Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms * 2
    #14987275 - 08/27/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms
August 27, 2011 - Huffington Post

Everyone knows the potential destructive power of hurricanes, but few people are aware that storms like Hurricane Irene encourage growth of psychedelic mushrooms.

Yes, it sounds trippy, but one of the strange aftermaths of a hurricane is an increased amount of mushrooms popping up -- especially the psilocybin -- or "magic" kind -- the ones that cause hallucinations.

According to Dr. Casey Simon, an addiction expert based in Orange County, Calif., hurricanes create the perfect climactic conditions for the mushrooms to grow.

"Mushrooms are spores and they multiply in moisture and are spread by wind," he told HuffPost Weird News.

Dr. Suneil Jain, a naturopathic physician in Scottsdale, Ariz., goes even further.

"The moisture, humidity, the wind and the temperature during hurricanes is the perfect climate for mushrooms," he told HuffPost Weird News. "Also, both hurricanes and mushroom growth are associated with new or full moons, so there may be a lunar element as well."

Jain says, generally, psychedelic mushrooms are noted by their bluish-gray stems, but stresses that many mushrooms can be toxic and ones picked in the wild should not be consumed unless they've been examined by an expert.

However, despite the hallucinogenic effects, he says that magic mushrooms are relatively safe.

"These substances have been used for centuries, with just a handful of cases of addiction, or long-term problems," he said. "Generally, they are fairly benign."

Recent studies by Johns Hopkins University suggest psilocybin mushrooms may have medical benefits, and Jain is one of those who believes the findings could have a positive impact on humanity.

"There is evidence that it can help in treating OCD, body dismorphia issues and even marital problems," he said.

Simon says the real danger of the mushrooms isn't the psilocybin.

"Some mushrooms can attract a fungus that makes them more toxic," he said. "It looks like a gray mold on the under side. Just a few differences in temperature can make a difference."

Jain says that's why experienced mushroom experts pick mushrooms when they are as fresh as possible.

"The optimal time to pick is right after the storm before the other elements can affect them," he said.

Still, the news that the whole East Coast of the U.S. could soon be awash in 'shrooms is bound to get every hippie worth his hemp sandals and hacky sack on the hunt for a new high.

Mushrooms are likely to pop up in locations where bark is used for decorative landscaping, like industrial parks and government offices, according to ethnobotanist Clark Heinrich

It's important to emphasize that wild mushrooms -- both mind-altering or not -- should not be consumed willy nilly, but Jain hopes to use the fact that so many potentially medicinal mushrooms will soon be popping up all over the East Coast as a way to raise a discussion about an aspect of the medical-pharmaceutical industry he doesn't like.

"There are a lot of medicinal plants that [have health benefits]," he said. "For instance, the main ingredient in statin drugs comes from red yeast rice. But instead of focusing on the plants that can heal, medical science tries to find the active ingredient, change it slightly and then market that so they can charge a lot."

"Besides that, singling out one ingredient in the plant, like psilocybin, doesn't take into account that everything in the plant, and that they all work together."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: veggie] * 1
    #14987298 - 08/27/11 03:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Still, the news that the whole East Coast of the U.S. could soon be awash in 'shrooms is bound to get every hippie worth his hemp sandals and hacky sack on the hunt for a new high.

where the fuck do they find the people that write this kind of trash? lol

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: 2859558484]
    #14987369 - 08/27/11 03:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The only way Hurricane Irene will cause a bumper crop of magic mushrooms in the northeast USA is if Shroomerites stuck indoors over the weekend will be starting up new monotubs to kill the boredom. Sounds like a plan. :yesnod:

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: 2859558484]
    #14987552 - 08/27/11 04:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wowitch17 said:
Quote:

where the fuck do they find the people that write this kind of trash? lol

lol

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Offlinepotsnob
ALIEN
Male
Loc: Mars Flag
    #14987651 - 08/27/11 04:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

True no cubes in North East but many more aminitas and pan subbs than im used to seeing maybe coincidence?

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: potsnob]
    #14987924 - 08/27/11 05:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

if this hurricane went to the gulf coast I would say yeah bumper crop time, but the NE? no way.

--------------------

Offlinegonzoapprentice92
psychedelic connoisseur
Male

Loc: 126
Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: ShroomDoom] * 1
    #14988164 - 08/27/11 06:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The doctor seems fairly open minded and aware but the writer sounds like a piece of shit.  Not everyone that eats shrooms is a hippie...not that I have a problem with hippies that just struck me the wrong way.

--------------------
I share the belief of many of my contemporaries that the spiritual crisis pervading all spheres of Western industrial society can be remedied only by a change in our world view. We shall have to shift from the materialistic, dualistic belief that people and their environment are separate, toward a new conciousness of an all-encompassing reality, which embraces the experiencing ego, a reality in which people feel their oneness with animate nature and all of creation.- Albert Hoffman

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: gonzoapprentice92]
    #14988407 - 08/27/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Actually I could easily see it spreading Ovoids around and helping with fall flushes. Depending on where the flooding is it could also increase the amount of spots for spring fruiting as well. NY/NJ didn't get the increased spring rain that OH/WV did so their Ovoid season was normal this past spring, may be their turn next year.

OfflineTanager
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: gonzoapprentice92]
    #14988441 - 08/27/11 07:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The hurricane might not cause a bumper crop in the form you people are thinking of. Just use your imagination a little bit and say hurricane irene causes flooding in land as far as the appalachian mountains and therefore causes a bumper crop of woodlovers.. don't be so narrow minded.

OfflineTanager
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: Tanager]
    #14988445 - 08/27/11 07:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That would obviously be months away from now but still caused by the flooding from irene.

Offlineobi
Du Bois
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europa
Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: veggie]
    #14994843 - 08/29/11 03:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:

"Mushrooms are spores and they multiply in moisture and are spread by wind," he told HuffPost Weird News.

Wait, what?

--------------------
To live is to fly

Offlinehyperjump69
Papa Snatchy
Male

Loc: Shakedown Street Flag
Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: obi]
    #14995142 - 08/29/11 06:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I kinda thought the same thing. With the winds riding up the coast it's a good chance alot of our lower neighbors (Georgia, Florida) spores would ride along with it. What tripped me out was the fact it's a Huffington Post write-up.
I just imagine all these dudes in suits sitting around laughing at stupid shit in their cubical while trying to find the plug-in for their lava lamp.
:trippnballs:

--------------------
This link will drive you NUTS-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKYw0XJfzO4&feature=BFa&list=LLimI46qikD80&index=4

Sorry I don't conform to your idea of reality. Now go away before I bitch-slap you.

Offlineobi
Du Bois
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europa
Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: hyperjump69]
    #14995740 - 08/29/11 10:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The statement makes no sense, but then again what's the opinion of an 'addiction expert', when it comes to psilocybin mushrooms and mycology in general, worth?

--------------------
To live is to fly

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Hurricane Irene Could Sprout Bumper Crop Of Magic Mushrooms [Re: obi]
    #14996132 - 08/29/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i shouldve gone shrooming after hurricane ike.  Didnt think about it.  Probably wouldve been fun. Track thru some debri, drive thru some high water, get some mushrooms from the local shroom field.  Get high while everyone cleans up. Great idea  :mushroomgrow:  :shroomer:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag