Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNova

Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back...
    #7221876 - 07/25/07 11:44 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My good friend/roommate came back from 10k lakes in a state of very severe psychosis. He likes to go to shows/festivals and eat acid but he came back from this one completely delirious and psychotic. Me and my other friends gave him a day to see if he would come down at all and asked him questions to see how in touch with reality he was but his condition got worse so we walked him into the ER last night.

He's been in the hospital since then and off any drugs (except pot) for about three days (we think) but hasn't improved. He basically talks non stop in a delirious frenzy about stuff someone would if they were on a ton of acid. Half of what he talks about is really deep philosophical stuff that although sounds like crazy rambling it is understandable (stuff about energy light existence etc). The other half is psychological issues, like stuff you would tell a psychologist. He also started talking with a scottish accent for some reason. But he was not just 'still tripping' you could tell he lost his grip on reality.

The list goes on and on but thats the best I can do to describe his state right now. My question is, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Will he get better soon?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Nova]
    #7222060 - 07/25/07 12:31 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's unfair of you to call this post what you did.
Your friend may have been on some kind of substance when this change in his personality happened but its not appropriate to insinuate the substance was at the cause.
Much has happened to this guy that you and I don't know, all of which has an effect and has led up to this point.
As you said half the stuff he was saying was stuff you should tell a psychologist.

I have seen happen to a few people. In most cases drugs had triggered or exacerbated some existing mental instabilities.

I am not going to go into detail of specific people and situations but let me say I have seem my fair share of insane crazy brain damage.
:braindamage:
And It could be contagious, I have even seen the edge of sanity my self, sanity is such a loose term,
I couldn't call myself or anyone I know "sane". just varying degrees of stability, but lets not get into that.
I am just sane enough to know not to say all the crazy shit I think to just anyone, I have a buffer zone, I don't want a padded cell.
Your friend has lost his buffer, most likely a few weeks ago he was thinking the crazy shit he is now saying out loud.

Most mental health places will just say "drug induced psychosis" and give you some type of anti psychotic or sedative medication, but there is a lot more to it than that.

There are a few different mental disorders he may have, which need to be treated differently and will have different recovery results.
You need to be patient and stay his friend no matter what shit he says and does, even if it makes you feel a bit crazy.

You could have given him a little more time to come around, I hope he doesn't hold it against you guys for sending him away.

He could come round in a matter of days or weeks, but could still be a little different than he used to be.
If hes medicated then he will be quiet, not talking shit,  but not the same person.

Or it could be a prolonged period of instability, but with the help of friends in a good environment (not a psych ward) he should come back to a balance.

Hard to say whats gonna happen really, just hope for the best and try to help as much as you can.

I can't explain the Scottish accent, pretty strange.
Maybe he was Scottish in a past life or is Scottish and you didn't know, or the dude that sold him the acid was Scottish.:shrug:

Edited by UnderNose (07/25/07 12:45 PM)

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: UnderNose]
    #7223120 - 07/25/07 05:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Stanislov Grof has written volumes about this, even about speaking in a different accent. If you want to understand what is happening to your friend, or want him to understand, you should check out some of those books. Particularly "The Adventure Of Self-Discovery" and "Spiritual Emergency". This guy is one of the leading transpersonal psychologists.

By the way, I had a psychotic break after some acid, that was super intense for about 3-4 months, and less intense for another year. But after working through it, I'm 10x a better and more mature person because of it.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

OfflineCosmicStorm
Stranger

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Nova]
    #7223238 - 07/25/07 05:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

When my uncle was 18, he messed around alot with drugs...my mom told me he used acid. It must have triggered something because he's fucked up bad.

He's been diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. He is now 42...and has been locked up in mental institutions since he was 18.

Maybe your friend triggered something? Some people shouldn't fuck around with that shit.

--------------------
"Observing spirits on the wall, What are they telling you?" -Death

OfflineNova

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: UnderNose]
    #7223284 - 07/25/07 05:41 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I understand what you mean, but there is no doubt that drugs triggered this to happen and that is the reason I titled the post as such.

Also I don't know if I was clear on how serious it is... i mean he's not just like a different person with some weird beliefs.. he stopped eatting sleeping drinking going to work, was unresponsive to questions, has voices in his head, and just rambled on and on in thought loops. He didn't even know what was going on when we brought him to the hospital, he just kept going on and on while the nurses were getting freaked out.

I just herd that even after treating him in the hospital he hasn't improved so they are moving him to a mental hospital. Also keep in mind he left to come back sunday and it is now wed so its been four days.

OfflineNova

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #7223370 - 07/25/07 06:02 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

jonathan- interesting book references, I looked into them a little on amazon. I may be wrong but it seemed to deal with someone who experienced 'spiritual rebirth' but still capable of functioning normally, but forced to maybe makes changed due to changes in thought patterns.

Like i posted ^ above (second post) it seems like my friend experienced something along these lines but was rendered incapable of even functioning normally. Could you maybe explain what those first intense 3-4 months of your experience was like?

cosmicstorm- unfortunately at this stage it is still a possibility and that is what worries me. sorry about your uncle.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Nova]
    #7223425 - 07/25/07 06:22 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe he's just more in touch with what's really going on in the Universe. Of course that makes him unfit for decent society and that could be a little difficult. Just continue to treat him as a friend and hope for the best.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Icelander]
    #7224681 - 07/26/07 12:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

:yesnod:
What he said.:thumbup:

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

:dna::dna:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Nova]
    #7224941 - 07/26/07 02:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I just herd that even after treating him in the hospital he hasn't improved so they are moving him to a mental hospital. Also keep in mind he left to come back sunday and it is now wed so its been four days.

I think that moving him to a mental hospital is the worse mistake that could happen. Believe me, nobody wants to be in that place. Ever.
I think that if he stays there, he'll end up really crazy.
If I were you I would take him back and just help him, leaving him manifest himself as long as possible.
HE WON'T remain like that. He will come back and I strongly believe that the way he is being treated in this "delusional" period will directly influence the person he will be when he will get back. Basically he can come out of it with a huge life lesson learned or with a really fucked up brain.
A mental hospital does the latter.
Take him back as soon as possible and be there for him.

Quote:

jonathan- interesting book references, I looked into them a little on amazon. I may be wrong but it seemed to deal with someone who experienced 'spiritual rebirth' but still capable of functioning normally, but forced to maybe makes changed due to changes in thought patterns.

No, in fact, those books deal with a much more huge variety of aspects. If I were you and had a friend in that situation, I would read those books and get him out of that damn mental institution before they mess with his mind for good!

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisiblepaulie_walnuts1
Stranger

#7225088 - 07/26/07 04:31 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

This post is funny. I once saw this episode of stargate SG-1 where Macgyver got infested with some alien mind warp thingy and became like supersmart and built a machine that let him extend the reach of the stargate. In the end he came out ok because some wonky alien took the stuff out of he's skull via waving a hand over his head or something. I think your friend just needs to wait for the aliens to come back.

Or he could just try to simplify things. What seems like well thought out amazingness is just a douchebag human trying to be complicated. Like, go sit under a tree for a couple days, like, by yourself.....tell him that.

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7225094 - 07/26/07 04:37 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with MushroomTrip,
The environment and people in those places, and often the medication they make you take, while your there and after you leave, can fuck someone up worse. No good for the mind, body or soul.

paulie walnuts,
You watch to much TV man, we all do, but that said I do like you theory about waiting for the aliens to comeback.
:tinfoil:It's about that time again, where are they, late again.:et:

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

:dna::dna:

Edited by UnderNose (07/26/07 04:45 AM)

Invisiblepaulie_walnuts1
Stranger

#7225100 - 07/26/07 04:45 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You're retarded.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: paulie_walnuts1]
    #7225196 - 07/26/07 06:03 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

From the forum rules: <b>Tactless, careless, and otherwise negative behavior will not be tolerated in this forum.</b>

> You're retarded.

... and you are banned.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and I'm worried he wont come back... [Re: Seuss]
    #7225722 - 07/26/07 09:45 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

:lolz0rz:

--------------------

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #7226573 - 07/26/07 12:53 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

some people just shouldnt do pyschoactive drugs
i,ve found alot of people that freak out on them to be insecure and of low intelligence, unless of course u take 4,000 micrograms of lsd then anyone could be in trouble
he,ll probably become more functional eventually

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

OfflineNova

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: 5150]
    #7227049 - 07/26/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I talked to a friend who did a pinky hit of pure crystal and he said it took him about 6 months to get back to normal and he was in a mental hospital for a while. It sucks we don't know what/how much he took, if I knew he had just taken a ridiculous dose of acid I would at least know that the effects of the drug haven't worn off.

To respond to the people saying I did the wrong thing by 'instituting him'. When I caught up with him he was rolling a blunt sitting on the curb at the entrance to an apartment complex. Would it have been better that an asshole cop let him 'ride it out' in a cell?

Besides that, he wasn't eating sleeping or drinking any water. He couldn't communicate with people, and didn't even know what was going on around him. And more and more he was acting agitated and restless with mood swings. For some reason he was able to drive around (and roll a blunt) but in his ramblings he mentioned sometimes to the extent of wanting to jerk the wheel and just fly off the road sometime. He was defiantly beyond the point of being a danger to himself.

On the way to the hospital, at a round about some guy was supposed to yield and rushed up close to our car and braked hard and it freaked him out. He took his seatbelt off and was about to get out of the moving car and go after him. There was a whole ordeal at the hospital with a bunch of nurses and cops to hold him and he didn't even know what was going on. He just kept talking on and on just like he did around us or even when no one was around he still kept talking.

I understand what everyone is saying about the spiritual aspect of what he's experiencing but I don't understand how you can honestly think he didn't need medical help.

By the way, just as an update... apparently his condition hasn't changed.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#7227241 - 07/26/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Leave aside the spiritual aspect.
What happens to your friend, in the state he is right now, affects everything.
You might thing he's unaware but chances are that he is. And this means that his mind records everything that's happening around him. Now you yourself said:

Quote:

On the way to the hospital, at a round about some guy was supposed to yield and rushed up close to our car and braked hard and it freaked him out. He took his seatbelt off and was about to get out of the moving car and go after him. There was a whole ordeal at the hospital with a bunch of nurses and cops to hold him and he didn't even know what was going on. He just kept talking on and on just like he did around us or even when no one was around he still kept talking.

Now if these things freaked him out so bad, how do you think a mental institution and what's happening there affects him? I think it must be hell on earth for him down there.
His mind still has a certain level of awareness (which can also be a lot bigger than one usually has), mixed with that anxiety and paranoia and... can you imagine how terrified he must be? Maybe he's even aware of the fact that he's in a mental institution and that something is SEVERELY wrong with him. Now while this might partially true, in moments like these, he needs all the possible assurances that everything is going to be all right with him and there's NOTHING with him, and that all that he's going through is totally normal and he's on the process of getting better.
He needs love, support and attention. REAL human connection and compassion. He doesn't get those where he is right now.
I can only imagine how scared he must be and I'm not in his situation, it must be the last thing he needs.
Please, reconsider everything and take him back home, spend time with him, talk to him as much as you can, show him that you care about him and try to make everything that stands in power to make him understand that he will be fine and that you won't abandon him. This is imperative for him right now.
We know so little about human consciousness and how it works, but I am certain that he knows what's going on with him, and that even if he might seen so far away and unable to properly respond, his conscious about his surroundings and each gesture, word, emotion means everything to him right now and everything had an immense influence of his evolution.
That being said, I insist that you take him home and e there for him until he comes back. Because he most certainly will. :heart:

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

OfflineCosmicStorm
Stranger

#7227261 - 07/26/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Must be a nightmare coming down...and being restrained by a bunch of strange people. They can't just let him walk out the door, they need to evaluate him, etc.

If he returns to his old self, the doctors will see this...and he'll be out of there in no time.

--------------------
"Observing spirits on the wall, What are they telling you?" -Death

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: CosmicStorm]
    #7227300 - 07/26/07 04:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If he returns to his old self, the doctors will see this...and he'll be out of there in no time.

That's exactly what I was trying to emphasize.
Chances that he will get back to his old self, in that place are so much smaller than if he would be living in his familiar place, amongst friends and people that show him unconditional support and love.
These are the key-elements one must have in the situation he is facing right now.
And even if he will come back to "his old self", he could have so many psychological scars because what his mind, his consciousness took note while he was there.

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Invisiblehankydanky2k

Re: Friend lost his mind on acid and i'm worried he wont come back... [Re: MushroomTrip] * 1
    #7228483 - 07/26/07 10:50 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, previous life drama? Let's not pay attention to things that have been proven completely false (no cause and effect relationship with what happens in reality) by experimental psychology. What happened, in reality, is that the drug LSD-25 caused a reaction between itself and the neurons in your friends central nervous system (brain, and maybe spinal cord) which rendered his CNS incapable of maintaining his physical health for some unknown amount of time into the future. The damage caused to this obviously critical set of organs may be permanent or reversible, and there has not been nearly enough research to indicate any probability of either outcome happening. If your friend was in a state where he was an unmanageable threat to himself and to those around him then there is no choice but to put him into an environment where he could be looked after more closely. Whether the better choice for this be a institution, or a close retired relative is a matter of circumstance, and it sounds like there are no relatives of your friend that would take him in for care (which in itself may very well be one of the large contributing factors to his current mental state, again, NOT previous life hokey-pokey).

Don't worry, you did everything you could to help him short of stopping your own life completely just to look after him 24 hours a day. Mushroomtrip, I do agree that being around friends and relatives is a better environment for recovery in the case of any illness, but when the person requires 24 hours restraint/surveillance to stop them from seriously hurting somebody, which was very obviously the case with this person, and you do not have the time or resources to execute this care then your only option is to take that person wherever they need to be so they can get such care. You could always continue having them live with you, and take the risk of finding them dead one day when you come home from work, or find your house burnt down, or find your pets dead, or find any number of hells broken loose upon the world, all of which could easily happen with a person in a psychotic state.

Please continue to be this person's friend, visit them as often as you can, wherever they end up. You already sound like you have been a great friend for them, and I really appreciate you doing this for them. I have had difficulty with traumatic situations in my life recently which involved deaths/suicide of relatives and major disappointing failures of reaching my goals. Without the help of those who truly cared about my personal self remaining in this world I am sure I would not be the same person after all of it. Just as your friend has changed now, so did I, but with the love of those around me I have recovered almost completely now. The drugs were out of your friends CNS within a couple days at the most, and what he is dealing with now is actual damage to his brain. It is a well known fact that this is the slowest healing part of the human body, but it is possible that he will improve. Keep faith and do what you can, you are an awesome and caring individual who did the best thing you could in this case so far, and don't let any superstitious, anecdote-based critics tell you otherwise.

--------------------
The above post is fictitous, and any coincedence between it and real people, places, or events is unintentional.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder