Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
First mono-tubs(New*****Harvest Pics)
    #9307618 - 11/24/08 09:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I made two monotubs.

These tubs are perfect.  They are 27 gallon and can hold up two seven hundred pounds.  The lids are inset, so they are stackable and they are heavy duty enough to last a life time.

I made two seperate versions to do a head to head test

One fully automated(on top) with a pc fan blowing though a Vacuum HEPA filter.  On the sides there are two vacuum HEPA filters as well. Under the lid is a spaceship 6500K LED light.  The fan, light and and an ultrasonic are all hooked up to a digital timer for use during fruiting.

side view

LED mounted to underside of lid

The second tub(the tub on the bottom) is your basic mono-tub. It has the 8 2" holes drilled in the sides, and has the same led light to be used during fruiting.

The bottoms of these tubs have 1" deep channels in them.  I will fill the Channel with The Vermiculite to absorb any excess water, on top goes webbing for grass seedlings(this will also hopefully keep the mycelium from getting its feet wet, protects grass seedlings from suffocating)

The 1" channels on the bottom inside

The netting

I prepared the bulk substrate as follows
25% coir
50% sheep manure compost(home composted over the past 5 years, my sister is in to organic gardening, thanks for the shit sis)
10% cow manure
5% shredded wheat Straw
5% Shultz soil conditioner(Ceramic nodules made to mimic Vermiculite, but they will not compact like vermiculite does, maintains fluffy sub)
5%  Garden Gypsum
a little hydrated lime and a little ground limestone
A packet of soil moist(these crazy little glass looking crystals that swell up ten times there size into a big jell crystal when water is added.  They release there water as the substrate moisture falls)

Me sifting the sheep compost

The sifting makes it very fluffy

The soil moist

The other ingredients

i then pasteurized at 160 degrees(interior of bag)

And Spawned each tub with 5 quarts of Hard winter wheat berries

I ended up not having enough substrate to do both of the big tubs.  I used the tub 1 above and also used a mini mono made from this

Tub 1

Tub 2

The pinset on the smaller tub

Two days later

The larger tub

The harvest

A few of the monsters

Next to a quart jar

Total wet weight 1,856 grams from both of the tubs.

Edited by arp180 (12/23/08 02:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: First mono-tubs [Re: arp180] * 1
    #9307701 - 11/24/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I do, but only cause I doubt you rigged up the first setup to optimal settings. Getting the FAE/humidity right would be a fight and low humidity will compromise your yields and pinning.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9307830 - 11/24/08 10:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I was more worried about too high humidity without enough FEA, not too low.  But for the most part I couldn't agree more. However, these tubs will last for several grows, and if I am able to get the setup dialed in it will be interesting.  This whole thing was an experiment, but that doesn't mean I don't still want to get a bad ass crop.  It just means I tried alot of things I hadn't before(soil moist, Shultz soil conditioner, the new tubs).  I have several Sweater boxes that i did at the same time to maintain constants in case all else fails.(these are just sheep compost and coir.  I am new at this whole thing, and I am not about taking the fun out of it already.  I will have plenty of time down the road to get set in my ways. until then, all I can do is continue to learn, listen, and maybe help someone else out down the line.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First mono-tubs [Re: arp180]
    #9307895 - 11/24/08 10:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What brand are those tubs?  I might have to try one.

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

#9307971 - 11/24/08 10:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Those are some badass tubs, bro!!!

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9308027 - 11/24/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

They are called Tough Box.  The plastic is about 1/2 thick, they are stackable, up to 700lbs in each tub.  The lids are recessed so when they stack on top of each other it is very sturdy. My favorite part is the lid snaps on like a lego, and has a spot for a pad lock. I have both locked up, just in case someones feeling nosy.  I know the first mono-tub fit out is superfluous, but if you really think about, so are a lot of things.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Edited by arp180 (12/06/08 06:11 PM)

Offlinepsg1
viewer
 User Gallery

#9350167 - 12/02/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Out of curiosity, what settings are your timer(s) on?

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: psg1]
    #9350235 - 12/02/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing yet, they are still colonizing.  When time the light will be 12/12.  The fan will come on for 2 minutes every hour and the ultra, will take a few days to get dialed in once i see how the humidity behaves.  But most likely it will be similar to the fan.

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs *DELETED* [Re: arp180]
    #9374634 - 12/05/08 06:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by arp180

Reason for deletion: posted above

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9375799 - 12/05/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

#9376859 - 12/06/08 12:47 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you made a cutout on the top and fitted it with plexiglass you wouldn't have to open it until you were ready to harvest.  Spawn run is looking good.  Keep us posted!

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9377593 - 12/06/08 07:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

you have any idea how expensive that shit is?

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9377903 - 12/06/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

arp180 said:
I think another two to three days and ill case.  Pretty sexy huh?  My first tubs.

I think you'll need more than 3 days.... My tubs looked like that when they were 30-40% done. You have to remember that you really can't see what's going on the bottom of the tub and in the middle (you got a lot of dark spots in the middle on the side are under done). After they colonize to 100% I'd still let them veg out and chill for 3-5 days just to be on the safe side. Things can go real south otherwise. You put so much work into you're tub you might as well play it safe.

Did you put a frosting layer of spawn or no? If you did you should know the top layer with frosting seems to grow first then rest of the tub. So keep that in mind.

A side from that everything is looking real good man! :thumbup: Also what strain are you growing? I'm just curious for no good reason. Also your monotub is fucking bad ass!

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/06/08 09:44 AM)

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#9377916 - 12/06/08 09:42 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

How does the LED light work for pinning / growth? good or bad?

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: mister]
    #9378807 - 12/06/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know, I am still on my first grow.  It is just an extended grow.  I started like a month or two ago, and never stopped.  I have yet to try the led lights.  There 6500 K lights though, you kind find them at hydro stores, or at my home depot they are over with the flowers.  The more I learn about this hobby, the more I learn there was probably no reason for me to start off with buying such expensive shit. All though every thing I have done so far, has luckily worked awesome.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9380642 - 12/06/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

6500 K is supposed to be the right kind, but I can never find LED lights labeled with this information. It's tragic I'm waiting on the LED post-Christmas sales but can't figure out what is what. If only I had a tub to test some on right now I could run out and get them when they are on clearance.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9380710 - 12/06/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I can't wait to see how this goes. I'm guessing you're going to get a huge first flush from those. Good luck! :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

#9380765 - 12/06/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sometimes they are not labeled with the temp rating, but are labeled with variations like; warm light, soft light, bright light, sun light.  I don't know which one of those it equivalent to 6500K, because mine just said 6500K. LED's produce almost No heat, and use very little electricity.  Fairly soon they will replace HPS lights in cannabis cultivation. Many growers are using LED's with much success. However, the companies producing these lights have not quite nailed it yet.  Very attractive though due to no heat sig.

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: First mono-tubs [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9380807 - 12/06/08 06:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ronjohn7779 said:
Quote:

arp180 said:
I think another two to three days and ill case.  Pretty sexy huh?  My first tubs.

I think you'll need more than 3 days.... My tubs looked like that when they were 30-40% done. You have to remember that you really can't see what's going on the bottom of the tub and in the middle (you got a lot of dark spots in the middle on the side are under done). After they colonize to 100% I'd still let them veg out and chill for 3-5 days just to be on the safe side. Things can go real south otherwise. You put so much work into you're tub you might as well play it safe.

Did you put a frosting layer of spawn or no? If you did you should know the top layer with frosting seems to grow first then rest of the tub. So keep that in mind.

A side from that everything is looking real good man! :thumbup: Also what strain are you growing? I'm just curious for no good reason. Also your monotub is fucking bad ass!

I did not use a frosting layer, nor will i ever. Thank's for the advice though.  I think another 2-3 days will be adequate. I might wait 5 just to be safe though.

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

#9380912 - 12/06/08 06:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I have already began many other projects like
poo jars  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9348260/an/0/page/0

poo cake pinning

Quinoa and amarenth grains

Two new mid size tubs(a monotub, but due to the height very similar to a double tub)
25 gallon but 3 ft tall

Smaller yet

Led mounting on same tub(fairly stealth)

inside with grass netting(same material mentioned above) to keep coir based sub from excessive moisture loss, also keeps water from evaporating on lid, then dripping back down and forming puddles(almost colonized)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix