Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMolokoVelocet
thought criminal

North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found
    #2002826 - 10/12/03 03:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

A while back someone dropped into an IRC channel and wanted us to identify some mushrooms they had found in North Carolina. They turned on their webcam and we took a look. The camera view combined with other descriptive info this guy gave us was enough to identify the shrooms as Psilocybe cubensis.

My climate model for Ps. cubensis suggests it could grow that far north, and it seems that it does.

Here are some screen captures.

Here's my climate model:

Edited by MolokoVelocet (10/12/03 04:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: MolokoVelocet]
    #2002881 - 10/12/03 04:20 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

So you identified those as psilocybe cubensis. From the 4th, 5th and 6th pics they dont look like cubes.  :confused: 

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinetreyute
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Space
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: motaman]
    #2002923 - 10/12/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I dont think they're cubes though one of them shows signs. Wish you had better pics. Did they bruise blue?

OfflineMolokoVelocet
thought criminal

Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: treyute]
    #2002991 - 10/12/03 05:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I agree they seemed rather uniformly small for Ps cubensis. We also told him that it had to have a purple-black spore print to confirm it as cubensis. He described it as having a ring/annulus when we asked and we took his word for it, and he knew what we meant by that.

(Also, webcams have notoriously bad color fidelity. I can show you webcam pics of stuff found months earlier by a different person that we were nearly certain were Galerinas that on later inspection were most likely Panaeolus castaneifolis when the person sent us digital camera photos of it.)

Unless this fellow gets back to us with the spore print description or a trip report (or an obiturary) this ID isn't good enough to publish as a confirmed cubensis find in North Carolina.

I'm not sure what to make of the circled features. The incurved margins of that one cap look like the way a veil breaks way from the stem. That one photo looks like belt or hygrophanous band along the margin of the cap.

Anonymous

#2003201 - 10/12/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Im no pro,but those look like a inactive pan. species,maybe pan.foe.?Maybe one of the mods here can give a better guess.Nice find tho,peaceout and good luck!

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: ]
    #2003481 - 10/12/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

They could be Psylocybe caerulipes. These are native to NC. They resemble cubensis and have the bell shaped cap when growth begins. They also have attached gills. These grow on Birch and Maple trees or in that area.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2003566 - 10/12/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

They look a lot like Psathyerlla velutina in their younger stages of growth.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: Gumby]
    #2004224 - 10/13/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

They are Stropharias. It seems I answered this same post somewhere else.

mj

OfflineCarolina
Stranger
    #26924514 - 09/08/20 11:14 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I am not an expert in species identification, but I can definitely identify the most commonly used psilocybin containing mushrooms in coastal regions of the Carolinas. There is a long history of use here, as I am 44 years old and have reports of my parents using these in the 70's. I have always identified these as  P. Cubensis. The same species grow in Georgia and Florida because I have found them there as well. I do notice that the Carolinas are sometimes left out when there is a mention of P. Cubensis range. I can testify that the are prolific here among the cow pastures in summertime, however the pics you posted are very hard to see. The species/strain that are common here look most like these that I have found by doing a quick search for Cubensis. There is a characteristic golden color that fades out to a bluish purple around the edge. Hope this helps.

Edited by Carolina (09/08/20 11:26 AM)

InvisibleIcyurmt
Strange
 Unread Journal

Loc: 5a
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: Carolina] * 1
    #26924549 - 09/08/20 11:37 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Don’t know if you realize it or not but that thread is 16 years old, I can’t imagine that many of the original contributors to it are even still on here anymore..

--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: North Carolina Psilocybe cubensis found [Re: Carolina] * 1
    #26924892 - 09/08/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Carolina said:
I am not an expert in species identification, but I can definitely identify the most commonly used psilocybin containing mushrooms in coastal regions of the Carolinas. There is a long history of use here, as I am 44 years old and have reports of my parents using these in the 70's. I have always identified these as  P. Cubensis. The same species grow in Georgia and Florida because I have found them there as well. I do notice that the Carolinas are sometimes left out when there is a mention of P. Cubensis range. I can testify that the are prolific here among the cow pastures in summertime, however the pics you posted are very hard to see. The species/strain that are common here look most like these that I have found by doing a quick search for Cubensis. There is a characteristic golden color that fades out to a bluish purple around the edge. Hope this helps.

You can always help change that by documenting your observations in the link below in my signature.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract