Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
Psychedelic Books?
    #3094237 - 09/05/04 06:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I want to put together a small collection of the best books available on psychedelics. Only 2 or 3 to get me started. What would people recommend as the best books or authors? I'm thinking one Terence McKenna would be a good idea. Any suggestions would be great thanks  :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: Zoso_UK]
    #3094258 - 09/05/04 06:34 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Psychedelics Encyclopedia by Peter Stafford
DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman
Ketamine: Dreams and Realites by Karl Jansen
Drugs and the Brain by Solomon Snyder
Tripping: A True Life Anthology of Psychedelic Adventures by various authors
Trips: How Hallucingens Work In Your Brain by Cheryl Pallerin
Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA,the Sixties,And Beyond by Lee and Shlain

Just to name a few....all highly recommended. Look at the library section in Erowid for a lot of good books (several of them available to read online).

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: monoamine]
    #3094281 - 09/05/04 06:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, I'm looking at Plants Of The Gods at the moment. Would the Psychedelic Encyclopedia be a better alternative?

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #3094289 - 09/05/04 06:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3094293 - 09/05/04 07:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think the Psychedelic Encyclopedia is a better alternative, but it's a little old... mmmm...'

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #3094303 - 09/05/04 07:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks, I'm looking at Plants Of The Gods at the moment. Would the Psychedelic Encyclopedia be a better alternative?

Well,they're totally different. Psychedelics Encyclopedia,like its name implies,is a reference pertaining to many aspects of of psychedelics. Plants Of The Gods is more along the lines of spiritual and sociological opinions pertaining to the use of psychedelics.

I do like McKenna's writings,but I'm not really into his whole "hippy,tree hugger,earth mother" religous views. I'm more into the scientific and philosophical aspects instead of the spirtual/relgious,but that's just me.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: monoamine]
    #3094349 - 09/05/04 07:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I do like McKenna's writings,but I'm not really into his whole "hippy,tree hugger,earth mother" religous views. I'm more into the scientific and philosophical aspects instead of the spirtual/relgious,but that's just me.

Yes! Same for me. That's why I was a bit disappointed about TIHKAL. I hoped for something more scientific.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3094490 - 09/05/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If you're interested in cacti then "Sacred Cacti" by K Trout is the complete reference work.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

#3094584 - 09/05/04 10:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't quite decide whether I prefer the philosophical or spiritual investigation of entheogens so I guess I'd better figure that one out before buying books :wink: I'm not rich enough to buy a load of books just because, not would I be so careless if I were :P

What about classic texts like the Doors of Perception? Worth buying?

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

#3094645 - 09/05/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've ordered the Psychedelics Encyclopaedia because I am really more scientific than spiritual even though sometimes I wish I weren't. Should get it later in the week. One down side is that its a shame it hasn't been updated since the 1980s :frown:

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3094766 - 09/05/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

there is always TiKaL and PiKaL

also the golden guide to halucenogenic plants, but good luck finding that as a hard copy

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: gdman]
    #3094804 - 09/05/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

He has a new book now also...

-FF

Offlinerdnp2035
Stranger

#3095016 - 09/05/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I like the food of the gods. There's plenty of scientific stuff in it, but it's more history than chemistry. Over all, if you want to open up you mind to wild ideas, it's great.
Breaking open the head is good too. It's more for the begener, but it will take you in the right dirrection. The tale of a guy inspired by mushrooms and acid to go on a deeper journey that takes him to the tribal use of psychedelics and eventually widely expands his worldview.
Both of these are great in that they encourage spiritual doses of mushrooms and ayahuasca.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3098128 - 09/06/04 07:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

jonathan ott's _pharmacotheon_

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineskullfarmer1979
shamanator
Loc: Bum Fuck, Egypt
    #3098355 - 09/06/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

PSYCHEDELIC SHAMANISM by,JIM DEKORNE this is a great book with cultivation info,extraction teks and very little to do with shamanism.a must have!

--------------------
I TASTE THE WREAKAGE OF CRUMBLING FACES,I KNOW THE PALE THING IN THE DARKEST OF PLACES. -DAX RIGGS-

get the most out of life,listen to ACID BATH!!!!

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: skullfarmer1979]
    #3098373 - 09/06/04 09:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

cheers, i've been looking around for psychedelic shamanism...its a hard bugger to find, at least in the uk :P

Offlineskullfarmer1979
shamanator
Loc: Bum Fuck, Egypt
    #3098884 - 09/06/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i'm sure you can find a place on the net to buy it!  :wink:

--------------------
I TASTE THE WREAKAGE OF CRUMBLING FACES,I KNOW THE PALE THING IN THE DARKEST OF PLACES. -DAX RIGGS-

get the most out of life,listen to ACID BATH!!!!

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: Psychedelic Books? [Re: skullfarmer1979]
    #3098989 - 09/06/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

even amazon don't seem to have it! i'll keep my eye out for it

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #3100408 - 09/06/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Plants of the Gods

by Shultes, Hoffman and Ratsch.

If you're into the plant psychedelics of course. I find it to be the best book on mind altering plants. Some of the bset photos I've seen in a book on this topic.

Highly recommended.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3102602 - 09/07/04 09:50 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Here are a few from my cd-rom, Teonan?catl: A bibliography of Entheogenic mushrooms co-authored by J. Gartz..

Also ERonin Publishers is discontiuing the "Psychedelic Encyclopedia" by Perter stafford. It is being republished as six individual books. The first two, "Psychedelics" and "Magic Mushrooms" are already on the market and udated from the original "Psychedelic Encyclopedia."

The latter book by Stafford has a batik cover from my design made in Bali and also about 20 of my images in the book of shrooms and me.

mj

Here is a list of some books on the shroom related side of the discussion.
Includes the book "One River" by Wade Davis,

Wade Davis is also the author of "The Serpent and the Rainbow," A book he wrote of which a bad movie by WEs Craven was made, a movie Wade Davis disassociated himself from.

One River is the story of Richard Evans Schultes' 13 years in the Columbian Amazonian jungle where he identified more than 20,000 plants new to science including over 80 hallucinogenic plants. chewed coca leaves for 8 years to combat malaria and has a 2,000,000 acre land track in the Amazon named in his honore. He most assuredly was the greatest explorer since Richard Spruce and maybe even greater than Stanley and Livingston.

Here is a list of similar books.

While LaBarre's Peyote Cult is the focal point for all Indians who use it in conjunction with ceremonial setups for new charters of the cult, La Barre and Schultes first ate peyote in 1930s while students at harvard who took a class on botany and the sudy of medical plants was one of the topics in his botany class in pre-med school and that trip to the native American Church peyuote ceremony in Oklahoma int he early 1930s is what eventually led Schultes to Mexico in the mid 1960s where he abnd Blas Pablo Reko collected the first known specimens of the magic m shrooms. IT then led, througuh the US aermy's war office to the Amazon to study rubber for the army's war effort, arrow poisons to be use in heart medications and his following plant discoveries also came about becasue of his Amazon jungle adventure. There is also a good bio of Schulties in a past issue of the New Yorker magazine, a rather lengthy bio ver4y well written.

Kahn, E. J. 1992. (Mag.) Profiles: Jungle Botanist. New Yorker:35-58. June 1.
This biography traces the footsteps of the renown ethnobotanist Dr. Richard Evans Schultes from Harvard to his exploration of the Colombian Amazon and then back to Harvard. An amazing adventure in life. See Davis for a complete biography of Richard Evans Schultes and his adventures in the Amazon.

R. E. also has a cockroach named in his honor and many more books and dozens of articles in the Harvard Botanical Museum Leaflets. and other journals.

However Weston LaBarre also wrote the "The Ghost Dance: The Origins of Religion."

This is one of the best books on the history of the hallucinogens.

I have also posted some of LaBarres papers at http://www.thenook.org in the journals forums section under my forum called Tales of the Shroom.

In the meantime, Here is a great list of Mushroom related literature covering the book field for magic shroom histories, Minus the cultivation books on magic shrooms From Teonanacatl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Fungi co-authored by Jochen Gartz of the University fo Leipzig, Germany..

Allen, J. W. 1997. Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks, Seattle, Washington. 12 color photos.

Allen, J. W. 1998. Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Color Photos.

Allen, J. W. 1997. Mar?a Sabina: Saint Mother of the Mushrooms. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Out of print.

Allen, J. W. 1997. Teonan?catl: Ancient and Shamanic Mushroom Names of Mesoamerica and Other Regions of the World. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Out of Print.

Allen, J. W. 1999. Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand. www.erowid.org/library/books_online/magic_mushrooms_aunz.shtml. Copyright 1999 by John W. Allen and Erowid. (Online Hard Copy at http://www.erowid.org)

Allen, J. W. 2000 [1979-1981]. Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide. Publishers: Frank and Cheeri Rinaldo. Reprinted 2000 by John W. Allen and Erowid. Introduction by Andrew Weil. 80 Colored photographs. (Online hard copy at http://www.erowid.org).

Allen, J. W. 2000. Mushroom Pioneers: R. Gordon Wasson, Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, Timothy Francis Leary and Others. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. Over 90 Photographs. 188 pages CD-ROM).

Allen, J. W. and James Arthur. 2004. In: (Editor, Ralph Metzner's) Teonan?catl: Sacred Mushrooms of Visions. Four Trees Press, Green Earth Foundations, California.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 1997. Magic Mushrooms in Some Third World Countries. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. Psilocybian Mushroom Cultivation: A Brief History Regarding the Contemporary Cultivation, Marketing and Use of Psilocybian Fungi. Psilly Publications and RaverBooks. Seattle, Washington. With 1 photographs. Winter-Spring year 2000-2001. 188 photos. 200 pages. CD-ROM.

Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. Teonanac?tl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Mushrooms. Forward by Jonathan Ott. 300 pages, 2400 references, 1700 annotations, and more than 8600 cross-references. 700 large color photographs with Thumbnails. CD-ROM.

Enos, L. 1973. A Key to the North American Psilocybe Mushroom. Youniverse Press. Lemon Grove California.

Estrada, A. 1976. Maria Sabina: Her Life, Her Chants. An Autobiography. Ross-Erikson. California.

Friedman, S. A. 1987. Celebrating the Wild Mushroom. Dodd, Mead and Co. New York.

Furst, P. T. 1986. Psychedelic Fungi. Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Drugs. Chelsea House Publishing. New York.

Gartz, J. 1997-98. Magic Mushrooms Around the World: A Scientific Journey Across Cultures and Time. The case for Challenging Research and Value Systems. Translated from the German language masterpiece "Narremschwammer" by C. Taake.

Guzm?n, G., Allen, J. W. and J. Gartz. 2000. A Worldwide Geographical Distribution of the Neurotropic Fungi, An Analysis and Discussion. And. Civ. Musei. Di, Rovereto, Italy. (In press).

Hofmann, A. 1980. LSD My Problem Child. McGraw-Hill. New York.

Leary, T. 1968 High Priest. University Press. World. New York.

Leary, T. 1983. Flashbacks: A Personal and Cultural History of an Era. J. P. Tarcher Inc. Los Angeles.

Lincoff, G. and D. H. Mitchell (Eds.). 1980. Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushrooms. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York.

McKenna, T. 1993. Food of the Gods: The Search for The Original Tree of Life. Bantam Books. New York.

Menser, G. 1977 [1991]. Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom Field Guide. And/or Press. Berkeley, California. Re-issued as Magikal Mushroom Handbook. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Ott, J. 1976 [1979]. Hallucinogenic Plants of North America. Wingbow press. Berkeley, California.

Ott, J. 1993. Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic Drugs, Their Plant Sources and History. (see pp273-319. Natural Products Co. Kennewick, Washington.

Ott, J. and J. Bigwood (Eds.). 1978. Teonanacatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America. Madrona Press. Seattle, Washington.

Reidlinger, T. J. (ed.). 1990. The Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wasson. Dioscorides Press. Portland, Oregon. A few dozen chapters on the life and memory of R. Gordon Wasson by those who knew him.

Rumack, B. and E. Saltzman (Eds.). 1978. Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment. CRC Press. West Palm Beach, Florida.

Sanford, J. 1966. In Search of the Magic Mushroom. Clarkson N. Porter. New York.

Schultes, R. E. 1978. Hallucinogenic Plants. A Golden Garden Guide. Golden Press. New York.

Schultes, R. E. and A. Hofmann. Plants of the Gods. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Stafford, P. 1992. Psychedelic Encyclopedia. J. P. Tarcher, Inc. Los Angeles.

Stafford,Peter. 2003. Magic Mushrooms. Ronin Publishing. Berkeley, California.

Stamets, P. 1978. Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Stamets, P. 1996. A Field Guide to Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World. Ten Speed Press. Berkeley, California.

Wasson, R. G. May 13, 1957. Life magazine. Seeking the Magic Mushroom or Mushrooms that ause strange visions.

Wasson, R. G. 1980. The Wondrous Mushroom: Mycolatry in Mesoamerica. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Weil, A. 1972. The Natural Mind: A New Way of Looking at Drugs and the Higher Consciousness. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

Weil, A. 1980. Marriage of the Sun and Moon. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dick Schultes also wrote, The healing Forest, Where the Gods Reign and Vine of the Soul.

He was also the worlds leading expert in orchides.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies