Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts*
    #2191885 - 12/19/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Dear Shroomerites,

I was wondering if anyone knew about extraction of reishi mycelium and/or reishi fruits

I hear the mycelium is more potent, and its easier to extract...

What would be the best (easiest) method to extract with (alcohol?)

What would be the best substrate to grow JUST mycelium on? for extraction and/or dried mycelium.

do you know which stages the mycelium is most potent?

Thanks!

--------------------
I&I

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: Rastafari]
    #2192245 - 12/20/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

What would be the best substrate to grow JUST mycelium on? for extraction and/or dried mycelium.

think liquid media would be the easiest/fastest way to grow only mycelium. But I do not know it this mycelium would still have same amount of alkaloids etc.

OfflineThai_connection
Siam
 User Gallery

Loc: Thailand
Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: ragadinks]
    #4993487 - 11/29/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

dry mycelium can be done either by agar or liquid culture, liquid is faster and easier and less messy but doesn't get the same volume as agar imo. for agar add some woodchips pour it in a bottle for more mass, one can try to rotate the bottle while it cools to get a whole inside surface coated with agar but you will find out that it is not as easy as said as the agar is very fragile and slides..with gravity pulls you most likely end up in a mush of agar. just remember the more mass you have to colonize, will also take more time... it is a race against contams and most of us do not have a lab... so keep it simple.
after the agar is colonized just pull the mycelium off.. like peeling bananas.rinse, dry,

for liquid cultures,this is when magnectic stiring comes in great use. when thick with mycelium..drain into a cheese cloth. rinse if desire, dry and storage.

peace
siam

Invisiblemushrx1
rainy season
 User Gallery
Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: Rastafari]
    #5000914 - 11/30/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Rastafari,
Christopher Hobbs says that extracts are okay, but for homemade you should stick to boiling fruit bodies for tea. I use a coffee grinder to pulverize the sliced conks.

Mycelia are _not as strong in beta 1,3 glucans, as these are found in highest concentration in the cap tissue (mantle) according to some Japanese researchers. (also cited in C. Hobbs). Mycelia are favored for production, since it is faster and therefore cheaper to produce.

As for producing mycelia, though, liquid culture is the best route. Those that produce grain mycelia generally powder the digested grain for capsules.

Reishi extracts can refer to hot water extracts, where the liquid used is evaporated to produce a concentrated powderable substance. Some capsules include this type of extract. Beta 1,3 glucans are water soluble and not subject to vaporization at normal boiling temps (again, according to C. Hobbs.)

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: mushrx1]
    #5058594 - 12/13/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Rastafari ~
"Full Spectrum" extraction is achieved by alcohol immersion for 1 week (stirring/mashing daily) and then placing the squeezed out mushroom pulp in a pot of water and boiling at a moderate boil for 30 minutes.
The water pushes out the remaining alcohol and it's constituents.
Now combine the water and alcohol extracts and reduce over LOW heat to evaporate off most of the alcohol and concentrate the extract.
Voila!~
I still prefer to recommend the whole fruit, but do make extracts here and there.
to make a dose of one ounce three times per day, try using about 1/3 cup ground mushroom for 1 quart h2o.
The same extraction for mycelium would apply, but the above formula geared for whole fruit.
Best Wishes!  :smile:

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleBsdgaou

Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: curenado]
    #26723208 - 06/06/20 01:21 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

curenado said:
Rastafari ~
"Full Spectrum" extraction is achieved by alcohol immersion for 1 week (stirring/mashing daily) and then placing the squeezed out mushroom pulp in a pot of water and boiling at a moderate boil for 30 minutes.
The water pushes out the remaining alcohol and it's constituents.
Now combine the water and alcohol extracts and reduce over LOW heat to evaporate off most of the alcohol and concentrate the extract.
Voila!~
I still prefer to recommend the whole fruit, but do make extracts here and there.
to make a dose of one ounce three times per day, try using about 1/3 cup ground mushroom for 1 quart h2o.
The same extraction for mycelium would apply, but the above formula geared for whole fruit.
Best Wishes!  :smile:

I know it's old thread...
But can you evaporate water too? So you get "extra potency" in small bottle.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: Bsdgaou]
    #26723425 - 06/06/20 05:54 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Bsdgaou said:

Short answer - yes.

Just don't evaporate too much water, or the water solubles will come out of solution. 

If you've let your extraction sit long enough for all the mushroom "dust" to settle out, and removed that, you can tell if something is precipitating out of solution as you will see it on the bottom of the jar.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisibleBsdgaou

Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: Forrester]
    #26723587 - 06/06/20 08:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Quote:

Bsdgaou said:

Short answer - yes.

Just don't evaporate too much water, or the water solubles will come out of solution. 

If you've let your extraction sit long enough for all the mushroom "dust" to settle out, and removed that, you can tell if something is precipitating out of solution as you will see it on the bottom of the jar.

How do you mean "out of solution"? Even if I evaporate all of water (which I won't), it should be some "dust" at the bottom, so ingredients we want in our tinctures. Or?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions about Reishi & Reishi-Mycelium *Extracts* [Re: Bsdgaou]
    #26724069 - 06/06/20 12:35 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Well sure, if you want some or most of your good medicine as a dust (or more likely, tar) in the bottom of your liquid, you can do that.  But then you're not likely to have it evenly distributed into your tincture, and will end up getting either none or all of it it one dose.  Know what I mean?

Because the alcohol in a double extraction will evaporate off first, at some point your alcohol solubles won't have anything to be dissolved in, and will come out of solution.  Ever seen salt water evaporate?  And all the dissolved salt starts turning to powder again?  That's what I mean by out of solution.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale