Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Wine Ideas
    #2233902 - 01/10/04 08:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Can anyone offer some unusual fruit juices to try when making homemade wine? Any tips on the general process would also be appreciated.

I've just been reading tonight about homemade teks as simple as a jug with a balloon, juice, water, and yeast. Has anyone tried this, and if so, was it worth the effort?

Also, I see a lot of recipes just calling for "yeast", it should always be "brewer's yeast", right?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Wine Ideas [Re: Organic]
    #2234053 - 01/10/04 11:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Dandelion(the herb that most people consider a garden pest) Wine

1 gallon fresh flower blossoms.
Sections of 2 oranges
sections of 2 lemons
sections of 2 peeled grapefruits
1 cup raisens

Cover all with boiling water and let sit, stiring ocasionally, when lukewarm/cool, add yeast, let sit covered well for 1 week, stirring daily. After the 1 week is over strain 2x through cheesecloth. Then, add aprox.(more or less to taste) 4 pounds sugar to the strained mixture. Put in bottles with screw on tops, and leave the lids cracked so gas can escape. After 2 weeks when the hissing bubbles stop leaving the jar, tighten lids, and keep in a cool dark place for 2 months, so it can finish. The longer you wait to open it, the better the taste. And the taste is elegant, like summer rain, and fruitful mist.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2234055 - 01/10/04 11:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Dandelion(the herb that most people consider a garden pest) Wine

1 gallon fresh flower blossoms.
Sections of 2 oranges
sections of 2 lemons
sections of 2 peeled grapefruits
1 cup raisens

Cover all with boiling water and let sit, stiring ocasionally, when lukewarm/cool, add yeast, let sit covered well for 1 week, stirring daily. After the 1 week is over strain 2x through cheesecloth. Then, add aprox.(more or less to taste) 4 pounds sugar to the strained mixture. Put in bottles with screw on tops, and leave the lids cracked so gas can escape. After 2 weeks when the hissing bubbles stop leaving the jar, tighten lids, and keep in a cool dark place for 2 months, so it can finish. The longer you wait to open it, the better the taste. And the taste is elegant, like summer rain, and fruitful mist.

Anonymous

#2234525 - 01/11/04 08:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, you can make wine with very basic hardware described, but will have much better results if you invest in a hydrometer, an airlock, and the proper yeast. Brewer's yeast is usually used for beer (or ethanol) production...proper wine calls for "wine yeast" specifically, or "champagne yeast"...yeast strains have different outcomes when used. Yeast strains may be bred to perform at different temps. or acidity levels. IMHO, get the right yeast for the desired brew...

Anonymous

Re: Wine Ideas [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2234738 - 01/11/04 12:53 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, very appreciated man!

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2235597 - 01/11/04 09:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

so basicly your supposed to use the right yeast with the right grape type? can you use grocerie store grapes, or do you need higher quality? do you have to use different yeasts and additives with different grapes? If so, perhaps you have a recipie of what works well?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Wine Ideas [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2235689 - 01/11/04 10:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That's really cool. I've been toying with the idea of making some sort of alcohol myself.

I tried making ginger beer when I was a kid, but it turned out like shit. I'm going to try this I think.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleBadEnglish
Chief Of Staff

#2236663 - 01/12/04 08:51 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Im sure its not a great kit or anything,but they have a ine making kit for beginners at Walmart for only$20,includes all tools,ingredients needed.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Wine Ideas [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2237332 - 01/12/04 02:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Just match the type of yeast with the type of brew being produced...beer yeast for beer, wine yeast for wine, champagne yeast for champagne. Grocery store grapes work, but not real well...look for Concord or Niagara grapes for "grapey" wines...other types of grapes for zinfandels, cabernet, etc. require a bit of searching. Try using fruit concentrates, available from most brewing supply places...check out eckraus.com for brewing supplies and info...

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #2238268 - 01/13/04 12:09 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i suppose technically you could make wine of sugar water.

but yeah, the better the grape is for wine, the better your wine will be. Although I had some really yummy wine (in an alcoholic sense) that was made of welches peach grape juice... or so the guy said.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Wine Ideas [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2239279 - 01/13/04 01:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I got the Recipie out of a book of herbs... Ivee drinken dandelion tea before and its bitter(probally why u need 4 pnds sugar).. It might be a pain gathering the 1 gallon blossoms though... Clip them very close getting no stem on the blossom at all, and do it before they start to go to seed. From what I read if u do it right the wine tastes very nice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds