Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTylerDurden22
shroomhorn
Male

Loc: out of captivity
1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc.
    #6236058 - 11/01/06 06:31 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,
This is my first ever post after my first ever attempt at growing mushrooms. I ordered the spores from a reputable site. When I first saw it, it was so concentrated, it was dark blue, almost opaque. I mixed 6.5 cups verm, 2.5 cups BRF and heated it in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, meanwhile I boiled 2.5 cups of water, and then mixed them together and spooned it into 12 1/2 pint wide mouthed jars, leaving a 1/2 in to 1/3 in, gap. I also set some verm separately in the oven to heat to top off the jars.

I used 2 slightly different methods I have read online after that.
With 6 jars I put a piece of foil on top and put dry verm in the top. I loosely put the lid on and taped the hole. And these I put tape on after inoculation.

For the other 6 jars I just added it on top without the foil, tightly put the lid on, and taped the holes. And left the holes untaped after inoculation.

I figured doing 2 different methods would better my chances of getting at least some of them to be successful. I bit of trial and error.

I don't have a PC so I boiled them in 2 pots. One pot I could easily put 4 in and put a towel in the bottom so they wouldn't break. The second pot could barely hold 2. They couldn't touch the bottom because they wedge each other in. I filled both pots with water halfway up the jars. And I put a piece of foil on top of all of them by the way. The big one has a tight fitting lid. But the other one's lid couldn't fit flushly because of the jars poked out the top. I timed them 40 min from boiling. I was informed heating the ingredients in the oven first and boiling the water you mixed in would cut down on the sterilization time. I would like to know what you guys think about that.

I let them cool overnight and inoculated the next day. I set up everything as sterile as I could. Including a face mask, gloves, a makeshift hood, germ-x, Lysol sanitizing wipes, and oust air sanitizer I heated the needle with a lighter every 2 jars. Like I said, the syringe is an opaque blue when mixed. In a few jars I accidentally put possibly close to 1cc in one hole. I am using 4 holes btw. It seems like where I put the most fluid is growing the fastest, but has a blue stain on them. Also, all the mycelium growing looks a little webby. But it is my 1st time.

Also, I'm scared I might have over heated and dried them out. After I finished boiling them some of the foil was turned black, So I'm pretty confident they're sterilized, but now I'm scared there might not be enough moisture for full colonization. But all my jars have white growth in them now. I can't tell whether it is rhizmorphic (please excuse spelling) growth or mold. But is 6 days to early to tell. Also does it hurt to look at them ever day? I keep them in the dark.

I hope this whole thing hasn't been too confusing to follow, I've skipped around quie a bit. Please give me whatever helpful feedback, you can offer. Do I have real contamination concerns? Or should I chill the fuck out and be patient?

Thanks for the help,
Beau

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineescobarLBC
Stranger
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: TylerDurden22]
    #6236136 - 11/01/06 06:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Could it be.....

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: TylerDurden22]
    #6236182 - 11/01/06 07:04 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Not to sound like an asshole but a bullet list is way more likely to get replies than a long post.

What is that a pic of? It's not clear.

I'm confused as to why your aluminum foil turned black, and with PF Tek, you put the mixture of verm/water/BRF into a 1/2 pint jar leaving about 0.5-1.0" empty, then fill the jar to the brim with dry vermiculite. Close the jar w/ a lid that has holes in it for inoculation, put foil tightly on top of that and then sterilize the jar. I don't know why you put the mixture in the oven beforehand.

Peaking wouldn't really hurt but the mycelium is shy and won't colonize if you look at it, so just try to leave the jars alone. Everyone peaks when they're starting out, so don't worry too much about it. Light won't affect the mycelium too much during colonization. What temp are you incubating them at? Also, are you allowing for gas exchange? what kind of filter(s) are you using?

Anyway, seeing signs of growth is good. It's not always rhizomorphic at the beginning.

OfflineTylerDurden22
shroomhorn
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Quake3]
    #6236273 - 11/01/06 07:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've been keeping the jars at around 70 degrees or so I don't have anyway to get them warmer. Any ideas about that anyone? That crappy picture was the best one I could get to load. It's just a blue coloration that has been there pretty much every since I inoculated.

Thanks,
Beau

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
    #6236305 - 11/01/06 07:25 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Most people like to incubate at higher temperatures, around 80-82F because it results in a slightly faster colonization rate, but it also increases the risk of bacterial contaminants that thrive in that temperature range. Room temp, 70F is good enough.

The blue came from the syringe or did it develop suddenly after you inoculated? Was the syringe from a Shroomery vendor (I'm assuming that's what you meant by it being a reputable site?)

Is the blue growing or changing in any way? Do the jars smell funny? Are the mycelium spots growing at all? Is the blue in the exact spot you shot the spores or did it develop elsewhere? Are you allowing for gas exchange?

Edit: If your jars' water content is too high, it might make the bottom of the jars look grayish.. maybe that's what you're seeing as blue?

Edited by Quake3 (11/01/06 07:27 PM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Quake3]
    #6236824 - 11/01/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Pf tek = :suicide:  :slitwrist:  :suicide:  :slitwrist: Gah do I have to do this every single day

OfflineShrm420
Stranger
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Blutjager]
    #6236869 - 11/01/06 09:15 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I have no problems with the PFtek. I am wanting to get started on grain though because it looks easier to case. Im not to into hacking up a PFtek cake grains just seem better suited for it. I never tossed my verm/brf in the oven though. Seems kinda pointless. The second you start mixing it up the contaiminants from the air will get mixed in with it. Thats why you PC/ghetto PC them after you mix and prepair the jars. Keep in mind though I only have a handfull of grows under my belt. I havnt had any issues with contamination as of yet.

OfflineTylerDurden22
shroomhorn
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Shrm420]
    #6236987 - 11/01/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The blue came from the syringe or did it develop suddenly after you inoculated? Was the syringe from a Shroomery vendor (I'm assuming that's what you meant by it being a reputable site?)

Yes, the syringe was dark blue, I think one of the 2 jars with the blue color was the 1st one I inoculated. I got the syringe from earthstounge.com. Creeper strain.

Is the blue growing or changing in any way? Do the jars smell funny? Are the mycelium spots growing at all? Is the blue in the exact spot you shot the spores or did it develop elsewhere? Are you allowing for gas exchange?

The mycelium has outgrown the blue, I haven't noticed any smell. I keep all the jars in their original box, inside a black trash bag, in a covered box. The 6 jars with no foil between the vermiculite and the substrate have 4 untaped holes in the lid for air exchange. The 6 jars with the piece of foil between the verm and substrate, have the holes taped but the lid slightly loose for air exchange. Is that enough??? It is 2 jars with the foil that have the blue color. And the color is only where the solution wet it. And no, it it definitely not because it's too wet. That dark spot in the picture is almost black, but not growing, and that Grey color around the bottom of it is blue, and the lighter color is white/grey. Also, the 2 jars with the blue color are my best growing ones so far.

More thanks,
Beau

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Shrm420]
    #6237071 - 11/01/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

My 1st successful grow was rye spawned to poo,Why pf tek is recommended for beginners is beyond me,1st you have impossible to find ingredients than sitting there with the god forsaken coffee grinder till your thumb falls off,fanning,misting,air stones,bubble wands,pumps and tubing and blah blah blah blah.And them when you are lucky enough to get it right the payoff of your success(If you can call it that with a straight face)Is a few measly mushrooms for all your hard work.Why do people keep playing this practical joke on the newbies,Its a terrible thing to do to them,I remember what it was like to be them because it wasn't that long ago that I couldn't grow anything no matter how hard I tried.I don't know if it is just that the people who recommend it don't remember how hard this is when you 1st start and you are struggling but I sure remember and for everyone I help convince not to make themselves go through that nightmare I think that may be one person who may stick with this hobby and have a good harvest and enjoy them self and not say this isn't worth it and give up after being so horribly disappointed by what the get out of all their hard work.The work for payoff ratio for pf tek is like driving 500 miles to work all day for minimum wage,. :rant: in other words ITS NOT WORTH IT

OfflineShrm420
Stranger
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Blutjager]
    #6237118 - 11/01/06 10:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I personally had no problem finding all the ingredients and the BRF was at a local natural food store so no coffee grinder. I just use perlite for my humidification. Fanning is no biggie. Not a huge hassle if you ask me. That being said I want to give rye a go just because I want to start casing instead of growing from cakes.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6237155 - 11/01/06 10:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shrm420 said:
I personally had no problem finding all the ingredients and the BRF was at a local natural food store so no coffee grinder.  I just use perlite for my humidification. Fanning is no biggie.  Not a huge hassle if you ask me.  That being said I want to give rye a go just because I want to start casing instead of growing from cakes.

Here you go http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4577994 My favorite tek on the shroomery,I promise you will never go back to useless cakes,As a matter of fact you can go and put your half pint jars in your car now to throw at peoples windshields when they piss you off in traffic cause I assure you they will be under the thickest layer of dust ever cause you will never touch them again :thumbup:Good luck

Offlinekinrui
連邦捜査
Male User Gallery

Loc: 地獄
    #6237191 - 11/01/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Here you go http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4577994 My favorite tek on the shroomery,I promise you will never go back to useless cakes,As a matter of fact you can go and put your half pint jars in your car now to throw at peoples windshields when they piss you off in traffic cause I assure you they will be under the thickest layer of dust ever cause you will never touch them again :thumbup:Good luck

LMAO!! I love your spirit! To each is own, but you are right!

--------------------
((-Live with passion-))

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

#6237193 - 11/01/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

preach my friend, preach

Offlinelil_demented
Loner will lone
Male User Gallery
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6237312 - 11/01/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

imo the pf tek is easy as pie, works every time, but SWIM ain't go no PC so the pf tek is as far as my cheap ass will go for now.

OfflineTahoe58
adapt.....orperish.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mongolia
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: lil_demented]
    #6249614 - 11/05/06 09:45 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I luv these freakin debates....certainly gets the blood boiling and the ideas and cogs driving in the brain.  There are a hundred ways, and as humans we will always strive to "make it better", genetics, process, parameters, constituents, etc. etc.  For some, certain ways make sense, and for others another way makes sense.  Maybe they don't have the same objectives....or how they interpret those objectives is slightly different.  That said the energy that develops when a sparring match ensues, only helps bring out the thinking power that will make this hobby more interesting for everyone!  Whether you're looking for yeild, potency, beauty, gigantos, or whatever.....you'll find knowledgeable and opinionated debate that will help you on your quest.....stay cool everyone.....this is a chosen path. :pirate:  :gangsta:  :gethigh:

--------------------
Its all about perspective.....spend more time "being, less time "doing"

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

#6337777 - 12/05/06 06:53 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I just read your link blutjager, but I have a few questions about that post. 1st are those jars 1/2 pint because they look bigger. 2nd what kind of rye is used. 3rd do you use limestone or calcium carbonate for your casing. 4th is it seems he skipped the inoculation step, how many cc's of spores do you put in for every 1/2 pint jar?

Sorry for the barrage of questions I am just eager to have the best tech and do things right this time. =)

--------------------
http://palebluedot.ytmnd.com/ watch this shrooming and youll never think the same about the world agian.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: Fingerfoods]
    #6337836 - 12/05/06 07:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fingerfoods said:
I just read your link blutjager, but I have a few questions about that post.  1st are those jars 1/2 pint because they look bigger.  2nd what kind of rye is used.  3rd do you use limestone or calcium carbonate for your casing.  4th is it seems he skipped the inoculation step, how many cc's of spores do you put in for every 1/2 pint jar?

Sorry for the barrage of questions I am just eager to have the best tech and do things right this time.  =)

They are quart jars,fill them a little over half full or rye and let them soak for 24-36 hrs till they start to smell bad,that means they are ready to PC and kill the germinated endospores

You can use any rye that hasn't been treated with fungicides,I get mine at a organic health food store and they order it for me in 50 lb bags but you can find it much cheaper in farm and feed stores if you live in the sticks

I use neither limestone nor calcium carbonate in my casing,I use miracle grow moisture control potting mix,it needs no work at all except for pasteurization

As far as inoculation I use 2 and a half cc's if doing a multispore inoculation or 4 cc'c if using LC,LC is they way to go here and will colonize much faster,Use a glovebox to inoculate in just to be on the safe side  :rockon:

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

#6337860 - 12/05/06 07:14 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

thank you so much for your help I am looking forward to trying this rye method and I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

--------------------
http://palebluedot.ytmnd.com/ watch this shrooming and youll never think the same about the world agian.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6836920 - 04/26/07 01:26 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Blutjager...I don't really agree. While I have done both casings and cakes, a lot of times cases go bad or produce small mushrooms...there are about a 1,000 more variables you add with a casing.

Cakes are MUCH easier, and can produce just about as much if you dunk/roll and put verm around it, etc. :smile:

May I point you here...

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6545856#6545856

...a very recent grow log by the very person (Magash) that wrote the thread on rye that you quote in your sig (direct link). He did the basic BRF PF tek, and as you can see it does not disappoint. :0)

Edited by myndreach (04/26/07 01:40 PM)

Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
Re: 1st time grower, 6 days into inoculation, is this blue color from the syringe or mold? and etc. [Re: myndreach]
    #6874975 - 05/05/07 02:12 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i get the black/ burned looking foil on my foil on my jars sometimes too. when i take them out of the pressure cooker and have no idea why.. but it may be heat or something but either way its never effected my jars at all.

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures