Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed
    #8940550 - 09/16/08 07:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This is the size......

close up of gills.......

top of cap with size.......

close up of top........

full image........

full image.........

top of cap.......

close up of gills sry the picture messed up...........

gills and part of stem..........

top of cap............

gills...lol I had to hold some of the cap up and tried to do it nonshallant...................

Habitat:#1&2 were under a pine,rained heavily for 3 days straight 2 days previous,NE Ohio,on soil.#3 allso under pine tree.

Gills:# 1 close together,white.#2 wavy,off white.#3white, close together.

Stem:#1 white,hollow,brittle when squeezed because of width, fibrous,veil ring around the stem .#2white,hollow but very fibrous inside,veil rinng around the stem.#3white,brown near the bottom,hollow,veil ring around the stem.

Cap:#1 light gold on out side and darker toward the middle,many small woody like warts,sides of cap curve up.#2 yellow gold like color and when it dries out fades to more gold but still yellow,medium size white paper like warts all over,cracking from outside in in 5 places,when I put water on it to moisten it the water on the top turned yellow (but dont hold me to it).#3 brown, kind of gold,brown woody paper like warts  kind of in a circular pattern,kind of like a half sphere in the middle and toward the outer part it comes up,the outer rim was breaking apart like flower petals were I found it and futher broke on the way home.
Diameter, color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc.

Spore print color:Did not get any I will if it proves crucial.

Bruising:none that I could see.maybe a little browning if you consider that bruising.

Other information:all smell the same,they smell kind of funky and musky I dont know it is hard to explain in words.#1 smells a little like bleach.if someone could help me find diff words to explain smells I could be more  descriptive.

Edited by MUSH HEAD420 (09/16/08 07:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: MUSH HEAD420]
    #8942529 - 09/17/08 02:51 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

#1 looks like a. pantherina, although I've never seen the cap margin curled up quite like that. It's also a huge mofo. The second one is something else, possibly a. muscaria var. formosa, although I'd need to see the base of the stem.

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: koraks]
    #8944903 - 09/17/08 03:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Im not so sure #1 is a pantherina but it dose resemble one,I think the warts on the cap used to be white and papery and just dried out because around them are lighter spots than the rest of the cap,I dont know if that happens though....... I also dont know what you mean by picture of the base of the stem of #2 pls explain.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8944915 - 09/17/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
#1 looks like a. pantherina, although I've never seen the cap margin curled up quite like that. It's also a huge mofo. The second one is something else, possibly a. muscaria var. formosa, although I'd need to see the base of the stem.

I thought formosa only occurs in europe, its called Amanita muscaria var. guessowii over here, correct me if im wrong.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8944920 - 09/17/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MUSH HEAD420 said:
Im not so sure #1 is a pantherina but it dose resemble one,I think the warts on the cap used to be white and papery and just dried out because around them are lighter spots than the rest of the cap,I dont know if that happens though....... I also dont know what you mean by picture of the base of the stem of #2 pls explain.

The rings on the base of the stem are very important when identifying Amanitas.

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8945074 - 09/17/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

well I ate 3/4 of the cap and ran into a maggot (almost puked) this morning and got a little sweaty and blurred vision and fell asleep,and then I found out that you must dry it first.......ooooppss well I am drying out the rest of the cap and the stem right now and then making tea you think it will work?

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8945087 - 09/17/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MUSH HEAD420 said:
well I ate 3/4 of the cap and ran into a maggot (almost puked) this morning and got a little sweaty and blurred vision and fell asleep,and then I found out that you must dry it first.......ooooppss well I am drying out the rest of the cap and the stem right now and then making tea you think it will work?

Its just a maggot who cares, no worries dude.

Once the caps are dry the maggots will die off, Ive notices this alot when hunting subbs.

Be careful with mushrooms in this genus, there are a few deadly ones and a good bit that still need to be studied.

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #8945109 - 09/17/08 04:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

so you ate a mushroom before completely identifying it... :thumbdown:

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: Beege]
    #8945123 - 09/17/08 04:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Beege said:
so you ate a mushroom before completely identifying it... :thumbdown:

I think he might have been sure, at least thats what i got from his post.

But if he was not then hes not that bright.

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8945135 - 09/17/08 04:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I thought formosa only occurs in europe

Some authorities use this name for all A. muscaria fitting this description worldwide (Jenkins), others (Tulloss) restrict its use to Eurasian populations.

var. formosa, has a yellow to orange-yellow cap with yellowish or tan warts and stem.

var. guessowii is yellow to orange, with center of cap more orange or reddish orange than the outer part. It is found throughout North America, but is most common in northeastern North America, from Newfoundland and Quebec down to Tennessee. Some authorities (Jenkins) treat these populations as part of A. muscaria var. formosa, while others (Tulloss) recognize it as a distinct variety.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: HerbBaker]
    #8945158 - 09/17/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

warriorsoul said:

I thought formosa only occurs in europe

Some authorities use this name for all A. muscaria fitting this description worldwide (Jenkins), others (Tulloss) restrict its use to Eurasian populations.

var. formosa, has a yellow to orange-yellow cap with yellowish or tan warts and stem.

var. guessowii is yellow to orange, with center of cap more orange or reddish orange than the outer part. It is found throughout North America, but is most common in northeastern North America, from Newfoundland and Quebec down to Tennessee. Some authorities (Jenkins) treat these populations as part of A. muscaria var. formosa, while others (Tulloss) recognize it as a distinct variety.

It was Tulloss who told me that:grin:

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: Beege]
    #8945187 - 09/17/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I am quite certain it is a  Amanita muscaria var. guessowii

Invisiblekoraks
    #8947839 - 09/18/08 02:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sorry, I overlooked the first pic of the second species. It shows the base of the stem, but that doesn't look too good. No, that doesn't look good *at all*. It's not a. muscaria as it lacks the distinctive concentric rings on the base of the stem, just above the bulb.

DO NOT CONSUME! Forget about the tea you're brewing. I hope eating the 3/4 of the mushroom has not caused any permanent liver damage, but I'm not too sure about that, I'm afraid. You will survive in all probability, but be sure to check yourself into the an emergency room if you show any symptoms of poisoning over the next few days and also be sure to bring the remainder of that mushroom so you can show them what you ate.

Eating an un-ided amanita is really stupid, I hope you realize that now.

Offlinejscix
rawr
 User Gallery

#8948146 - 09/18/08 07:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ouch.. wow.. Eating a wild mushroom is a really bad idea unless your 100% positive, (Is that possible?) Anyway!

if your intent on eating wild mushrooms, at least keep a very large stock of milkthistle on hand... I would suggest going to the doctor ASAP, or at least start a regiment of milkthistle....

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/milk-thistle-000266.htm

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: jscix]
    #8948643 - 09/18/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

#1 looks sketchy to me, though I think #2 is A. muscaria...I don't know about #3...I'd rely on IDs based on fresh specimens before determining edibility/activity. Amanitas tend to change color and can lose features as they dry.

I'd abstain from eating these specimens and look for fresh ones if you're looking for fly agaric.

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

Edited by N2loma (09/18/08 10:24 AM)

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: N2loma]
    #8948926 - 09/18/08 11:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I agree.. these specimens are to old to id with any certainty.

The concentric rings at the base are a great marker for  Amanita muscaria, but sometimes the rings are partial or faint, it's not worth taking the chance with these types.

Offlineburitobomb
artist
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: HerbBaker]
    #8949054 - 09/18/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

#1 a.pantheria #2 amanita muscaria var. formosa by the way if you do not heat the a.muscaria it can kill you remember you have to prepare it right to get muscimol #3 i would not eat

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::smirk:

Offlineburitobomb
artist
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa
Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: buritobomb]
    #8949084 - 09/18/08 12:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i have had plenty of amanita muscaria var. formosa they grow in canada michigan wisconsin ohio minnesota but you will never almost never find an original red species in the states i listed i dont think amanita muscaria is worth your time i call it a berserker because if you take enuff of it you will start beserking the vikings used this mushroom right before they went to war crazy bastards>

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::smirk:

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: NE Ohio 3 amaneta I think....pls ID pics fixed [Re: buritobomb]
    #8949376 - 09/18/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How certain are you that #1 is a.pantheria.......cause I think it is close but no cigar!

Invisiblekoraks
    #8949390 - 09/18/08 01:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

It's really hard to be conclusive when ID-ing amanitas, especially through a few thousand miles of copper wire.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale