Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Still air box... flow hood.... glove box?
    #18528503 - 07/08/13 03:37 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I know this just boils down to a personal preference kind of thing, but I have a SAB right now that I am not very fond of, I can't remember who's tek I borrowed the idea from, I think Tmethyl, but its a plastic shelf with a shower curtain wrap.

Although it has and is serving its purpose. I built it so I could start Agar. Now I can't seem to buy enough plates, and I find the slits for arm holes limiting, and I can't help but feel that I am creating a draft with every movement since the arm holes are loose; loose enough to squeeze everything through them.

I also don't like the height of it, horrible since I am 6 foot, I don't have a chair for the room so I have to squat or get on my knees. And I can't see Agar dishes and sectors and stuff very well through the plastic curtain, its like wearing wrong prescription glasses.

Although I have had probably a 75% success rate with my Agar dishes, I'd like to get that higher, had to watch some really aggressive strains go down.

So I feel like researching a Laminar hood; only thing I know is they are a little pricey. I would definitely be making my own, but I really like the way this one looks.

I figure if I'm gonna keep doing this as a hobby, I might as well get my sterile tek honed in.

I like the idea of free movement of the arms rather than being restricted by slits or cuffs or whatever.

I will search, but its just a pain in the ass to find the good stuff.

Anyone have a tek to recommend or any pointers? Is LFH THE way to go? I've seen shit about UV lights but I dont think its necessary if you have a flow of clean air constantly keeping anything else out...?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Still air box... flow hood.... glove box? [Re: MaJiK_420]
    #18528520 - 07/08/13 03:58 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

If you are getting a 75% success rate on agar in a SAB, your sterile technique needs some fine tuning, not the SAB.

A flow hood is not going to fix this.

I get 99-100% success rate in my SAB, with no thought of building a flow hood anytime soon.

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Still air box... flow hood.... glove box? [Re: PussyFart]
    #18530083 - 07/08/13 03:08 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Isn't my sterile work area part of my sterile technique?

I mean, the arm holes are so big(just to allow jars and supplies in) that I usually end up looking through the extra space in the arm hole so I can see my agar dish. I know putting my agar dish close to the only source of air flow is probably the issuse, but the only alternative with my current setup is to try and work half blind.

Before I was thinking about the flow hood idea I was thinking about a better SAB/GB (For my personal Preferences anyway) but I thought if I am going through the effort to build/modify, I might as well go all the way. But maybe I'll just try another SAB, since its a fraction of the cost.

Even if SAB's work fine, MINE isn't working fine for ME, for multiple reasons. Which is why I am getting contams and why I am uncomfortable/can't see when working.

Maybe I'll try one based off your design, It looks, simple/easy enough to use.

I guess I just really like the idea of having free range movement of my arms that a hood offers. I did find a sweet tek for a hood that SOME DAY I will use, http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11120537/fpart/1/vc/1

But until I have 400 bucks a a week on construction time I guess I'll just go try another SAB.

PS I read something last night about lysol leaving a residue and that diluted bleach water is better for disinfecting surfaces in the work area...? What do you use and why? I use lysol on the surface, spray things with alcohol before they go in and I use NeutraAir in and out of the box. Any issues with that?

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #18530140 - 07/08/13 03:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I use 70% alcohol to wipe everything before it goes into my SAB, where I usually have a 10% bleach soaked towel in the bottom, and alcohol soaked walls.

Works for me every time like a charm....even if I am having a clumsy day.

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

#18530156 - 07/08/13 03:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Well I'll try it your way. I like the towel bleach towel idea. Thanks!

Offlinezpores
MycoAngelo~
Male User Gallery

#18530298 - 07/08/13 03:55 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I just got a 24x24x12 hepa for $120 shipped, will get the blower for free from an hvac guy and wood is dirt cheap, So basically a flowhood for 140ish? I'm sick of this box shit so seems like a good deal to me.

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

#18530481 - 07/08/13 04:39 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
If you are getting a 75% success rate on agar in a SAB, your sterile technique needs some fine tuning, not the SAB.

I get 99-100% success rate in my SAB, with no thought of building a flow hood anytime soon.

:like:
Ya, I'm actually amazed I haven't killed more agar plates. 

I've only had a maybe 3 plates contam from cloning. 

My last clones didn't contam at all!

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

InvisibleJuiceh
Dabbing All Day
 User Gallery

#18530664 - 07/08/13 05:21 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

That flow hood build you linked by Boris was basically what I was going to replicate, without the UV chamber and using a much better HEPA filter, until I decided to use a bigass 4x2 ceiling unit flow hood instead. My Flow hood has more than 2x the workspace of that build. Working with a big flow hood is a dream come true if you hate the restrictive environment of a glovebox\SAB.

A SAB\Glovebox still is useful when you have a flow hood though. You need one for agar work when you need to transfer away from contams.

I prep my SAB in front of my running flow hood. I wipe down the inside of the box with alcohol and then lay it on its side so the flow hood blows the filtered air through the box for a few minutes. While this is going on I wipe down everything with alcohol that is to go in the SAB, still in front of the flow hood, yeah there is that much room. Tip the box upright and put everything inside I need for the work and close it up. The whole time the entire box and items to go in the box are inside the flow of filtered air. Then turn the flow hood off and begin working in the SAB after about a minute. Prepping my SAB in front of the flow hood this way and only using it for transfers away from contams has worked beautifully for me. Before that when I used to do G2G transfers in the SAB I used to wipe down the whole thing with ISO and line the bottom with bleach water soaked paper towels, keep ISO soaked towels on top of the jars I hadn't transferred to yet, lysol bomb the inside. My success rate was high with G2G in my SAB, but what a pain in the ass. When I started experimenting with Agar in the SAB I started having contam issues, those are a thing of the past now.

For everything else other than transferring away from contams, working in front of a non restrictive flow hood is a breeze, literally! G2G in a SAB sucks donkey dick, especially if you have a large volume of grain to knock up. In the amount of time it takes to prep a SAB and wait for the air to settle to do a dozen transfers, I've already got at least a dozen transfers done in front of my flow hood and I'm about to finish the next dozen!

You want to get serious about this hobby and minimize that failure rate? You need the right tools, flowhood & SAB.

I've seen teks on other sites of ghetto ass flow hood builds. Where they test exposed petri dishes and say they can expose the dishes for up to 120 seconds without a contam, 180 seconds and the dish is fucked. I left a dish out in front of my running flow hood over night, exposed. It never contaminated! Don't try that with a SAB! LuLz!

--------------------
Trade List

How I make 15 lbs of casing in a 941. How I line 12 shoeboxes with 1 39gal bag. How I Deep Fry Cubes!
RogerRabbit said:You need a bigger pressure cooker for this hobby. RR

Edited by Juiceh (07/08/13 05:34 PM)

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Still air box... flow hood.... glove box? [Re: Juiceh]
    #18531215 - 07/08/13 07:01 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

OP, it looks like your SAB just sucks. Flowhoods are awesome, but you don't need one like you pictured. A regular laminar flowhood (a goddamn box with a filter and a blower. It's really that simple) will do you just fine. Do a little searching around and you'll find that spending $1,000 plus on a pre-made laminar flow workstation isn't worth it when you could build a bigger laminar flowhood for half the price.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Still air box... flow hood.... glove box? [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #18531805 - 07/08/13 09:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zpores said:
I just got a 24x24x12 hepa for $120 shipped, will get the blower for free from an hvac guy and wood is dirt cheap, So basically a flowhood for 140ish? I'm sick of this box shit so seems like a good deal to me.

Yeah I don't mind dropping a hundred bucks at a time for something to improve my room if it improves my efficiency/success/preferences. I just know to take it slow cuz my plans change tracks frequently based on whatever I am reading at the time.

Quote:

Juiceh said:
For everything else other than transferring away from contams, working in front of a non restrictive flow hood is a breeze, literally! G2G in a SAB sucks donkey dick, especially if you have a large volume of grain to knock up. In the amount of time it takes to prep a SAB and wait for the air to settle to do a dozen transfers, I've already got at least a dozen transfers done in front of my flow hood and I'm about to finish the next dozen!

That is my thinking. I mean, it just seems like doing your math on paper versus using a calculator. Yeah, you need to learn how to do the problems on paper, to fully understand how the math works. but when you get to the point where its just extra work and time consuming, you might as well use a calculator so you can just move through things a little faster... improving overall efficiency?

Not to dog the people that have perfected their SAB techs, if it works for you, and you like it, no need to change anything. Just like I have no problems with the bucket tek, despite its notorious reputation. I just think a Flow hood would be more enjoyable to work under.
Plus I like to build shit.

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
OP, it looks like your SAB just sucks. Flowhoods are awesome, but you don't need one like you pictured. A regular laminar flowhood (a goddamn box with a filter and a blower. It's really that simple) will do you just fine. Do a little searching around and you'll find that spending $1,000 plus on a pre-made laminar flow workstation isn't worth it when you could build a bigger laminar flowhood for half the price.

Yeah I don't plan on buying a premade, I would just like to use that picture as a reference, I like the way it is setup.

I think my plan of action is to build a better SAB like Notahacker420 and TheApprentice in the mean time while I slowly save up and build the hood. I'll turn  my current SAB ito an extra colonization shelf since I am running out of room in my closet shelving; going inoculation crazy.

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#18532009 - 07/08/13 10:06 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like you feel kinda like I do on the subject. I didn't use my SAB very long before I decided I'd either build a sterile airflow cabinet or quit. Seriously, I couldn't stand it.

I don't worry nearly so much about opening contaminated plates in the flow. Spores are already everywhere, and my environment was extremely spore-infested before I even started. The very point of the true HEPA is to scrub the air in the environment clean, and it does such a good job that no spores make it back through. What's it matter if you have a few more spores in of the environment if the air in your sterile workspace is always guaranteed to come sterile? That's my outlook at least.

Maybe you thought that paragraph was silly, and that I indeed should be concerned with blowing spores off contaminated plates. Fortunately it's actually a moot point, as having my sterile airflow cab has allowed me practically 100% sterile success. The only time I've seen a contaminant in months on end, even on agar, was starting from someone else's spore prints. Thus I'm never blowing spores into the environment regardless.

To drive the point home - RR advises putting contam'd agar on top of the HEPA cabinet when making a transfer from contaminants, briefly opening the plate only to quickly take a piece and drop it to a new dish. Since it's (hopefully) been scrubbing the air for a while, you have very good chances of not bringing a contaminant into the flow along with your transfer and the dish isn't in the blowing air.

Pretty much my only thing about sterile airflow is putting spores onto agar. Never had trouble doing so with Cubie prints since they often have large flakes and so many, but with exotics it may be a different matter. Though it usually worked out for me, the few times that nothing seemed to land on the dish were frustrating enough to consider other options just for that. For such I'd probably be content with a 'ghetto'-SAB only for occasional use.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Still air box... flow hood.... glove box? [Re: Violet]
    #18532200 - 07/08/13 10:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Search keyword: schmuvbox. I use it for everything with a 99%+ success rate.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom