Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Taking care of maggots
    #1715407 - 07/14/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Just recently I managed to find some more shrooms and had popped them into the dessicant chamber. Normally I would fan dry first, but I'm still under my parent's roof, so it wasn't wise to do so at the time. Anyways, in the past, maggots haven't been a big problem, there would be one or two, but fan drying seemed to get rid of them.
A few days ago, I checked on my dessicant chamber, and checking the mushrooms, and one was munched quite a bit by maggots. I ended up throwing it out, because they did a good job of eating it. Thought it would be the last of my worries, but the biggest one I picked got nailed by maggots. I checked today, and they were eating away the inside of the upper stem, and practically munched under the centre of the gills entirely.
I've read that popping them into the microwave for 15-20 seconds does a good job of nuking the larvae and maggots. How effective is this, and does it lower potency much? I also read about putting them in the oven with the pilot light on.
Are there any other methods of getting rid of maggots?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: Sheepish]
    #1715635 - 07/14/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yea just let your stoumac acid take care of em :laugh:

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: Dobie]
    #1715644 - 07/14/03 07:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i agree. the dessicant will take care of killing them and any actives they may have ingested will be passed on to you when you ingest them. i say this but i don't think i've ever had a problem with maggots continuing their destruction once placed into the dessicator.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: debianlinux]
    #1715666 - 07/14/03 07:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I really don't want to have to eat the maggots to absorb what the bastards munched away on. They sure can eat a LOT of the mushroom, and before you know it, half the damn mushroom is gone. The rest of the shrooms are pretty much cracker dry, but the bigger one was still partly wet, and it got hit pretty hard by maggots. I noticed that some of the gills had just disappeared and the stem was pulling away from the cap. :frown: 

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1715963 - 07/14/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

meh, it's all in your head. the maggots are 95% water and 5% protein, hey, guess what... so are the shrooms! you are literally recovering your lost product. they will shrink to practically invisible proportions. mushroom body mass is equivalent to spider body mass so, really, it is ALL IN YOUR HEAD. be a man! don't be weak minded! am i getting anywhere? in fact, you have most likely eaten dozens of maggots and other larvae in your past outdoor shroom ingestions. whatever works for you. if you must toss it, do it. you complain about it staying wet too long but had you fan dried it the maggot(s) would have still been there but the damage would not have been as visible and you prolly woulda ate him anyway.

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: debianlinux]
    #1716345 - 07/14/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yea just eat it... don't worry about the maggots which didn't quite die and are currently breeding millions more maggots in your stomach lining... then one night, when you're in bed asleep, you'll awaken to the maggots crawling out of your throat and bodily orrifices :tongue: hehe j/ks

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: jimbu]
    #1716569 - 07/14/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hehe, not too worried about eating them - I'm sure I've ingested a few already. I just hate checking back on my drying shrooms to find that a huge chunk is disappearing. Sucks to have a really nice mushroom ruined by maggots :frown: 

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1716650 - 07/14/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The maggots themselves aren't really an issue. The issue is more what they leave behind. As they tunnel through, they're leaving a trail of shit. While eating maggot shit is a bit distasteful, the real issue with it is that it's full of bacteria, some of which can cause very nasty food poisoning.

I'd avoid any that were getting rank. Most bacteria smell, so if the mushroom is starting to smell like it's rotting you should probably discard it. If it smells the same as a fresh one, then it's probably OK.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1716670 - 07/14/03 10:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I discarded 2 that had quite a number of maggots tunneling through it. It was a shame to throw them out, but I wasn't keen on risking eating potentially rotten shrooms.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #1716834 - 07/14/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i just tossed mine in an oven at 200 F. for 5 minutes and the fuckers were all dead. sdidnt seem to affect potency, but it was a new batch that i hadnt tried before so, maybee it did.
peace
zippoz

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisibleshroomkma
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4395433 - 07/12/05 10:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mine sorta smell now there in the bag.. i dryed them out with a fan tho....
are they ment to smell a bit... its not a awefull smell but its not that nice ither.. and wen pulling the shrooms out.. they dont look ne wrose.. just bits that have blued or wat ever the rest is a nice gold...

Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: shroomkma]
    #4395514 - 07/12/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I always set my shrooms in a very well lt window or a heat lamp. If I have an issue with maggots in the batch I seperate the cap and stem and just let em bake out in the sun/lamp. The mushrooms dry so fast the maggots crawl out, because it's too hard and dry for them to keep tunneling. It will leave you with dried shrooms and a bunch of dead maggots around where the shrooms are. They try to escape but end up frying.

OfflineNuttyB
Stranger
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: vandago]
    #4837144 - 10/22/05 04:36 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeh i like maggots now there great, herr maggy maggy maggy splat.
yeh i make tea from fresh then freeze it, so while im keeping them at like 60 degree in a pan all the maggots float out and become cooked, like solid white instead of transparent, and then they get taken out by the strainer. but then wehn defrosted and ready to dring just dont think about all the stewed maggots lol.
i did accidently eat one when i picked it out of my batch. i dont know why i just did and then thaught what i just ate a maggot, oh yeh and have you seen all the little jumping thingys there like transloacting fullstops.

OfflineVolvoxBox
ExperimentalMouse

Loc: Mozambik
Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: NuttyB]
    #4837255 - 10/22/05 07:15 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Dont make the maggots go out, they are highly potent ehehe.

--------------------
[ www.shkart.com ] - experimental music society - www.insected.com

Offlinekhenmarb
newb

Re: Taking care of maggots [Re: VolvoxBox]
    #26131319 - 08/11/19 05:01 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

so its 100% ok if theres maggots on shrooms and then eat it? waiting for your reply :wink:

--------------------
-shrooms philippines

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom