Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefade
church arsonist

Loc: asshole of the world
Possibly haploid mycelium?
    #1957077 - 09/27/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've been researching the mycology behind the nature of these fungi for a few years now, and I finally decided that it was time I tried it out for real.  I have an unimportant, but interesting question that I'm simply curious about  :crazy:, but first let me give you the low down.

All of the 8 jars inoculated seem to have germinated just fine, with the exception of 2 jars, in which only 2-3 out of the four inoculation points seem to be growing anything.  I expected this, though, I didn't use very much spore solution for each jar.  (oops, I wasn't paying attention to how much I was using, just squeezed until I saw a trickle of solution, then pulled out).  I think <4ml were spread out across all 8 jars.

Anyways, it's been 6 days since they were inoculated, and I'm noticing some growth around where I stuck the jars.  I see nothing happening anywhere in the jars except for where my needle was.  However, the subtle, thin hazes of fugus that I'm seeing don't exactly look like what I was expecting.  From verbal descriptions and photographs, I've gathered from many that healthy, dikaryotic mycelium of Psilocybe Cubensis is heavy, dense, and vigorous growth, contrary to, say, certain species of Copelandia mycelia, or certain contaminants, which are often described as whispy, light, or "weak" masses.

The stuff I'm seeing hardly resembles the snowy looking pictures of cubensis jars I've seen.  It looks more to me like something I would have imagined a Copelandia mycelium to look like :shocked:.

BUT, this Is my first time growing ANY fungus, and I realize I'm probably just full of my own shit, and the pictures on the net just look "whiter", or something.  I gotta ask, though,

Do two haploid mycelia often "clamp" on a microscopic field, around where the two spores were germinating, visible only when the dikaryotic mycelium grows big enough to see?  Or is it more common for two haploid mycelia to reach each other across the vast expanse of the jar, and THEN join up?  Could I be seeing these genetically incomplete masses (in each jar), or are they probably already of the entire genotype, and are just really young, and thin-like?

I thank you guys  :tongue2:

--------------------
try and find something to look for in life

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Possibly haploid mycelium? [Re: fade]
    #1957135 - 09/27/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

THis was copied from this source here... Click Me.

Haploid basidiospores germinate in a suitable environment and grow into short-lived haploid mycelia.
Undifferentiated hyphae from two haploid mycelia of opposite mating type undergo plasmogamy,
creating a dikaryotic mycelium that grows faster than, and ultimately crowds out, the parent haploid mycelium. The mycelium of the mushroom illustrated here (Cortinarius) forms mycorrhizae with trees. Environmental cues such as rain, temperature changes, and, for mycorrhizal species, seasonal changes in the plant host,
induce the dikaryotic mycelium to form compact masses that develop into mushrooms. Cytoplasm streaming in from the mycelium and from the attached mycorrhizae swells the hyphae of mushrooms, causing them to "pop up" overnight. The dikaryons of basidiomycetes are long-lived, generally producing a new crop of basiocarps (mushrooms, in this case) each year.
Karyogamy occurs in the terminal dikaryotic cells that line the surfaces of the gills (SEM at left).
Each cell swells to form a diploid basidium, which rapidly undergoes meiosis and yields four haploid nuclei.
The basidium then grows four appendages, and one haploid nucleus enters each appendage and develops into a basidiospore.
When mature, the basidiospores are propelled slightly (by electrostatic forces) into the spaces between the gills. After the spores drop below the cap. they are dispersed by the wind.

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: Possibly haploid mycelium? [Re: UrbanistiC]
    #1957944 - 09/27/03 06:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Wait until the jar fully colonizes. If it is haploid when the mycelia meets it will form into diploid.

Offlinefade
church arsonist

Loc: asshole of the world
Re: Possibly haploid mycelium? [Re: THATS iT!]
    #1959281 - 09/28/03 09:23 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Gotcha.

Well, either way it goes, I'll post what I see happen. (not that it's going to help anybody out). I'm paying really close attention to density and growth speed.

--------------------
try and find something to look for in life

InvisibleTheConfluence
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Possibly haploid mycelium? [Re: fade]
    #27650736 - 02/08/22 10:49 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Wow...
So this is why some of my grain spawn attempts fail out. I'm likely spawning out weaker haploid specimens without a mate... 🤔

Thank you.

--------------------
When two people dream the same dream, it ceases to be an illusion.

Philip K. Dick
Lies, Inc. (1984)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag