Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRazman
Stranger

Autoclaves for storing mushrooms..
    #5387482 - 03/10/06 09:46 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

1) Where do i find autoclave bags?

2) I want to combine fan drying, desiccant AND freezer drying into a preservation procedure. Does desiccant work under freezing temperatures, or should i just stick to one or the other?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMindsEye
AMT Fiend
Male

Loc: cerebral cortex
Re: Autoclaves for storing mushrooms.. [Re: Razman]
    #5387487 - 03/10/06 09:48 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

Well a freezer will freeze any water contained in the shrooms, it would be stuck inside shrooms instead of evaporating and being soaked by desiccant...

--------------------
Easy Poo Cake Tek

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Autoclaves for storing mushrooms.. [Re: Razman]
    #5387489 - 03/10/06 09:49 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

this link is the at the top of every page

http://www.shroomery.org/sponsors.php

mycosupply and spore works should have them mycobag should too. there is no such thing as "frezzer drying" there is a such thing as freze drying.

here is what wiki says about it

Freeze drying (also known as Lyophilization) is a dehydration process typically used to preserve a perishable material or make the material more convenient for transport. Freeze drying works by freezing the material and then reducing the surrounding pressure to allow the frozen water in the material to sublimate directly from the solid phase to gas. Sublimation gradually causes shrinkage of unused ice cubes in frost-free freezers and the disappearance of winter snow without thawing.

The application of high vacuum in freeze drying sublimates ice much more quickly, making it useful as a deliberate drying process. A cold condenser chamber and/or condenser plates provide a surface(s) for the vapour to re-solidify on. These surfaces must be colder than the temperature of the surface of the material being dried, or the vapour will not migrate to the collector. Temperatures for this ice collection are typically below -50 ?C. The greatly reduced water content that results inhibits the action of microorganisms and enzymes that would normally spoil or degrade the substance.

If a freeze-dried substance is sealed to prevent the reabsorption of moisture, the substance may be stored at room temperature without refrigeration, and be protected against spoilage for many years. Freeze drying tends to damage the tissue being dehydrated less than other dehydration methods, which involve higher temperatures. Freeze drying doesn't usually cause shrinkage or toughening of the material being dried, and flavours/smells also remain virtually unchanged.

Also, liquid solutions that are freeze-dried can be rehydrated (reconstituted) much more quickly and easily because it leaves microscopic pores in the resulting powder. The pores are created by the ice crystals that sublimate, leaving gaps or pores in its place. This is especially important when it comes to pharmaceutical uses. Lyophilization also increases the shelf life of drugs for many years.

The process has been popularized in the form of freeze dried ice cream and as an example of astronaut food. It is also popular and convenient for hikers because the reduced weight allows them to carry more food and reconstitute it with available water. Freeze drying is used in the manufacture of instant coffee as well as some pharmaceuticals.

In high altitude environments, the low temperatures and pressures can sometimes produce natural mummies by a process of freeze-drying.

In chemical synthesis, products are often lyophilized to make them more manageable or more easy to dissolve in water for subsequent use.
[edit]

External links

* http://home.howstuffworks.com/freeze-drying.htm/printable
* http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blfrdrfood.htm
* http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/igs/lyophi.html
* http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Biotech-Environ/LYO/index.html

[edit]

See also

* Food preservation
* Supercritical drying

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Autoclaves for storing mushrooms.. *DELETED* [Re: MindsEye]
    #5387494 - 03/10/06 09:50 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

Post deleted by HippieChick

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineRazman
Stranger

Re: Autoclaves for storing mushrooms.. [Re: HippieChick]
    #5387513 - 03/10/06 09:57 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

perhaps "freeze drying" was the wrong term.. Agar mentioned something about storing his in a freezer..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags