Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

A little help with my hunting please!
    #8518961 - 06/13/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone whats up!  Let me start off by saying that this site is wonderful and I love all of the resources here.

I have read all of the beginner hunting FAQs and such, and they have helped immensely.  I was eager to get started so I headed out to my local field this morning and looked around for about an hour.

I found nothing but one teeny tiny mushroom that did not look like the psychedelic kind and it was so little i just left it alone.  So I have a few questions about hunting that maybe you experts can help me out with even after I have read all the FAQs and searched.

first off, I searchd a cow pasture in south carolina

1) How much rain is needed for mushrooms to grow?  Ive read of people going out on completely dry weeks and still finding some, so whats the deal with that?  It rained very hard for about an hour the day before yesterday, so I figured today would be a good day to check.  Am I too early, too late?  Was there not enough rain? 

2) Even though I didnt find anything this time around, should I bother checking again another day?  Or is it time wasted?  I would rather not go to random fields as there is a decent amount behind my house as it is. 

3) I searched two parts of the pasture, one part with short grass but not too much of it.  Lots of dirt.  Some places were much grassier then others.  Then I ventured on into the long grass area, with grass about 2-3 feet tall.  My question is, do mushrooms grow in these tall grasses more or less than the short/normal ones?  Is grass even necessary?  Would they be too hard to spot in the long grass?  The long grass area is where I found the one small mushroom.

4)  What kind of cow poop does it grow on?  Ive read that it doesnt even grow on the poop itself, that it grows on fresh poop, and that it grows on the deteriorating poop.  So where should i be looking most?  Should I sift around the poop?

Perhaps I just need to spend more time out there.  Theres just more long grass area than short grass area and it feels impossible to find anything there.  Should I just persist? 

Also I tried in the dark a bit last night and I felt like it was too dark to find anything, even though ive read that it should be easy to spot in the dark.  Whats the deal?

Thanks in advance for your response...sorry if I sound like a noob I just want to do this right!  Thanks again.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelqdtrance
Hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: critterdude]
    #8519002 - 06/13/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

First thing you need to do is figure out which species you are going to look for. Then look up if it grows in your area. Then you can gather your info on said species and look in the proper places. For Pan subbs you'll need to look in horse pastures or horse manure/compost piles. You can also find them in certtain sodded lawns. You definitely did not look long enough if you were only out for an hour. Take your time, bring some music and enjoy the outdoors. Don't get discouraged and keep on keepin on!!! You'll come across them soon enough. Happy Hunting!!

Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: lqdtrance]
    #8519009 - 06/13/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I should have mentioned I am looking for P. cubensis and I have researched them a bit, it says cow pasture is good place in my state/area.  I am just wondering if I would have seen other mushroom growth in the area or if the setting isn't right.  Perhaps I should wait for more humidity. 

Thanks a bunch for the quick response lqd.

--------------------

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
    #8519025 - 06/13/08 10:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Dont give up Critter, You will find some.:bigblunt:

OfflineMrCubensis
shut em down!
Male User Gallery

Loc: some where in the ocean
Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: creekfreek]
    #8519113 - 06/13/08 10:40 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

p. cubensis is a good place to start where you are at, id sudgest looking on the cow pattys them selves and really close around them. dont worry about the grass for now...

i usually go the day after the rain( i calculate in temp, rainfall, humidity, and time for the pins to fully develop.. definatly go out longer like someone else said and dont give up, i live in a place where the huntin is limited but i still go out regaurdless if i find anything or not

just make sure you properly I.D. anything found before eating them
i usually id anything i find regaurdles if i am going to eat them or not

good luck!:mushroom2:

--------------------

"The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, Creates the rule"

http://educate-yourself.org/ct/

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: creekfreek]
    #8519132 - 06/13/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

tall grass is a good place to find them because it holds moisture very well.  i have never seeen mushrooms grow on fresh poop, its usually the old stuff. keep looking in the tall grass. south carolina has the best cubensis around so gte out there and find some

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #8519240 - 06/13/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys!  Thanks a bunch for the positive encouragement...I took your advice and after reading your responses I went right back out!

I happened to stumble upon something that I think may be cubensis.  Hopefully you guys can help me out.  They usually came in groups, little clusters, but they were small little caps that for the most part didnt have stems.  They almost looked like eggs.  They also were dry, so I'm not sure if I came too late or if they are in the process of growing?  Help me out please I'm quite noob at this stuff!

The thing that worries me is I didn't really see any stems on these.  They werent really rooted to the ground, and seemed loose, almost like eggs.  I didn't touch them much at all just to see if they were stuck to the ground.  Please help!

edit: I would do a full ID report, but I'm not even sure if these are actual mushrooms.

Here are the pics I took:

--------------------

Edited by critterdude (06/13/08 11:19 AM)

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery
Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8519259 - 06/13/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Those arent cubes

but heres some info for you

Psilocybe cubensis
These mushrooms are nick named “Cubes” also known as just “Shrooms”  Psilocybe cubensis can also be shortened to P. cubensis. This is one of the most cultivated (home grown) active mushroom.

Active chemicals
The two major contributing active chemicals are Psilocybin, and Psilocin.

Two other active chemicals are also Baeocystin which is not a major contributing factor of a mushroom trip... A dose of 10mg pure Baeocystin is said to produce entheogenic effects. and Norbaeocystin It is unknown if this contributes to a mushroom trip.

Where do they grow?
They grow most commonly on cow poop, they can also be found growing on horse poop, but they aren't found as commonly on horse poop.

What do they look like?

Cap
The cap when young will be almost completely golden colored, then when they get more matured they have a great golden yellow fade on top. When they get really old or sun bleached the caps can sometimes turn really pale and will no longer be gold or yellow. Sometimes the caps will have spores sprayed on top of them and turn a purple color. The caps can have a verity of different shapes due to weather or genetics. Bell, domed, flat, flat with a nipple, or just crazy shaped.

Closed caps are pretty solid colored

Sun bleached or dried/old

Golden fade

Spores on cap

Waterlogged cubes can look funny also, and they can be waaay soggy when you eat them... Plus if your doing a weighed out dosage they can throw the actual weight off... If your going to dry them find a really fast way to dry them up.

bell shaped

Crazy shaped

Flat or with nipple

Stem
Yellowish colored, and hollow, There is a veil present on the stem with purplish spores on one side and the bottom side (if visible) will be yellow/whitish/blueish/purplish. The stem will bruise blue/green when you squeeze it or break it in two. Also the base of the stems will probably have mycelium growing on them.

See the stems are yellow and have veils with spores dropped on them sometimes the veils are small sometimes they are big.

But keep in mind sometimes the veil wont be purple from the spores because its flappy, or formed differently.

Cubes have hollow stems but Texas cubes are known to be pretty dense and sometimes are pretty meaty and solid and not so hollow inside.

Here is mycelium, its perfectly okay to eat.

Gills
Purplish brown, sometimes they are spore less and only have a light brown color. The gills will also bruise blue/green :laugh:

Bluing
The gills and stem will bruise blue or green, This is the active chemicals oxidizing, this is said to lower the potency so don't bruise them up too much... Only enough to verify that they are indeed Psilocybe cubensis, or Pan cyan... But please note that NON Psilocybe mushrooms will also bruise blue which are potentially poisonous..  So take everything gills, color, shape, and spore print color into consideration when identifying mushrooms.

When can they be found?
Well in Texas people have found them all year around, even around Christmas.. Its best to have around 75F-90F temperatures and a good rain storm... But you can find them from probably 40-75 just in fewer numbers. So whenever it rains for a decent while go out to those fields. If its kind of hot out, check under the trees and the poop around tall grass it helps block the sun.

Dosage
Mushrooms are about 90% water. Take the fresh weight then divide it by 10, the results are about what your dry weight will be. 20 Grams fresh will be about 2 grams dry, but mushrooms can be more dry or more wet so this isn't 100% accurate and can be off by complete grams.

The Great Mushrooms Poll: Shroom Secrets Revealed shows that 27% of people dose ~2 grams dry and 44% of people dose ~3.5 grams dry  so between 2-3.5 grams is the average dose... Sometimes 3.5 grams can be really overwhelming  so you might want to consider dosing 2 grams for your first time... But then again sometimes mushrooms don't effect some people the same as others...

How do you consume?

Straight up
You can eat them right off the cow poop if you wanted to, but i wouldn't recommend tripping on the field unless you own the field... Also make sure you don't eat the poop cut it off. You can also put them under a fan for a day or two until they are cracker dry to store them... Then you can eat those dry mushrooms any time you want to.

Intensify the experience
The Lemon Experience... basically soak mushrooms in lemon juice for X amount of time then dose, it intensifies your experience in an extremely noticeable way :laugh: be careful with it.I have tried this method with 2 grams dry/powdered and it sure works.
Black Currant Juice to increase mushroom effects This experiment is a bit different but it is supposed to extremely intensify your trip.. I have not tried this method yet.

Chocolates
You can put your mushrooms into chocolates, there are a few teks online.
Monstermitch's technique for chocolates

Tea
Mushroom Tea Preparation Here are a number of tea recipes.

Threads
Horse field cubes Ive found a horse field that was producing cubes, the horses ate grass, hay, and whatever other plants they felt like munching on... The field previously had cows and horses interchanged throughout the years but the poop was definitely horse poop that they were growing from.  Almost all of the pictures from this thread were found on horse poop. :laugh:

PinheadX found PLENTY of Cubes growing on mulch piles. Now it is possible that it could have been someones out door grow, or maybe the mulch/compost/manure they used had mycelium in it or spores from the cow field which inoculated the whole pile. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen and it is in NO way common, but his finds should inspire you to keep and eye out everywhere for cubes even off the field. :laugh:
Never say never, MUTANT CUBE, zonate cube, and a polypore.

Photo by PinheadX

--------------------------------------------------

Panaeolus cyanescens
These mushrooms are nick named “Copes” don't confuse them with “Psilocybe cyanescens” they are not the same mushroom. This mushroom is stronger than Psilocybe cubensis. I haven't found a cope yet, cubes are my main mushroom so I don't feel I am qualified to give that much information on them.

Where do they grow?
They grow right along side of Psilocybe cubensis on Cow poop, I believe one mycologist has reported copes growing on horse poop but it isnt common. (I will try to find the documentation on this) Some cow fields produce more copes than cubes some fields produce more cubes than copes.

--------------------------------------------------

Panaeolus subbalteatus
Also known as “Subbs” If you read about people finding “Subs” they are talking about Psilocybe subaeruginascens NOT  Panaeolus subbalteatus so dont confuse the two.

Where do they grow?
Lawns that are taken well care of :laugh: check out Subbedhunter420's subb guide these mushrooms grow all over America in most every state they arent as potent as Psilocybe cubensis but they are indeed active.
Subbedhunter's Complete Guide to Panaeolus subbalteatus

For more information check out

The Ultimate Beginners Guide to: Hunting The Psilocybe cubensis

Shroomery search, and FAQ

OfflineCapBouncer
Friend
Male User Gallery
Loc: Left Side Mitten
    #8519263 - 06/13/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hahahahahaha im sorry but thats rabbit shit

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8519270 - 06/13/08 11:27 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Those look like old deer droppings.

Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: HerbBaker]
    #8519338 - 06/13/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ah damnit...I guess I'll take a look in other areas then.  Can you tell me if the areas pictured look good at all from shroom growth?  I guess that's a dumb question because they can grow in a number of habitats.

I just saw those gold tops and thought they looked an awful lot like the shrooms I've consumed before...but its been a while and my memory has faded perhaps...

Plus, if it was another animal's droppings why would it be growing out of a cow paddy like pictured?

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8519379 - 06/13/08 11:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, are you serious?

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Loc: Dagobah
    #8519446 - 06/13/08 12:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

critterdude said:
Hey everyone whats up!  Let me start off by saying that this site is wonderful and I love all of the resources here.

I have read all of the beginner hunting FAQs and such, and they have helped immensely.  I was eager to get started so I headed out to my local field this morning and looked around for about an hour.

I found nothing but one teeny tiny mushroom that did not look like the psychedelic kind and it was so little i just left it alone.  So I have a few questions about hunting that maybe you experts can help me out with even after I have read all the FAQs and searched.

first off, I searchd a cow pasture in south carolina

1) How much rain is needed for mushrooms to grow?  Ive read of people going out on completely dry weeks and still finding some, so whats the deal with that?  It rained very hard for about an hour the day before yesterday, so I figured today would be a good day to check.  Am I too early, too late?  Was there not enough rain? 

2) Even though I didnt find anything this time around, should I bother checking again another day?  Or is it time wasted?  I would rather not go to random fields as there is a decent amount behind my house as it is. 

3) I searched two parts of the pasture, one part with short grass but not too much of it.  Lots of dirt.  Some places were much grassier then others.  Then I ventured on into the long grass area, with grass about 2-3 feet tall.  My question is, do mushrooms grow in these tall grasses more or less than the short/normal ones?  Is grass even necessary?  Would they be too hard to spot in the long grass?  The long grass area is where I found the one small mushroom.

4)  What kind of cow poop does it grow on?  Ive read that it doesnt even grow on the poop itself, that it grows on fresh poop, and that it grows on the deteriorating poop.  So where should i be looking most?  Should I sift around the poop?

Perhaps I just need to spend more time out there.  Theres just more long grass area than short grass area and it feels impossible to find anything there.  Should I just persist? 

Also I tried in the dark a bit last night and I felt like it was too dark to find anything, even though ive read that it should be easy to spot in the dark.  Whats the deal?

Thanks in advance for your response...sorry if I sound like a noob I just want to do this right!  Thanks again.

1.I find that as long as it rains enough to keep the humidity up to atleast 80% for the entire day, then there has been enough moisture.

2. ALWAYS CHECK AGAIN! Some fields just dont produce, its one of the mysteries of the mushroom. Othertimes you just didnt look in the right places, or they just wernt sprouting when you happend to be tromping around, never give up on a field, until you have cold hard evidence that it will NEVER produce.

3. Theres mixed responces to that question. First off, think logically...generally the cows feed on the grasses in the field, so if theres short grass, that tells you that the cows have been there and were feeding, which results in droped shit. But as someone pointed out, taller grass holds in moisture better, thus increasing the chance for mushroom growth. Its a hit an miss senario, just dont put yourself on a time constraint, and search EVERYWHERE! that way you know you didnt miss anything.

4. If your in a cow field, generally there wont be any other kind of LAGRE fecies around, except mabey horses, which cubensis do grow from. And no, DONT EVER DISTURB THE PATTY, "Flipping" is a common missconception by stupid kids that dont know what theyre doing. That will result in the destruction of the mycelium beneath the patty and eventually, after enough disturbance to the entire field, will cause it to never produce again.

Always persist, the keys to finding actives are, knowlege, persistance, and paitence.
As for night hunting, its got its ups and downs. The obivous is that its harder for people to see you during the night, down side, its harder for YOU to see the mushrooms, i use a tiny blue light when im night hunting. Blue is the easiest color on the human eye, thus its harder to distuingish from long distances.
I do enjoy a good day hunt tho, but in FLA its just too hot.

Good luck in your endavors, and always keep your eyes down my friend.

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: Psilo_Subliminal]
    #8519525 - 06/13/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the informative and positive response, psilo.  Looks like there will be some scattered showers this weekend, so I'll go back out monday and see what I can find.

Is it best to hit the fields up when the humidity is at the 80% mark or after it has been at 80% for a bit?

--------------------

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Loc: Dagobah
    #8519568 - 06/13/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

12-36 hours after a good rain, is usually the rule of thumb.

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

OfflineCapBouncer
Friend
Male User Gallery
Loc: Left Side Mitten
Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: Psilo_Subliminal]
    #8521093 - 06/13/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

no dude i know its rabbit shit, its the size, color, and texture, and you said that these "Mushrooms" didnt have stems haha its entirley possible for a rabbit to shit on other decayed cow shit

Offlinecritterdude
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: CapBouncer]
    #8521206 - 06/13/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Haha I feel pretty fucking stupid for going out and taking pics of them, they just seemed to have that golden psilocybin glow to it...

Still I have hope for these fields... Gonna get some rain the next few days and I'll check after.

Thanks again for all the positive support you guys have given!  Expect to hear more from me later

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8521295 - 06/13/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

At least you didnt taste test it.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: HerbBaker]
    #8521353 - 06/13/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

warriorsoul said:
At least you didnt taste test it.

:lol:its all good dude keep trying dont get dicouraged:thumbup:In my experience with pickin active(usually Ps. weilii)they take 1-7 days after a good rain too fruit with the larger specimens taking a week and the smaller 1-2 days.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: A little help with my hunting please! [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8521388 - 06/13/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When I was a boy an old black man sold me some of those "mushrooms" and said they were "smart pills."  They tasted really nasty and after comparing them with rabbit turds I figured out what they were.

I took the "pills" back to the black man and told his they weren't smart pills, they were rabbit turds.

He said, "See. You're getting smarter already."

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale