Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePledge2Educate
Der Pilzkönig
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Jena Six
    #7431094 - 09/20/07 04:49 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

By The Associated Press
JENA, La. (AP) -- Prosecutors reduced the attempted murder charge against another of the "Jena Six," a group of black high school students whose criminal charges after the beating a white classmate drew protests of racism and unequal justice.

Robert Bailey Jr. pleaded not guilty Monday to aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated battery.

He was among five of the six teens originally charged as adults with attempted murder. The sixth was charged in juvenile court.

Mychal Bell, the only member of the "Jena Six" to be tried so far, was convicted of aggravated battery; the judge threw out his conspiracy conviction. Prosecutors also dropped the attempted murder account to battery last week in the cases of Carwin Jones and Theo Shaw when they were arraigned.

That left Bryant Purvis the only youth yet to be arraigned and still charged as an adult with attempted second-degree murder.

The victim of the Dec. 4 beating, Justin Barker, was treated at a hospital for injuries and released the same day. The motive for the attack was never established, but it came amid tense race relations in Jena, a mostly white town of 3,000 in north-central Louisiana. Three nooses had been hung in a tree at the school earlier, and the students involved were briefly suspended.

A conviction for attempted second-degree murder requires 10 to 50 years at hard labor without suspension, probation or parole. Aggravated battery can be punished with up to 15 years and a $10,000 fine.

Bell's attorney Bob Noel said he expects an appeals court to overturn his client's battery conviction.

He has accused LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters of using "bait-and-switch" tactics to try Bell as an adult. Under Louisiana law, a juvenile charged with aggravated battery may be charged as an adult only if the attack involved a firearm, but murder and attempted murder charges can be brought in adult court.

The Rev. Al Sharpton wrote to Gov. Kathleen Blanco and the state board of ethics on Monday asking for an investigation of the district attorney's actions in the case.

"The prosecutor from the beginning of this case has seemingly employed less than ethical and just legal tactics in over zealous attempts to have Mychal Bell unjustly convicted," Sharpton's letter said.

Sharpton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and other black leaders have called for a rally in Jena on Sept. 20, the day of Bell's sentencing, to protest the teens' treatment.

--------------------
Enjoy my Posts? Rate Me

GGreatOne234 said:
I've never come across a cow pasture in
Florida that did not have No Trespassing signs.
Those signs mean stay the f away.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNickio
Authority
Male User Gallery

Re: Jena Six [Re: Pledge2Educate]
    #7431446 - 09/20/07 08:54 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

A story on Yahoo I read said that some kids hung nooses on a tree then a gang of 6 black guys jumped one white kid and beat him brutally.

Then I read a little more into it and it seems as though a lot more shit went down before that, a lot of racial tensions and the white kid was the one that instigated the fight in the first place. I'm thinking Yahoo might be a little racist :X

--------------------

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Jena Six [Re: Nickio]
    #7431484 - 09/20/07 09:10 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I read about this in July. Basically what happened is the whole fuckin area is racist including the principal (who did some racist things) the white kids hung nooses so the black kids got scared/pissed off. The white kids beat up some black kids. One white kid brought out a shotgun and a black kid took it from him(self defense) but HE was the one who was blamed. the whole goddam thing makes me sick

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Jena Six [Re: learningtofly]
    #7431569 - 09/20/07 09:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I wasn't there so I don't know what happened. But, here's how I understand things:

1. Some white kids hung the nooses on a tree.
2. Black kids got pissed off and brutally beat a white kid.
3. Sharpton opens his big fucking mouth and tries to get leniency for the black kids.

In my opinion the white kids should be charged with some type of racial intimidation. BUT, the black kids should be tried for the very serious charge of battery and maybe even attempted murder. What the white kids did wasn't right but the black kids' crime was much more severe as it involved violence.

And of course Sharpton swoops down like a fucking vulture because he likes getting his name in the paper. That piece of shit race-baiting demagogue scumbag who incites the black community to continually play the victim is a tumor.

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
Re: Jena Six [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7431603 - 09/20/07 10:10 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

if nickio is right in saying that the white kid instigated the fight, then i think the black kids really should only be tried for battery. Obviously it's not cool to have a 6 on 1 fight, but if that 1 is an ignorant redneck brandishing a shotgun, then i start to feel a bit more empathetic for the defendants.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Jena Six [Re: Pledge2Educate]
    #7431608 - 09/20/07 10:14 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It was a fucking fight.

Is there anyone here who DIDNT see a fight in high school?

ANYONE?

Did anyone in the fight get charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineNickio
Authority
Male User Gallery

Re: Jena Six [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #7431615 - 09/20/07 10:19 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

'The trouble started under “the white tree” in front of Jena High School. The “white tree” is where the white students, 80% of the student body, would always sit during school breaks.

In September 2006, a black student at Jena high school asked permission from school administrators to sit under the “white tree.” School officials advised them to sit wherever they wanted. They did.
The next day, three nooses, in the school colors, were hanging from the “white tree.” The message was clear. “Those nooses meant the KKK, they meant ‘Niggers, we’re going to kill you, we’re going to hang you till you die,’” Casteptla Bailey, mom of one of the students, told the London Observer.

The Jena high school principal found that three white students were responsible and recommended expulsion. The white superintendent of schools over-ruled the principal and gave the students a three day suspension saying that the nooses were just a youthful stunt. “Adolescents play pranks,” the superintendent told the Chicago Tribune, “I don’t think it was a threat against anybody.”'

'Jena is the site of the infamous Juvenile Correctional Center for Youth that was forced to close its doors in 2000, only two years after opening, due to widespread brutality and racism including the choking of juveniles by guards after the youth met with a lawyer. The U.S. Department of Justice sued the private prison amid complaints that guards paid inmates to fight each other and laughed when teens tried to commit suicide.

Black students decided to resist and organized a sit-in under the “white tree” at the school to protest the light suspensions given to the noose-hanging white students.

The white District Attorney then came to Jena High with law enforcement officers to address a school assembly. According to testimony in a later motion in court, the DA reportedly threatened the black protesting students saying that if they didn’t stop making a fuss about this “innocent prank… I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I can take away your lives with a stroke of my pen.” The school was put on lockdown for the rest of the week.

Racial tensions remained high throughout the fall.

On the night of Thursday November 30, 2006, a still unsolved fire burned down the main academic building of Jena High School.

On Friday night, December 1, a black student who showed up at a white party was beaten by whites. On Saturday, December 2, a young white man pulled out a shotgun in a confrontation with young black men at the Gotta Go convenience store outside Jena before the men wrestled it away from him. The black men who took the shotgun away were later arrested, no charges were filed against the white man.

On Monday, December 4, at Jena High, a white student – who allegedly had been making racial taunts, including calling African American students “niggers” while supporting the students who hung the nooses and who beat up the black student at the off-campus party – was knocked down, punched and kicked by black students. The white victim was taken to the hospital treated and released. He attended a social function that evening.

Six black Jena students were arrested and charged with attempted second degree murder. All six were expelled from school. '

These are the main points. The full text can be found at http://www.freethejenasix.com/

I know that site is biased, but if these are the true accounts at what happened, it really is bullshit. It's fucking stupid that the law system is racist in this way, everyone should get a sentencing according to what their crime was. That includes the blacks.

--------------------

OfflineNickio
Authority
Male User Gallery

#7431621 - 09/20/07 10:23 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Oh it also says that the white guys got charged for what they needed to be charged with. So I suppose the black guys just need to be charged with battery and let this shit be over with, this is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some crazy shit go down soon. BTW theres no doubt that town is racist, look at this quote I found by one of the white townspeople...

'One person even said “We don’t have many problems with our blacks.”'

YOUR blacks? wow.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7431634 - 09/20/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
if nickio is right in saying that the white kid instigated the fight, then i think the black kids really should only be tried for battery. Obviously it's not cool to have a 6 on 1 fight, but if that 1 is an ignorant redneck brandishing a shotgun, then i start to feel a bit more empathetic for the defendants.

Well, if that is true it changes things. If the white kid brandished a shotgun and instigated the encounter then the black kids' reaction could be seen as justifiable self-defense.

However, my whole point in all of this is that our examinations of this incident should be color-blind. Let's examine the facts of what happened and punish those involved accordingly. But, Sharpton plays the race card (as always). It's this kind of "victim mentality" that causes seperatism and division between the races which leads to this kind of tension in the first place.

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#7431643 - 09/20/07 10:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

okay. wow. the fucker who was "brutally assaulted" was out of the hospital and at a party that same day? that's just bullshit. i was under the assumption that he at least had a few broken bones and was laid up in the hospital, if not in critical condition. madtowntripper is right, any criminal charges in this are fucking ridiculous. and the blatant racism is astounding.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7431646 - 09/20/07 10:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'm fine w/ battery.

But not attempted murder, which is the charge, no?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7431649 - 09/20/07 10:32 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Nickio said:
'One person even said “We don’t have many problems with our blacks.”'

hahahaha Priceless quote.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Jena Six [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7431652 - 09/20/07 10:34 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I'm fine w/ battery.

But not attempted murder, which is the charge, no?

originally, but it was dropped. now it is just second degree battery and conspiracy.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7431658 - 09/20/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

However, my whole point in all of this is that our examinations of this incident should be color-blind. Let's examine the facts of what happened and punish those involved accordingly. But, Sharpton plays the race card (as always). It's this kind of "victim mentality" that causes seperatism and division between the races which leads to this kind of tension in the first place.

Aren't you making the assumption that race WASN'T an issue? If the DA is a racist pig, then whats the harm in calling a spade a spade?

Assuming that just because Sharpton is saying this whole thing is racially motivated, that it ISNT racially motivated is asinine. Its not about Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or the KKK. Its about 6 high-school kids who are going to go to PRISON for MANY YEARS, for a high-school fight.

That *IS* injustice, no matter who decries it.

--------------------

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: Jena Six [Re: JT]
    #7431659 - 09/20/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

what's the evidence for the conspiracy charge?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Jena Six [Re: JT]
    #7431665 - 09/20/07 10:37 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

justin_thyme said:
originally, but it was dropped. now it is just second degree battery and conspiracy.

Conspiracy to whoop some honkey ass.

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#7431677 - 09/20/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

but did they actually conspire? i was under the impression that it was a crime of passion, incited by the dumbass making racist comments.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7431685 - 09/20/07 10:42 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'm assuming for 6 people to get together and commit a crime, there has to be some kind of planning, yes?

Like I say, I dont have a problem w/ an assault charge. I dont think anyone can argue that it WASNT an assault, whether it was brought on by the actions of the white kids or not is irrelevant.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7431692 - 09/20/07 10:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
If the DA is a racist pig, then whats the harm in calling a spade a spade?

If the DA is shown to have engaged in some type of misconduct he should be removed.

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Assuming that just because Sharpton is saying this whole thing is racially motivated, that it ISNT racially motivated is asinine.

Imagine the racial roles reversed.  What if white kids had been trying to sit in the black area and the black kids did some racist shit.  Then a fight broke out between six white kids and one black kid.  Who's side would Sharpton be on?  Hm...not hard to tell in that situation because the man is biased.

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Its not about Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or the KKK. 

Exactly.  But, Sharpton tries to make himself a part of this shit.  He swoops in like a hawk to stir up trouble and play the race card.  The guy is a scumbag.

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Its about 6 high-school kids who are going to go to PRISON for MANY YEARS, for a high-school fight.

It matters what the circumstances of the fight were.  Was it just a scrap and the white kid wasn't hurt much?  Did the white kid end up in a coma and in intensive care?  Did the white kid really instigate things with a gun?  All of these details will have a bearing on what these black kids should be charged with and how they should be punished.

In my opinion, if it's just some minor high school scrap then it's no big deal.  :shrug:  The black kids should get maybe 20 hours of community service or something.

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#7431713 - 09/20/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I'm assuming for 6 people to get together and commit a crime, there has to be some kind of planning, yes?

did they actually "get together and commit a crime", or were they just hanging out together when the white kid started some shit? if it's the latter, then that doesn't seem like conspiracy to me - it wasn't premeditative, it wasn't like "okay, we'll wait for him over there and jump him.. you take the torso, i'll take the head".

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates