to the constitution and the national sense of liberty, infantilizes us, makes our neighborhoods less safe.  Federal sentencing guidelines are no longer mandatory too... judge could have cut that down if he wanted.  :facepalm:

just wondering what gun manufacturers have to do with any of this?

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order