Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Netflix v Blockbuster?
    #5953354 - 08/11/06 09:33 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hello All

Looks like I'll be stranded in a very desolate, boring town for the next 18 months as I complete some more schooling. I must sign up for one of these online movie services. But which one? Does anyone use Netflix? Blockbuster Online? They both claim to be the same. I'm guessing they're not.

Any opinions would be awesome.

:thanx:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: Gijith]
    #5953361 - 08/11/06 09:40 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I use sofa cinema - postal rental is so much easier!

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #5953398 - 08/11/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I've had a netflix subscription for years, no major complaints. Blockbuster might be just as good. Apparently Blockbuster gives you some free rentals from the store in addition to your online rentals, that could come in handy I suppose. Though the reason I started renting online in the first place is that the stores have horribly inadequate selection.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

OfflineFractalated
There's no onehome up there...

#5953410 - 08/11/06 10:17 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I trust Netflix a little more, because Blockbuster has always been a little weird about their late fees program, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they managed to slip some clause in their license saying that they can charge you some fee or another.

--------------------
"Now that the principalities and the powers stockpile weapons of mass destruction, contaminate the earth with their feverish industry, release floods of images to trigger insatiable desires, treat animals and humans as commodities and functions of a market, the devil must be grinning from ear to ear."

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: Fractalated]
    #5953519 - 08/11/06 11:13 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Never had any problems here w/ netflix

Invisible8374837
a fun guy

Loc: the dark side of the moon
Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: Ramlaen]
    #5953527 - 08/11/06 11:17 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i like netflix alot more, seems to have a greater selection.

--------------------
"There are three side effects of acid: enhanced long-term memory, decreased short-term memory, and I forget the third."-the man in the middle

Invisibleshithead
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5953541 - 08/11/06 11:20 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I,ve used both before, blockbuster is cool, cause you,ll get some
free printable coupons, to take to the store.
My last time with Netflix, I started to notice that my disks were
taking forever to get to me, I thought someone was getting them, watching, then forwarding to me. :smirk:
But it turns out the Netflix computer had identified me as a
Heavy User, which cut me down from 6-10 a week to
about 2 a week, I canceled when I found that out.

--------------------
I just have names.
shit has been way busy, names have been flying out the door. No time for special name shit.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: Ramlaen]
    #5953558 - 08/11/06 11:25 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

On average, how many days does it take for Netflix to send you something? And can you manage your queue so that you get them in a certain order (assuming they're available)?

--------------------

InvisibledeadHead321
Stranger

#5953728 - 08/11/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

it takes about 3 days for my Netflix..thats my only beef.

netflix is legit. plus they reccomend movies to you based on the ratings you give movies you have seen. so they know what you like.

--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC

All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: deadHead321]
    #5953756 - 08/11/06 12:45 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I takes one day for me. It depends on how close your location is to their shipping wharehouses. Mine was 30 minutes from my house so it was a day to get there and then a day to get back to me. The new movies are a bitch to get though, its all luck of the draw

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: shithead]
    #5953849 - 08/11/06 01:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Heavy User? I wasn't even aware of that. Does Blockbuster have the same kind of branding policy?

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #5953861 - 08/11/06 01:27 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i have both... haha

theyre the same.. i think blockbuster is alittle faster though

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: Infrared]
    #5953902 - 08/11/06 01:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Never heard of the "heavy user" policy before. Where I live it makes a big difference in turnaround time if I mail from a bluebox vs. my own mail box. I'd be pissed off if I found out that Netflix was sending me movies slower just because I try to beat them at their own game. Even so, it's still a good deal. I use the 4 at time plan. And yes, you can organize your que as to the order you prefer to recieve your movies.

As far as new movies are concerned, add the movie early and you should have no problem getting a new release. You can add the movie as soon as it's released in the theater. As soon as they allow it to be moved up in your que (usually a little before it's retail release date) you move it to number one ASAP. That usually works for me. If you wait until the movie is released retail, then you are SOL.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: shithead]
    #5954235 - 08/11/06 04:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

shithead said:
I,ve used both before, blockbuster is cool, cause you,ll get some
free printable coupons, to take to the store.
My last time with Netflix, I started to notice that my disks were
taking forever to get to me, I thought someone was getting them, watching, then forwarding to me. :smirk:
But it turns out the Netflix computer had identified me as a
Heavy User, which cut me down from 6-10 a week to
about 2 a week, I canceled when I found that out.

People sued netflix because of the heavy user thing and now they don't do it anymore. It takes one day for me to get mine and i get maybe 5 a week. Sucks because up at purdue i bet it will take much longer. I love netflix, i got it a few months ago and its great, much better selection than blockbuster.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Netflix v Blockbuster? [Re: d33p]
    #5954393 - 08/11/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I went ahead and read the policies for both services. And I did some looking online (is there anything wikipedia can't teach me?).

Netflix is apparently open about their screwing of 'heavy users'.

Quote:

In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service

Blockbuster is very adamant that they don't do this 'throttling' but their small print is a little ambiguous.

Quote:

BLOCKBUSTER Online does not throttle... When product is not available to satisfy all subscribers, BLOCKBUSTER Online determines product allocation among members, taking into consideration several factors. Subscribers who have previously not received the full number of DVDs allowed out by their plan, which could happen because the subscriber either had no available movies or no movies at all in his or her queue, or due to technical problems, are given higher priority. We also consider average queue position of the movies the subscriber previously received, with priority being given to those whose rentals have been in a lower position in their queue (for example, a subscriber who recently received his or her fourth or fifth choice may get a higher priority than someone who recently received their first choice). New subscribers may also receive a higher priority until the subscriber has received a sufficient number of rentals to allow us to apply these other product allocation factors. BLOCKBUSTER Online reserves the right to change these allocation metrics at any time, and to consider additional allocation metrics in the future, including, without limitation, a subscriber's historical rental volume, all with or without notice.

Since I'm planning on renting a lot, this will probably be the deciding factor. Then again, most of the movies I plan to watch should be in pretty low demand, so maybe this won't matter at all.

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
    #5954614 - 08/11/06 06:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I use Blockbuster (about four months) and they seem to send movies out as soon as they get them back. I have no idea if they're following my que choices in order, I just figured they were.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Edited by TheFakeSunRa (08/11/06 06:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom