Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Oyster mushrooms?
    #6914877 - 05/14/07 03:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I work at a plant nursery and while watering some of our California-based plants I found a nice little patch of what (at first glance) appeared to be oyster mushrooms.

I know everyone hates trying to identify w/o pics but I sadly did not have a camera at work.

They are shaped exactly like any pink oyster I have ever seen except the tops are a light brown and the gills are a light tan.

Any ideas? sorry for the vagueness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Oyster mushrooms? [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #6914914 - 05/14/07 03:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

First question: what color is the spore print? (First step in any ID)
Second: does it have any fuzz, is it too young to have fuz?

Sounds more like a Paxilus.

*Side note: let me take this opportunity for being so vague lately, I'm going off the top of my head b/c I just moved and haven't put my reference on my desk yet :tongue:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Oyster mushrooms? [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #6918587 - 05/15/07 02:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Moeron - I could be wrong, but I think it will turn out to be a Crepidotus, a potentially poisonous group of mushrooms which grow somewhat abundantly in CA, though, they can be distinguished from Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus genus) by their brown spore colour, as opposed to the oyster mushrooms white-cream coloured spores.

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Oyster mushrooms? [Re: CureCat]
    #6919217 - 05/15/07 10:05 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

What do they smell like? Theres an asian jack o'lantern that looks like a oyster but with darker gills and dark brown/red specle on the cap.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Oyster mushrooms? [Re: CureCat]
    #6929992 - 05/17/07 12:15 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Moeron - I could be wrong, but I think it will turn out to be a Crepidotus, a potentially poisonous group of mushrooms which grow somewhat abundantly in CA, though, they can be distinguished from Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus genus) by their brown spore colour, as opposed to the oyster mushrooms white-cream coloured spores.

Another batch came up today and i pressed them on paper, and lo and behold brown spores. Good call.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags