Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepoisonivy
Waiting...!
Female User Gallery

Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics
    #15057508 - 09/10/11 10:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I hope this doesn't piss anyone off, but I posted this in the Contamination forum before I realized that forum seems to get about 4 replies a day. Sorry about that :flowers:

I inoculated 8 BRF jars using PF Tek 9 days ago. I saw signs of germination at day 4. One jar has been a fair amount ahead of the others the whole time, but not unreasonably so. Yesterday it was at about 50% while the others are about 30%, some a little less. Everything looked great - white mycelium getting thicker before before getting wider and at day 7 I saw plenty of rhizomorphic strands of growth.

Yesterday, I noticed tiny water droplets on the inside the fastest jar at the site of the mycelium. I should note that this jar had healthy mycelium below each of the four inoculation holes. Then last night, in that same jar, I noticed something different. There is fuzzy gray growth, pushed up against the glass, and overlapping the largest spot of growth and connecting to three holes. (Let's say starting at hole two and connecting to hole four, but the space between hole one and two is regular looking BRF.) I immediately thought cobweb, but I'm hoping for the best. In dim light, it is a distinctly different color than the mycelium and looks different because it's pushed against the glass. In bright white light it is much harder to tell the difference.

Now this morning, the growth has not expanded but it HAS thickened. It still looks strange and you can clearly see the outline of the white mycelium that is covered with this new growth (sharp borders). Could this possibly be just a germination of a different area of spores, and just looks gray because of the water droplets that appeared yesterday? When I first noticed signs of germination, it looked a little bit like this but less gray. The thing that is keeping me confused is that it has thickened instead of spreading.

I know cobweb is rare in jars, but honestly I'm surprised it's even been this long before seeing something unhealthy looking. That should tell you something about my process, so we don't need to go there :wink:
Does anyone know the common source of cobweb? Is it a contam through the verm layer or is it usually something that was on the syringe? If it was on the syringe I'm probably screwed, but I'll stay positive for now!
Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejwalt420
Terpin master
Male User Gallery

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: poisonivy]
    #15057525 - 09/10/11 11:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:suicidebomber:
Your safe loooks good..if it turns black toss...

--------------------

OfflineMOPE
Walking Chemical Reaction

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: jwalt420]
    #15057558 - 09/10/11 11:11 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

looks like cobweb to me

--------------------
Got used to the feeling of falling
But you'll never see me following
Bouncing back and forth between the healing and the hollering
Riding the outer ring of my own private saturn
Thoughts scattered all across the grey matter

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: MOPE]
    #15057705 - 09/10/11 11:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like cobweb or the start of green mold.

Either or, the jar is definitely contaminated.

--------------------

Offlinepoisonivy
Waiting...!
Female User Gallery

#15057712 - 09/10/11 11:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, 50/50 so far...but why do I get the suicide bomber? It still looks more dense than any picture of cobweb I've seen in a jar, but what do I know? Nothing! :lol:

edit: Oh, ok you sound pretty sure. :sad: Well here's hoping my others stay safe.

Edited by poisonivy (09/10/11 11:49 AM)

OfflineValleGrown
A Friend To All
Male

#15057725 - 09/10/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Dude I had this exact process... 4 days bam little puff. Day seven gray.... Wtf?

--------------------
Fuck damnation, man! Fuck redemption! We are God's unwanted children? So be it!
OK. Give me some water!
Listen, you can run water over your hand and make it worse or...
[shouts]
look at me... or you can use vinegar and neutralize the burn.
Narrator: Please let me have it... *Please*!
First you have to give up, first you have to *know*... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: ValleGrown]
    #15057787 - 09/10/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If you notice once healthy mycelium turn grey and dull it is normally a sign of a competing contam (normally bacteria) competing for the nutrients. Mycelium sometimes builds a protective wall around its food source that is much denser then regular mycelium. Thats why sometimes you will read about mycologist isolating out contam resistant sub cultures on agar.

True story

--------------------

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: HybridprX]
    #15057957 - 09/10/11 12:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
If you notice once healthy mycelium turn grey and dull it is normally a sign of a competing contam (normally bacteria) competing for the nutrients. Mycelium sometimes builds a protective wall around its food source that is much denser then regular mycelium. Thats why sometimes you will read about mycologist isolating out contam resistant sub cultures on agar.

True story

fungus is awesome  :laugh:

Offlinepoisonivy
Waiting...!
Female User Gallery

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: jim617]
    #15058029 - 09/10/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

None of my mycelium turned gray but the new gray growth is overlapping it a little bit. But I think you were probably talking to ValleGrown.

I put the jar outside. It's 72F right now. I just want to see what happens...if it looks bad tomorrow I'll PC it and throw it away.

I think I'll innoc 3 more jars in the next couple of days in case all of my jars are contaminated. I only have 3cc left. I wish I had bought more than 1 syringe!! It feels way too sketchy to order spore syringes online and didn't want to have to do it more than once. Oh well...

*I have three extra BRF jars in my fridge that have been covered in tin foil and have not been PCed yet. (It was just extra mix I didn't want to throw away) It's been 10 days since I made them. Can I still PC them? If there's any contamination in it now, maybe it ate too much of the nutrients already, I'm not sure.

OfflineOurSUBMARINEGo
Stranger

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: poisonivy]
    #15058104 - 09/10/11 01:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I can't say what is in that jar, but I must say, it does look rather strange... :goodluck:

Offlinedp77
Stranger
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: OurSUBMARINEGo]
    #15060752 - 09/11/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Looks ok to me  :shrug: think i see some rhizo growth in the second pic

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: dp77]
    #15060778 - 09/11/11 12:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

cobweb

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: SexySmurff]
    #15060789 - 09/11/11 12:20 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I see some rhizo as well, maybe it's okay. Time will tell. If it is contaminated, don't open it just toss it. Don't even open it outside. You don't want to contam your house/grow area, or even get it on your clothes and bring it in.

Good luck.

Offlinetrophycase
Dickface

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #15060817 - 09/11/11 12:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There's definitely rhizo growth goin on, but whatever is an inch to left of it just don't look right...

InvisibleNoxADVANCED
Research & Information Collector
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Straya Cunt Flag
Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: trophycase]
    #15060979 - 09/11/11 01:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You got cobweb mate. i seen enough of what that bastard looks like.

--------------------
Ethno-Garden: My seeds and Herbs
My Contests/Give-aways
Get on it!

WE DID IT :kratom: for kratom

I have my rating privileges back, BITCHES

Offlinepoisonivy
Waiting...!
Female User Gallery

Re: Slow moving, thickening cobweb...or gray mycelium? Pics [Re: NoxADVANCED]
    #15061913 - 09/11/11 10:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ewwww!
Well some of it stayed gray but a lot of it turned black. Nasty. I have had black mold at my house so I am not surprised. It's in the PC now - I'm going to do it for two hours to be safe and then dump it outside. Then soak it in bleach solution, wash with soap and water and put it away for next time. I don't want to throw away the jar! Around here I have to order a case of 12 online if I want any more.

My other 7 jars have made some great progress in the last two days and look healthy! *fingers crossed*

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract