Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexburn
V card
Pinning triggers a choice
    #4250985 - 06/03/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you could choose between an all dark enviroment that was 72-76 degrees or an 85 degree enviroment with 10 hours of light a day which would you choose.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Pinning triggers a choice [Re: xburn]
    #4251010 - 06/03/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would go 85 with the light. I like to just hang out in a shirt and shorts.. so that would be much nicer. Also, if your in the dark all the time.. it gets depressing. Like living in Michigan.

As for mushrooms. They would say  :thumbdown: to both. You won't pin without light. And you won't pin .. or at least have sucky flushes in 85 degrees. But if you just want to grow lots of pretty white mycellium.. keep it at 76 and wait a long time.

Why do you ask?

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Pinning triggers a choice [Re: Quiescence]
    #4251384 - 06/03/05 05:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Kind of an interesting question.

As a practical matter I would rather have 72/74 with no light. It is much easier to introduce light to a tub then have to cool down a room.

Even my apartment with summer coming on is $100 + because of running the AC all the time.

Realistically either way you are fucked. At 85 F, if they are large bulk subs, are going to overheat as they produce lots of internal heat themselves. You should be incubating them at 72/74 if it is a good 4 inch thick sub. So if they have no light at 72/74 then you won't have any luck fruiting at all but they will colonize the substrate great.

I have to ask as well: Why do you ask?

Mark

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Pinning triggers a choice [Re: Quiescence]
    #4252894 - 06/03/05 04:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
I would go 85 with the light. I like to just hang out in a shirt and shorts.. so that would be much nicer. Also, if your in the dark all the time.. it gets depressing. Like living in Michigan.

you're the first person to make me laugh all day.

i ask because i am more interested in the mycology aspect of this hobby. And i was curious as to which pinning trigger was more powerful. trying to get peoples opinions

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

#4252910 - 06/03/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would say light is a more powerful pinning trigger without a doubt then the 10 degree drop in temp that is generally needed.

The catch is at 86F, that is even hotter then what you should be incubating a bulk bin at so you may have problems fermenting or cooking the whole thing because of the internal heat the bulk bin will create.

But to further my argument as light being a more important trigger is that even in my TIT incubator at 84F, when the ambient light from the room was reaching the jars (before the TIT was sealed from the light) then the jars would start pinning invitro.

However, I moved jars from the TIT to another area in my house (in absolute pitch dark) where it was about 75F and no pinning occured. The jars just sat fine for a couple weeks until I was ready to use them as spawn.

i.e. the 10 degree drop in temp was not alone enough to cause pinning. But the introduction of light into the incubator was. But this is for jars. It may be different with an actual casing.

Just my thought.

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Pinning triggers a choice [Re: mushroommark]
    #4255058 - 06/04/05 03:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thankyou, i found a flourecnt light to use in my oyster refrigerator. Hopefully will be posting my PF TEK oyster grow log soon

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4255210 - 06/04/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would say in order:

Air exchange (most important)
Light
Temp drop

All are important though of course.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom