Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTsukasa
sky high

Is this a scam?
    #18501338 - 07/02/13 08:54 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

So my friend was using a fake email signing up to get one of those free ipads. He put down fake every thing but his address figuring its a scam but now hes kind of tripping and I'm telling him not to. Heres what went down.

Using a fake email he signed up for the free ipad thing. He was in the sketchy part of the internet with shitty designed websites and all the crappy gambling.

He started receiving packages in the mail under his alias. This company said they were a kind of credit company. They had no information other than the fake email and his address. They were sending bogus items like candles and nail files and a exercise video for old people that couldn't get up.

After they sent a couple packages and him returning them he started keeping them to give away to people.

The company is now threatening to report him to a claims and collection agency and says he owes them 127.00 $ USD.

I told him first off that they were a scam because there's no one in there right mind that would send people items they didn't pick out and expect them to pay for it with out getting credit card info or some thing first.

He sent a collection letter back to them saying his alias no longer lives here. He's worried they will report him for mail fraud.

I feel like this is a big scam. Scammers go to insane lengths to make you do things. I've received checks for 50,000 USD or more from "State Farm" but they wanted me to go to the store and buy stuff and use the great western union. I have a friend that has received car keys with instructions on picking it up and dropping it off with a check inside. So I know how scammers try and persuade you with money or trip you up and punk you out of money. I just want to get you guys opinion on this situation.

This is a pretty legit scam though. This guy did a great job of acting real. Most people send the big ass checks to make people wanna do it and stuff.

If I learned one thing. It's never be the mule for any body.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadSeasonStudent
Enjoying Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: Swinging on the spiral
Re: Is this a scam? [Re: Tsukasa]
    #18501392 - 07/02/13 09:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

why would you even want to be a part of any of that shit?
Honestly...What a waste of time to get yourself in.

If it sounds to good to be true, than it probably is.
I don't deal with any of that bullshit online scams, get rich schemes.

OfflineTsukasa
sky high

Re: Is this a scam? [Re: MadSeasonStudent]
    #18501404 - 07/02/13 09:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not dealing with it. This is my friend. I through all that shit in the trash. I'm looking for reasonable answers from you guys to help get him to chill the fuck out.

Hes sitting in his room doing nothing but sitting in the dark and staring at the wall for the past three days.

--------------------

OfflineMadSeasonStudent
Enjoying Life
Male User Gallery

#18501517 - 07/02/13 09:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know man, in one way just pay the amount and learn a lesson or just say fuck it and see what happens, you didn't use a social security number or credit card did you?, just an alias? then by all means don't worry about it. As long as they didn't do that, then it's all heresay and don't accept anything saying he/she did do that and you are responsbile, which after reading that, it sounds to me that it hasn't happened yet. Don't take responsibility unless they used social security number. Ignore them and move on. Nothing they can do. And to get a payment, you have to go to court through collections, that costs money...
Don't fret, learn your lesson, the next one won't be as stupid as these people,
If you are telling the truth.

OfflinePill Factory
Mean Mr. Mustard

#18501550 - 07/02/13 09:59 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Send them a letter by certified mail stating that you did not order this stuff and tell them to send a return shipping label if they want it back or it will be disposed of in 30 days.

OfflineTsukasa
sky high

#18505167 - 07/03/13 01:07 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MadSeasonStudent said:
I don't know man, in one way just pay the amount and learn a lesson or just say fuck it and see what happens, you didn't use a social security number or credit card did you?, just an alias? then by all means don't worry about it. As long as they didn't do that, then it's all heresay and don't accept anything saying he/she did do that and you are responsbile, which after reading that, it sounds to me that it hasn't happened yet. Don't take responsibility unless they used social security number. Ignore them and move on. Nothing they can do. And to get a payment, you have to go to court through collections, that costs money...
Don't fret, learn your lesson, the next one won't be as stupid as these people,
If you are telling the truth.

They dont have any information. Just the address and the fake email. No social or card numbers at all.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#18510114 - 07/04/13 02:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

i think a scam company doesnt have, or wouldnt waste the resources to pursue $120ish dollars

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Invisiblecez
 User Gallery
    #18510417 - 07/04/13 05:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Your friend can deny everything.

Them- "You gave us fraudulent information."

Your friend- "I don't know what you're talking about."

Anybody can make a bogus name/email and send something to an address.
If I was your friend I'd ignore it.  If they pursue, deny,deny deny.
He will be fine.

OfflineTsukasa
sky high

Re: Is this a scam? [Re: ManianFH]
    #18510892 - 07/04/13 09:02 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mick said:
i think a scam company doesnt have, or wouldnt waste the resources to pursue $120ish dollars

There just sending letters after they sent him two candles, nail files, and a piece of shit dvd. All together there like 20 bucks at the dollar store. Theres no way that every thing could be any where near 120 dollars.

That is what he is doing. Denying every thing.

--------------------

OfflineMadSeasonStudent
Enjoying Life
Male User Gallery

#18511055 - 07/04/13 09:48 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The best thing you can do is this, save all those letters and send them back to the address they are coming from. There are cease and dissest lestters out there that you can print off and send along. Might need to be certified to make it legit.

It doesn't matter if it's $20 bucks from the dollar store, that's besides the point.

The point of it is this, someone signed up for it, received it and now is saying I'm not paying for it. That tends to become an issue everywhere, and it's probably one if not the biggest reasons why everybody is in debt.

Be intelligent and smart with what you do. Nothing is free, free items usually costs you double in the long run.

I hope you learned something from all of this.
Be intelligent.

OfflineTsukasa
sky high

#18511302 - 07/04/13 10:58 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MadSeasonStudent said:
The best thing you can do is this, save all those letters and send them back to the address they are coming from. There are cease and dissest lestters out there that you can print off and send along. Might need to be certified to make it legit.

It doesn't matter if it's $20 bucks from the dollar store, that's besides the point.

The point of it is this, someone signed up for it, received it and now is saying I'm not paying for it. That tends to become an issue everywhere, and it's probably one if not the biggest reasons why everybody is in debt.

Be intelligent and smart with what you do. Nothing is free, free items usually costs you double in the long run.

I hope you learned something from all of this.
Be intelligent.

Its not me its a friend.

--------------------

Offlineurbannerd
W.TheMushroomTip
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #18511497 - 07/04/13 11:39 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Well as long as they dont have his social he cant be sent to collections

--------------------
Soaking in the energy of the universe since '91

OfflineMadSeasonStudent
Enjoying Life
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this a scam? [Re: urbannerd]
    #18519289 - 07/06/13 06:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

urbannerd said:
Well as long as they dont have his social he cant be sent to collections

That's right, they can't be, and if they are sent to collections, all you have to do is dispute it to them and then they have to prove it to the consumer. And if they can't prove it to the consumer and they don't report it to the bureau, you can sue them up to $1000.00

I would personally check my credit score in 6 months, just to be on the safe side.

I get the fact that it's not you OP, you can STILL learn something from this.

stay intelligent.

OfflineTsukasa
sky high

#18522222 - 07/06/13 08:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

For sure

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order