Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ???
    #5764069 - 06/18/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, I think I might have made a mistake by picking Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A to prodice mushrooms, because I do not want to make sclerotia. The thing is, I've already inoculated my jars using the PF Tek. Can anyone tell me if these are going to produce regular mushrooms or will they produce sclerotia? Perhaps both? I've been reading:

http://www.shroomery.org/index.php/par/23365#species

And becuase I just found out about sclerotia I'm a little confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thx.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ??? [Re: 76degrees]
    #5764092 - 06/18/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You should get both. Depends on your growing conditions, etc. Most people who choose the "A" strain harvest before fruitbodies form, so it's really up to you. But you will get sclerotia.

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ??? [Re: Pinhead]
    #5764097 - 06/18/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i thought the sclerotia was just hard myc... doesn't affect fruiting...

you should be able to grow them all the way to maturity

--------------------

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ??? [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5764157 - 06/18/06 12:07 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Sclerotia is used to store moisture for the fungi when conditions are not favorable for it in the wild. The "A" strain was developed to produce more of these Sclerotia. Doesn't mean he won't get fruitbodies, but he would of gotten more with the "B" strain which is what he said he wanted.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764183 - 06/18/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Well that really irks me because, the site I ordered from did not mention that. In fact, they just have a picture of the mushrooms.

http://www.micro-supply.com/mushrooms.htm

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5764187 - 06/18/06 12:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

those aren't mexicana, those are mexican. You have cubensis.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ??? [Re: coda]
    #5764191 - 06/18/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
those aren't mexicana, those are mexican. You have cubensis.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764199 - 06/18/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Meaning what exactly?

Crap, I just read this: "Different grain substrates will work for sclerotia, but PF substrate is not suitable because of its vermiculite content."

I used the PF Tek. So, does that mean I won't be able to grow the sclerotia or does it just mean I won't be able to eat it?

--------------------

Edited by 76degrees (06/18/06 12:34 PM)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#5764205 - 06/18/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

76degrees said:
Meaning what exactly?

No sclerotia. Follow the guidlines for cubensis for your grow and you will get mushrooms. Try and do a little more reading on this site and others. Good luck.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5764216 - 06/18/06 12:35 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

76degrees said:
Meaning what exactly?

Crap, I just read this: "Different grain substrates will work for sclerotia, but PF substrate is not suitable because of its vermiculite content."

I used the PF Tek. So, does that mean I won't be able to grow the sclerotia or does it just mean I won't be able to eat it?

meaning you really need to do some serious reading as all of your posts point to the fact you've done very little. You have a cubesis strain, not a mexicana strain. All those strains listed on that crap ass website are cubensis. They will all follow the same growth paramters for the cubensis teks you find on this website.

it will produce no sclerotia
they will be easy to grow
you will have fruit bodies
your jars are fine

dig?

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764243 - 06/18/06 12:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Pinhead, Are you sure that these spores WILL NOT produce sclerotia? I don't mean to be tedious. I have been reading and I'm confused because you just said I have cubensis, which doesn't mean anything to me. Here is the email I got after inquiring to the place of purchase:

The mexicans are Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A. There are some strains that have names like Pilocybe Semilanciata (aka Bottle Caps) or Psilocybe Subfimetaria (aka Blue Ringers) but the Mexicans are plain P. Cubensis of the Mexicana strain. All of our strains are of the P. Cubensis family.

Then here I read:

The 'A' strain of P. mexicana in particular is known for its exceptional sclerotia forming abilities.

That IS what I have right? What does cubensis have to do with wether or not they produce sclerotia. Sorry, this has me completely upset because the information you just gave me and the information I just read seem to conflict. Also because this is an expected problem (not your fault of course). :crazy:

--------------------

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764252 - 06/18/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

76degrees said:
Meaning what exactly?

meaning you really need to do some serious reading as all of your posts point to the fact you've done very little. You have a cubesis strain, not a mexicana strain. All those strains listed on that crap ass website are cubensis. They will all follow the same growth paramters for the cubensis teks you find on this website.

it will produce no sclerotia
they will be easy to grow
you will have fruit bodies
your jars are fine

dig?

I am pretty damn new to this. And I assure you I have done lots and lots of reading in the past two months. My post reflect a lack of experience, so there is no need to for such back-handed comments. This forum I believe is to share knowledge -not insult correct? On the other hand, I appreciate your input. Thank you.

UPDATE:
After reviewing the information here and the responses, they really do conflict. Does anyone else see this? Am I missing something?

--------------------

Edited by 76degrees (06/18/06 01:16 PM)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#5764309 - 06/18/06 01:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

IFyou have cubensis then no, you will have no sclerotia. The PF tek is fine, everything is ok.

IF you have the Ps.mexicana then you should of used grain (grass seed,rye,etc.)and you will get sclerotia.

The website that you directed us to showed only cubensis. If you were sent something different or were sent the instruction sheet for something different... Who knows. Check with the vendor. Without putting down anyone, let me say that you are better off using the vendors on this site.This is a good example of why. Also, they support this site, without which it probably wouldn't exist.
In short, in order for anyone to help you, we need to know what you were sent. From your last post, I'm guessing your vendor doesn't even know. Probably just out to make a quick buck.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764327 - 06/18/06 01:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I'll take your word for it. You seem very certain and you are giving me the anwer I would like to hear. I apologize for the confusion, but I still don't understand the difference between cubensis and Ps.Mexicana. All I know is that the vendor told me I have:

The mexicans are Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A. There are some strains that have names like Pilocybe Semilanciata (aka Bottle Caps) or Psilocybe Subfimetaria (aka Blue Ringers) but the Mexicans are plain P. Cubensis of the Mexicana strain. All of our strains are of the P. Cubensis family.

From what I've read here: http://www.shroomery.org/index.php/par/23365#whatisit

It would seem to conflict with what you say. But, you obviously know what you are talking about so I'll just leave it at that. I'm also waiting for another response from the vendor to add clarity to the situation. I've been looking all over the place for answers. Trust me, I only ask as a last resort. There does not seem to be a lot of clear information out there on this strain.

--------------------

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5764333 - 06/18/06 01:27 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You have PS cubensis "Mexican" strain. Means PS cubensis from Mexico. NOT PS mexicana. "but the Mexicans are plain P. Cubensis of the Mexicana strain. All of our strains are of the P. Cubensis family." PS cubensis is the species. PS cubensis does not produce sclerotia. You really need to read more. from a book like "the mushroom cultivator." You should know the difference between a species and a strain...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#5764345 - 06/18/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

See, right here:There are some strains that have names like Pilocybe Semilanciata (aka Bottle Caps) or Psilocybe Subfimetaria (aka Blue Ringers) but the Mexicans are plain P. Cubensis of the Mexicana strain. All of our strains are of the P. Cubensis family. That whole line is complete bullshit. Those are NOT different strains.. Your vendor has no idea what he sold you, he doesn't care what he sold you, he has no interest in your hobby. I would GUESSthat you have cubensis since these are cheaper than Ps.mexicana. I wouldn't place money on them being sterile, again because of the above reasons. GO TO THE VENDOR'S FORUM.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5764360 - 06/18/06 01:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You really need to take a quick look at the difference between species and strains. A cat is not the same as a dog (difference of species), but a tabby cat and a black cat are of the same family but different colors (difference of "strains").

Psilocybe is the family of mushrooms, the word after the P. is the species of mushrooms.

--------------------

-JG

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

#5764409 - 06/18/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, all this is starting to make sense. I trusted the vendor out of sheer ignorance. That's my fault. I'm sure you can understand how a noob could be easwily mislead. You have given me enough information to figure out the rest. I'll let you all know how the cakes progress. I took a lot of precautions to ensure sterility. So, if they become comtaminated I will be very suspicious it was the vendor. Well, thank you again for the comments. Peeeeaaaace out.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #5764421 - 06/18/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, let me see if I can sort this all out. First off, this vendor absolutely has no idea what he is talking about and seems to be just cobbling together some names at random. Second, he is using the movielink.com logo as his own (lame).

This vendor is confusing strains with species and even mixing up common names.

Psilocybe cubensis: This is a distinct species. It is the easist to grow and by far the most common Psilocybe mushroom available as spores. The majority of vendors only deal in this species but sell various varieties or strains. Psilocybe cubensis strain Mexican is just a strain of cubensis from Mexico (this is what you have).

Psilocybe mexicana is a completely different species that is more difficult to grow, produces smaller mushrooms but also has the ability to form sclerotia. It is not a variety of cubensis. The spores are harder to come by and are generally more expensive. Disreputable vendors may try to pass off cheaper cubensis spores as mexicana. A strain of Psilocybe mexicana is the Strain A. There is no Mexicana strain of Psilocybe cubensis.

The email also mentions Pilocybe Semilanciata (sic) as a strain of cubensis. This is false. Psilocybe semilanceata is yet another species of hallucingenic mushroom that is extremely difficult to grow and not normally available as spores. The common name is "Liberty Cap" and not "Bottle Cap" which is a common name applied to Psilocybe baeocystis which is yet another species.

Psilocybe subfimetaria is yet another species and is sometimes called a blue ringer which is also the common name of Psilocybe stuntzii. These are not strains of cubensis.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe Mexicana Strain-A - Sclerotia ??? [Re: Workman]
    #5764579 - 06/18/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Lol seriously that whack. I can't believe a vendor can know so little about what he deals in. Sure he might now give a fuck or grow shrooms himself, but he could at least teach himself about what he sells ppl. Haha, youd have to be a real idiot to go confusing species with strains of the same species and then referring to one of the strains (Mexican) as plain P. cubensis of the Mexicana strain!?! I mean wtf. He must have been drunk while writing that cause it just doesn't make any sense.

Also, if he had been referring to the species properly, he shouldn't write P. Semilanceata, rather P. semilanceata. And Not P. Mexicana, but P. mexicana

Edited by iamyour_messiah (06/18/06 02:32 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds