Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice...
    #15775143 - 02/07/12 05:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So, I have a lot of king oyster spawn that is ready all at once.  I could spend days sterilizing small batches or....Can I spawn it to hardwood sawdust pellets that are pasteurized?  Can I get away with adding five percent bran? I have had lots of success growing on pasteurized paper products and it seems like that isnt much different than the wood pellets.  I have also had sucess growning them on straw, but I have limited grow room space and would prefer to try sawdust blocks.  Any one ever grown king oyster on pasteurized lightly supplimented sawdust;  or am i going to have a contaminated dissapointing mess;  i have read some horror stories, but mostly on very highly supplimented unsterilized sawdust.

Edited by Amanita virosa (02/07/12 06:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleeLShaMukO
Male User Gallery

Loc: far away
Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: Amanita virosa]
    #15775415 - 02/07/12 06:30 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it is tempting but if you want to add bran or any other grain nutrients in any amount you must sterilize your substrate.

--------------------

InvisibleGroboClone
Anthropomorphic Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #15775440 - 02/07/12 06:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

A better option might be to use a high spawn ratio on plain sawdust, say 20%+ spawn.
Then you could get away with just hydrating the pellets with boiling water in a 5 gallon bucket.

Eiter way, with a bran supplementation rate of 0-5% yield will be half that of blocks made with 25%+ bran.

OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: GroboClone]
    #15775633 - 02/07/12 07:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thanks yall... I think I am gonna autoclave the bulk of it supplimented and experiment with pasteurizing a few bags unsupplimented.

I love this place!!!!:heart:

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#15795244 - 02/11/12 10:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Can you just sterilize the bran and add it to wood pellets before pasteurizing with boiling water? I have two blocks of grey oysters going on oak pellets and bran at a 5:1 ratio pellet:bran that was just pasteurized with boiling water that is starting to fruit now. Maybe not the same for kings but just wandering if i could save time and room in the PC by just sterilizing the bran?

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

InvisibleGroboClone
Anthropomorphic Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #15797213 - 02/12/12 11:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It has been done, although it may be better to mix in the bran after the sawdust is pasteurized and spawn in front of a flow hood.
You may get away with it for a while but supplementing unsterilized substrate is considered bad form.

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: GroboClone]
    #15797744 - 02/12/12 01:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ah i see. Just wondering if i could save time and space by just sterilizing the supplement and only pasteurizing the bulk substrate. Im sure if i were large scale this would defiantly lead to contamination issues more often then not.

--------------------

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: chefinainteasy] * 1
    #15798185 - 02/12/12 03:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think you should be thinking about it from a vector point of view.  The contams aren't 'in' the bran.  The issue is that bran is an easily accessible food source for all (mycelium of shrooms and moulds).  So you are creating a perfect growing environment, whatever grows there will flourish.  It might be mushroom, it might be contam, it will probably be both. 

Sterilising just removes most other runners from the colonisation race. 

I was sterilising and still having contams.  Very frustrating.  Looks like it was a human/workflow issue though.

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: King oyster on pasteurized sawdust pellets? advice... [Re: NSF]
    #15798673 - 02/12/12 04:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok that makes sense. I was thinking of the bran as being the carrier of more contamination.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds