Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No?
    #7192916 - 07/18/07 02:25 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Found a store that has some beautiful Half Gallon Jars for 50 cents a peice, and they got about 30 of em. (i don't think i'd need all thirty) But anyway I went ahead and picked up a few of them. I was just wondering, Think these will work out for wbs (or rye, i should be switching to rye soon)

Any sort of modifications that may be needed for half gallon? (larger breather hole in the lid perhaps?

How many ccs for inoculation (both LC and Spore) I'd imagine just doubling the Quart amount, but perhaps it wouldnt even take that much or maybe it'd take more.

If i can make 1/2 gallon jars work, its going to make me happy ..... in my pants.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No? [Re: LVL12]
    #7192926 - 07/18/07 02:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

There is no reason a half gallon jar wouldnt work, id make the breathing hole the same size. and you can inoculate with as much as you want, it just depends on how fast you want it to finish growing.

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No? [Re: deformedreality]
    #7193004 - 07/18/07 02:51 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Any idea of a good starting reference for 1/2 gallon... I'm guessing 5 ccs of spore syringe, but i dunno if thats on the high or low side. Speed isn't really an issue for me at this point, im at the point where i have so much crap going on that i never feel impatient, i just want it growing fast enough to give the myc a big head start on the contams.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

InvisibleKingPins
RookieMycologist
Male

Loc: Flint, Mich.
    #7193028 - 07/18/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

That's how I am with my grows, I try not to rush anything and worry more about being sterile than how fast I can produce a flush.

To address your question, half gallon jars will work fine, you're just looking at longer time to colonize, but again, if you're not in a rush, this isn't a problem

don't forget to use tyvek! :smile:

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No? [Re: KingPins]
    #7193040 - 07/18/07 03:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

LOL, I never forget tyvek... However the first time i used tyvek i was so excited (Post office tyvek, and anything free makes me more excited) but anyway i was so excited about tvek that i forgot to put tin foil on the outside of the jars before pressure cooking them. that was a definate buzz kill. But on the plus side, i've never forgotten the tin foil since.

--------------------

InvisibleKingPins
RookieMycologist
Male

Loc: Flint, Mich.
    #7193047 - 07/18/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, Mycology is difficult to proform while stoned or otherwise intoxicated.

I too get my tyvek from the post office, actually need to order some more now.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #7193791 - 07/18/07 05:55 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

They've worked great for me!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No? [Re: hyphae]
    #7193799 - 07/18/07 05:59 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

half gallon jars are the shit only 2 down sides i see is 1.kinda long time to colonize (sometimes).2 if they contam THEY CONTAM! lol and make a bigger yucky mess.other than that they work great.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: Half Gallon Jars - Good idea or No? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7193951 - 07/18/07 06:41 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

xaxphaanes said:
if they contam THEY CONTAM! lol and make a bigger yucky mess.other than that they work great.

Yeah i was totally thinking about that earlier, that could get really gross... Perhaps i'll buy out all thirty of the jars and that way if something gets too gross i can just chuck it.

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7193958 - 07/18/07 06:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

lol as long as your sterile and your syringe is good you shouldnt really get any contams i get 1 out of every 30 or 40 jars or so.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates