Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Shiitake grow log,
    #6544855 - 02/08/07 05:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

OK I am not sure if I should have posted this in gourmet, but this is regarding cultivating so....

I got a Shiitake grow log as a gift for Christmas from my mom (weird it's almost like she knew something)

Anyhow I've been growing B+, Equators / Cubes on ryes spawned to poo for a long time now, in secrecy of course!

So when I got this gift I was really thrilled, but I was also very surprised I log in a cardboard box shipped in the mail.

The directions said soak the log in water over night, take the log out of water bang it around a bit to relocate the spores then place in a plastic tube with shallow water and wait 5 days. I thought 5 days? I can't even inoculate spawn in 5 days let alone get caps, and what about contams?? Well sure enough after 5 days I see the wood start to split and pins popping through!

Pretty cool, so my question is, if I want to replicate this experiment, A) how can I get the spores from the shrooms b) how do I inoculate another log, and what type of log would I need, I think this one here may be oak, not sure though.

A) Getting the spores, usually I cut the fresh cap place it on wax paper and put a glass over it, spores fall I put it in a syringe with distilled water. Will this method work for Shiitakes?

b) inoculating the log, the log purchased looks basically like a log with holes drilled in then stuff with styro foam. Would i get a log drill holes inject the spores then close it up with foam?? Any ideas how this log that was purchased was prepared before sale?

Thanks for the help
interested to see if I can do this myself from scratch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmericaOnLSD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Shiitake grow log, [Re: nambi]
    #6545019 - 02/08/07 06:18 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The log was almost certainly already colonized with mycelium when you got it. Therefore the fast pinning time. It would be like starting with a PF cake - its almost ready to fruit at that point. Shiitake is one of the slower growing species and generally takes well over a month to colonize.

AOLSD

--------------------
See AmericaOnLSD!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shiitake grow log, [Re: AmericaOnLSD]
    #6545658 - 02/08/07 08:35 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sure the log was colonized, then allowed to dry out so it went dormant waiting for shipment. That makes shiitake spring back to life quickly upon rehydration.

The holes you see are where wood dowels were driven in with a hammer. Grain was colonized, then used to inoculate the wood dowels. They're the same type dowels you put glue on when assembling wood furniture to hold everything together.

You can print the shiitake the same way you print cubes, but I'd use foil or colored paper, since the spores are white. If you use typing paper, you won't be able to see them. Shiitake also grows poorly from spores, so I'd suggest cloning, or purchasing a sterile culture.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Shiitake grow log, [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6547420 - 02/09/07 12:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to try to get the spores from these and make a syringe of them.

I have rye grain I can try to spawn them to, but as for substrate I don't' really have a log or the proper substrate, I guess I will either experiment what I have or pickup something suggested.

I would like to try the log technique, not sure which type of log I would need.

Any ideas? This log can be reused and reused I wonder how long it will last.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shiitake grow log, [Re: nambi]
    #6548272 - 02/09/07 05:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

You want hardwood. For much faster colonization and time to harvest, look into supplimented sawdust/woodchips in autoclavable filter patch bags. Search the posts here, or simply scroll back thirty pages or so and read everything. You'll find all you need to know.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags