Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Next > | Last >
OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Imaginationland
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: AgroCrag]
    #8358846 - 05/03/08 07:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Very post rock folk sounding, definitely some hippie roots

Six Organs of Admittance - The Sun Awakens

Quote:

Fujiya & Miyagi are not Japanese nor are they a duo, but are in fact a trio of rather cheeky Brits. Keeping with the multi-cultural theme, they also love Neu!-style Krautrock, with its metronome rhythms and cerebral melodies. This second release after 2003's Electro Karaoke in the Negative Style is filled with sly statements and cute jokes about commodity and materialism--Transparent Things is a particularly apt title--but more than anything else it's a goofball lark. With the music-nerd navel-gazing of LCD Soundsystem, but also the sonic aesthetic of Stereolab, it can be enjoyed regardless of whether you want to get geeky. Some might say it's best enjoyed that way, as some of the record's most enjoyable moments, like the skittery last few minutes of "Photocopier" or the instrumental "Cassettesingle" aren't about words at all. At times it's downright danceable, with tracks like "Reeboks in Heaven" exhibiting an abstract, electro grooviness. Their devotion to quirk ends up being a little too cute occasionally (like when they use the band name as a chant in "Ankle Injuries"), but their energy is so harmless it's easy to overlook it. Don't worry about getting all the jokes; Fujiya & Miyagi would likely be happier if you turned your brain off and cut a rug instead.

Fujiya & Miyagi - Transparent Things

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
    #8358859 - 05/03/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

While it wasn't the whole world waiting patiently for Jeremy Enigk's follow-up to his 1996 solo debut Return of the Frog Queen, a healthy fraction has followed the Seattle artist's work since Sunny Day Real Estate and through the Fire Theft. And most will find the wait for this one well worth it. Enigk's voice is close to perfection, blanketed by resonating melodies and bold arrangements, and although his lyrics can be difficult to decode, they flutter beneath the swirling guitars and calming keyboards in a near fragile state. "I cannot change any man's hate/But I can make known forgiving waters have flown," Enigk pleads in the self-forgiveness song "River to Sea," which rivals the immensely personal "Dare a Smile" and spooky "Damien Dreams" as the album's best tracks. The latter is one of several on World Waits written nearly a decade ago, some intended for another Fire Theft record. That, apparently, remains on the back burner, while Jeremy Enigk's solo career is out front.

Jeremy Enigk - World Waits

Quote:

This is the debut from Oxford, England's five-piece dance-rock band. Completing the circuit between the minimalism of American composer Steve Reich, guitars that sound like insects, and tennis player Andy Roddick, theirs is a uniquely winning formula. Driving percussion high in the mix, guitars played above the 12th fret, no chords, and splashes of synth color all come together like the schematics for a piece of precision engineering.

Foals - Antidotes

OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
    #8358867 - 05/03/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Minus the Bear's Planet of Ice marks the Seattle band's third full-length release (not counting three EPs and a remix album), and achieves an effect as spacious and blinding white as the landscape the title evokes. Psychedelia and math rock are here in equal parts, making for a somewhat bi-polar listening experience--the excellent "Part 2" opens with a downright Pink Floydian acoustic guitar before winding up to a driving circuitous conclusion, while nine-minute closer "Lotus" reels all over the stylistic map, starting and stopping in a mini-suite of hammering guitars and vaporous keyboards. Most songs keep well away from a standard verse-chorus structure, with lyric and instrumental passages stitched together like some indie rock Frankenstein (tracks are occasionally book-ended by wittily realized sonic manipulations that might cause the listener to check the CD for skips), but Minus the Bear keeps the melodies potent and the emotion high enough to prevent Planet of Ice from drifting into impenetrable shoe-gazer territory.

Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice

Quote:

While Spencer Krug's unique vocals, imagery, and wibble-wobble song structure remain intact, Random Spirit Lover showcases great growth for both he and his band as musicians. Spencer's voice and unique instrumental choices may scare some away, but with repeat listens, you truly see numerous layers to these new songs. The album begins with the same sound you may have come to expect from Sunset Rubdown on Shut Up I am Dreaming and also from Spencer while performing with Wolf Parade. Songs like "The Mending of the Gown" and "Up on Your Leopard, Upon the End of Your Feral Days" feature the same frantic, yelping and infectious lyrics that have become Krug trademarks. The album takes a turn at "Winged/Wicked Things" and slowly grows and evolves into a more refined yet experimental version of a band that has obviously started to discover their identity. The latter half of the album, beginning with "The Taming of the Hands that Came Back to Life," all the way till the last second of "Child-Heart Losers," features the band's best music to date and also the signs of a band that have become their own entity, far removed from Wolf Parade or Frog Eyes.

Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover

OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
    #8358886 - 05/03/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

good stuff, their newest release

The Dodos - Visiter

Quote:

They may be signed to Domino--the same label that unleashed Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys on the world--but the last thing London duo Galia Durant and Carim Clasmann want to do is pick up a guitar. Their second album is most notable for its pots-n-pans percussion and thrift store brass, which, when paired with a series of lavish electro-folk melodies, make the band sound like the Postal Service's exotic foreign cousin or a more homespun Stereolab. "Cosy in the Rocket" will already be familiar to fans of "Grey's Anatomy": it's the hit televisions series' theme song. The rest of the disc will sound reassuringly unfamiliar to all.

Psapp - The Only Thing I Ever Wanted

OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
    #8358891 - 05/03/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

woooeh that took some out of me, enjoy!

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
    #8359303 - 05/03/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

holy fuck shit fuck. in a couple of days when i have the time, i'm gonna dload like fucking 25 albums off this thread because i'm way behind. this is exciting.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8359500 - 05/03/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I can attest to that Helio Sequence cd being outstanding. I listnened to it over and over for about a week and a half straight when I downloaded it.

InvisiblePat Bateman, VP
Dr. House's Inspiration
Female User Gallery

Loc: Inconceivable opulence
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: Redstorm]
    #8360156 - 05/04/08 02:25 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I want to make love to this thread.

--------------------
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture.
-  Andrew Ryan

Formula: 0

Invisible0kehSt0nr
Bakery Fresh
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: smb://slakcr
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: Pat Bateman, VP]
    #8362522 - 05/04/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Mercury Rev: Dream pop, Noise pop, Space Rock, Experimental Rock, Chamber pop, Indie Rock, Americana

Mercury Rev - Disaster Songs

--------------------

Invisible0kehSt0nr
Bakery Fresh
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: smb://slakcr
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: 0kehSt0nr]
    #8362603 - 05/04/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
http://www.divshare.com/download/4414668-feb

--------------------

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #8362624 - 05/04/08 07:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/06/13 12:46 AM)

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: Pat Bateman, VP]
    #8362795 - 05/04/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Le Narrateur said:
I want to make love to this thread.

I'm all giddy like a kid in a candy shop. I don't even know where to start downloading! Soo many good albums.

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #8363666 - 05/05/08 12:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well Teddy my friend, I'll make that an easy decision for you...start here! Seriously, this is one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite indie bands. It is honestly a phenomenally mind-blowing record.

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump

I'd say this album and their earlier release 'Under The Western Freeway' (which I also uploaded here a while back) are equally as incredible. The difference however is that this record is basically one cohesively themed body of work, most of the tracks cascading in and out of eachother.

For those of you unfamiliar with Grandaddy, I highly, highly recommend giving them a try. I would say they are one of the most underrated bands from their era, despite the fact that one of their songs is featured in a fucking Pontiac commercial (oh well, i discovered nick drake's music through a volkswagen commercial when i was 16 so there are exceptions). Anyhow, I honestly think I could give a 100% guarantee that virtually anyone will find at least some of these songs to be extremely meaningful to them in some way or another. These guys are just very down to earth. Jason Lytle really had a knack for writing nostalgic, bittersweet songs about longing for a certain thing or place that exists only in memory, in the past. Some of their songs are truly heartbreaking in this sense, but a lot of the elements in the actual music's instrumentation would hardly be described as depressing. the guitar riffs are often times crunchy and charged with a uniquely awesome energy, and their signature keyboard melodies are just about the tastiest I've ever heard. This is some good shit, so just download it already.

:wink:

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
    #8364842 - 05/05/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

For just two guys, the Helio Sequence can generate a serious racket. With the effusive drumming of Benjamin Weikel (who also plays keyboards), and the nimble use of effects pedals from guitarist/vocalist Brandon Summers, their 2000 debut Com Plex leaned toward My Bloody Valentine-like daydreamy noisescapes. Their output since then has evolved, with a deepening commitment to pop melody and structure. Keep Your Eyes Ahead is the truest expression so far of that trait. Summers maintains a grainy quality to his singing, but he's added sweetness and a lighter sense of tone. That shift toward lightness extends to the songwriting, which on Eyes is consistently catchy and focused. "Can't Say No" uses a double-time cadence in the verse to make the song's hook burst like the sun through a hurricane’s eye. Not that they’ve forgotten how to bring the shoegaze; "Hallelujah," for one, flies off into space on a wave of epic, bliss-fuzz guitar. Still, the record is short and cries out for one last big scream. Instead, they end with the whisper of "Broken Afternoon" and the folksy, Dylan-esque "No Regrets." Their increasing subtlety has cost them some grandeur, but their melodious gifts are more seductive than ever.

^Awesome album:thumbup:

The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead

This is the one I chose to go with first, and its fucking GOOD! I'm going to have to give this one a few more days before I decide to move onto another album.

Great post!

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #8365152 - 05/05/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Feist - Remixes EP
-Sealion (Chromeo Remix)
-My Moon My Man (Boys Noize Classic Remix)

http://www.mediafire.com/?vmexubn2cnl

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

http://www.mediafire.com/?yxidwnnixe9

Dont sleep on the feist remixes they are really good. I havent really listened to much of the death cab cd yet but death cab is a good band and it should be good.

Offlinerazmablues
Biologist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: OrangeCounty
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: relativexistance]
    #8365270 - 05/05/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Dr Dog- Toothbrush

Dr Dog's first album i believe, Really raw sounding awesome stuff, really original folky, bluesy, psychedelic, poppy.... lots of genres, done with great talent and musicmanship.

a must have :thumbup:

http://rapidshare.com/files/112817899/dr._dog_-_toothbrush__2003_.rar.html

--------------------
soft silly music is meaningful, magical :heartpump:

Offlinequietlyconfident
Stranger
Male
Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: razmablues]
    #8365448 - 05/05/08 03:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.zshare.net/download/115851300f52f05f/

Deer Tick - War Elephant

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

Deer Tick is the band name of guitarist and singer-songwriter John McCauley's rock trio. Deer Tick's music has often been described as a combination of folk, blues, and country with a strong grunge influence. McCauley is known for his distinct gruff-sounding voice.

Great album.
Here is a quick sample so you know what you'll be getting:
Deer Tick - Art Isn't Real

http://www.zshare.net/download/115854265074ef12/

Two Gallants - Two Gallants

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

Two Gallants feature a duo of guitar and drums, and their music is rooted in the blues. However, Two Gallants are more influenced by the delta blues and folk music (such as Robert Johnson and Skip James) rather than the White Stripes' electric blues, which is based on the music coming out of Chicago and Detroit. Stephens plays bass, melody, and harmony simultaneously in the blues tradition, but with folk fingerpicking. Vogel's percussion is a trap of a hi-hat, 2 ride cymbals, 2 floor toms, a snare drum, and a bass drum with an even smaller trap for acoustic concerts. His play is melodic rather than rhythmic. Themes of their lyrics include archaic stories of murder, theft, the old west, Antebellum South and racism along with more personal accounts.

Another awesome album. There are some similarities between Two Gallants and Deer Tick, so if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

Here's a music video of the song "Despite What You've Been Told":
Two Gallants - Despite What You've Been Told

Enjoy!

Offlinerelativexistance
 User Gallery

Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: quietlyconfident]
    #8371107 - 05/06/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

could someone please upload the new wolf parade album? all the links ive found are dead or have been del.

also would anyone like me to upload some smiths albums, i dont think you could exactly call them indie as all their stuff is prob owned by a major label by now, however i feel like people def would like some. i mean you prob have them anyways but idk if you dont or whatever. the smiths kick ass and ya idk i just thought id throw that out there.

Offlinerelativexistance
 User Gallery

Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: Soularize]
    #8371169 - 05/06/08 10:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

btw Soularize grandaddy rocks good rip man. have you ever listened to jeff buckley or spiritualized, you prob have but i just thought id toss it out there.

Offlinerelativexistance
 User Gallery

Re: The Indie Album Thread (moved) [Re: relativexistance]
    #8371307 - 05/06/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i just posted a link of this in the hip hop thread too, but i think this fits here as well. fucking great album by a really great group. fun album, party-ish, bumping beats idk its just good plz listen and THEN judge. its been out for a while but its still teh hotness.

Ratatat - Remixes Vol II
http://www.mediafire.com/?yfjlc4fyw09

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates