Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLinja
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Help!! Maggots!!
    #5698453 - 06/01/06 04:35 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all. I'm new to this website, but I'm loving it already. I have however got a bit of a problem.

Two days ago I went on a successful hunt, finding nearly 40 mushrooms. I've been letting them dry in a large box, but I have a problem. Yesterday I found a few maggots on the mushrooms...
Today, I found more maggots.

Could anybody offer me advice on how to spot bad mushrooms, which are likely to be full of maggots? I tihnk they've been evacuating their mushrooms as they dry, but I don't wanna eat any of them that have been the homes to maggots. I've thrown away a few of the bad looking ones, but is there anything else recommended?
I've changed my drying technique. Now, they are spread out on newspaper drying.
Does it matter if there are maggots in my shrooms? Does it matter if I eat them along with the mushrooms? How can I identify the bad mushrooms and whether there are maggots in them? These are my key questions.

I was also wondering if I should break up the mushrooms to look for maggot tunnels, and whether this would help them dry faster. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Linja

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLinja
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: Linja]
    #5698497 - 06/01/06 04:58 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I've figured out how to find whether they'd bad mushrooms already. On the cap you can see the maggot tunnels already, like darker lines across the surface. Now that nearly all of my find is full of maggots, I just wanna ask: Is it ok to keep the stalks?

-Linja

Offlinemoshroom
curious
Loc: Ausvicmel s.e
    #5698545 - 06/01/06 05:41 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

id say its ok to keep everything, just dry em out and then grind everything up

--------------------
Magic Mushrooms are just natures way of saying High!

OfflineLinja
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: moshroom]
    #5698551 - 06/01/06 05:49 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

So I can keep the ones with maggots in them? I don't really have a problem with eating them, so long as they're ground up with the rest and I don't have to see them wriggling around. But does it mean that the mushroom is bad? Will it make me sick? I've put all the "infected" mushrooms aside, in case I can keep them. I've brokwn open them all, just to make sure, most were still good (thank god), but heaps were still gross.

-Linja

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5698559 - 06/01/06 06:03 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You might want to focus more on mushrooms that are rotting.. I would guess that they could possibly cause food poisoning. It's never happened to me. I don't think most of the common bugs found on mushrooms pose any kind of serious risk.
Usually there is a nasty smell to a badly rotted mushroom, a discoloration, and sometimes sliminess. They stand out pretty well.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineLinja
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: eris]
    #5698578 - 06/01/06 06:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I've thrown away some of the rotting ones. They were a really dark brown colour, slimy and falling apart. Gross. After reading some of the other threads (so sorry, I'm new to this site, otherwise I wouldn't have posted, nothing came up in the search!) I've decided to let them dry, and hopefully the maggots will find it too hard to eat, evacuate and die of starvation. If not, they'll just be eaten with the rest. Thanks for your help guys.

-Linja

Offlinecriofan
Stranger
    #5698605 - 06/01/06 06:48 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

maggots ay, you sure there not just wood louse(slater) pupa? the rotting mushrooms are you biggest problem try to get them to dry out quicker without increasing the heat there exposed to, ie. increase surface area or put on absorbent paper towel :smile:

OfflineLinja
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: criofan]
    #5698665 - 06/01/06 07:31 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps they're pupa, all I know is that they're tiny, white, grub-like looking things that wriggle and squirm when exposed. Thanks for the advice on drying, I've spread them out now on a newspaper.

-Linja

OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

#5699745 - 06/01/06 01:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

If you're drying them just place them on a piece of paper and let a fan blow at them. This should dry them out in a about 2 days. They won't be completely dry though. To completely dry them put the shrooms in a brown paper bag and place that bag into the sun. But if you are not planning on storing them in a plastic baggy the second step is wont be necessary.  :mushroom2: :thumbup:

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

Edited by Mr_Psilocin (06/01/06 01:51 PM)

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: Mr_Psilocin]
    #5700503 - 06/01/06 05:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I can't belive all these people happy to eat maggots and flies and shit. Just throw them out mate. They're full of maggots because they're rotting. Next time get there sooner, pick them fresh and dry them out properly and quickly using one of the drying teks on the shroomery.

Otherwise you WILL be eating rotting mushrooms and you WILL be eating dried up maggots. If you're happy with this just to trip the I suggest you should be questioning your priorities in life. No offence at all intended, I'm just that amazed and the willingness of some to eat rotten shit and parasites.

My 2c.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (06/01/06 05:11 PM)

Offlinejobot37
Edible hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oregon, Willamette Valley
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #5700528 - 06/01/06 05:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

if I have a small-ish number of mushrooms laying around I tie the stalks with string and suspend them in the air for a couple days to dry 'em, seems to work fine

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #5700558 - 06/01/06 05:21 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The little maggots seem like fruit fly larvae to me, totally safe to eat and most likely good for you. The actual rotting of the mushroom is the only actual danger. Mushrooms infested with maggots tend to rot much faster, so the two factors are connected, but not directly dependent on each other.

At the end of the day it will only affect you if you let it affect you, and considering its potentially nutritious(albeit in negligible amounts) its actually logical to eat them. :laugh:

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: Feelers]
    #5701037 - 06/01/06 07:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

My mom told me not to stick shit like this in my mouth!
I toss em! I lost almost a pound of fresh Cubes to Mag's!
I don't think we were meant to consume things like this :tongue:

They start from the base of the stem and work there way to the cap .. So it would be useless to think you could save the stems..
If you have a tub of Silica Gel you may be able to stop the Mag's but I have tossed allot of Cubes as the Mag's move rather quickly!

Edited by YESSUP (06/01/06 07:35 PM)

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: YESSUP]
    #5701120 - 06/01/06 07:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I generally only take good specimens anyway so its never really been a problem.

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #5701148 - 06/01/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Feelers said:
I generally only take good specimens anyway so its never really been a problem.

I have had the most beautiful specimen's full of worms.. I have also watched them take off from one mushroom to another.. Kinda funny like a little army with a hasty retreat to another fortress..LOL

I'm almost thinking its something about Texas heck I dunno but when I had that huge haul in February the stinking maggots infested me and I was about in tears as I dropped them one by one in the trash..

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Edited by YESSUP (06/01/06 08:02 PM)

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: YESSUP]
    #5701330 - 06/01/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It might be because cubes have such thick stalks - the weedy little Subaeruginosa's that I hunt down here are too small really to support such large numbers of mags.

OfflineZenXi6
Illuminate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
    #5701357 - 06/01/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

LOL! that's a fuckload of maggots! I've only ever found 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 in picked ones that have been picked rather fresh, and are dried nearly instantly! If they sit around for a while, the maggots grow bigger and seem to multiply... then it gets kinda gross.. I can stand eating dead, dried out, mushed up maggots of a small size.. and hey - think of the nutritional benefits!

--------------------
We are the Divine Universe, Incarnate!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: ZenXi6]
    #5702047 - 06/01/06 11:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I feel sick.  :frown:  I found this same problem with many good looking Pans, the stalks are fine, but they come from the gills.  I couldn't believe how many there were!!!  I think maybe the gills had eggs that hatched, because all of these crawly things were NOT there to begin with.

Does, that sound right??  Flies or some other insect laying their eggs on the gills?  for Pans anyway...

--------------------

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: CureCat]
    #5702617 - 06/02/06 01:41 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I think they hatch. I had four seperate little 'collections' of shrooms that were all air-drying (d'oh) and all were fine until after a few days when the maggots sttarted to appear. And from that point there were just more and more.

Offlinemoshroom
curious
Loc: Ausvicmel s.e
Re: Help!! Maggots!! [Re: Bread]
    #5702713 - 06/02/06 02:13 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i have still never seen any bugs on mine. were they rotting as u picked em or have any bugs then, or is this something thats happend days after picking?

--------------------
Magic Mushrooms are just natures way of saying High!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder