Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Flag
Bulk Grow 2.0 - 4 Golden Teacher Monotubs * 1
    #14711853 - 07/03/11 04:51 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Grow 2.0

Grow Setup

2  Golden Teacher Syringes (11mL per Syringe)
22 Quart Jars w/ Polyfil Filters (3/4" hole in lids)
4  48 Quart Clear Tubs W/ 32mm Holes
Organic Rye Berries
Botanicare Coco Gro
Vermiculite
Gypsum

How I Made My Jars:

I drilled 3/4" holes in all the jar lids and stuffed loosely with polyfil. Rinsed rye berries several times until clean, and let soak for 24 hours. I then boiled the rye berries for 10 minutes and poured through a colander to cool, then dumped out on garbage bags to cool and evaporate faster. Then I load my jars up with the rye berries, put the lids on, cover with 2 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, and PC for 60 minutes at 15 psi.

I let the jars cool for at least 24 hours before inoculation.

June 6

22 Jars were inoculated with 2 Golden Teacher spore syringes.

June 20

Shook jars up today.

July 1

30 Days after inoculation and I'm spawning to tubs.

I put together 4 monotubs using 5 quarts of Golden Teacher rye berry spawn. Three tubs got 5 jars and one tub got 7 jars, two of which I took 20mL of GLC from. I'm using Damion5050's Elementary Coir Tek for my substrate, but slightly tweaked.

For coir, I went to my hydro store and bought a 5 kilo brick of Botanicare Coco Gro. I broke it all up into 650 gram bags for easy use. The Botanicare Coco Gro is really nice and easy to break up by hand versus the Sunleaves brand coir bricks I used the first time, and doesn't contain any trich. Also, this stuff is super cheap and efficient. I won't use anything else now. I pay $18 for 5 kilos. So that ends up being about $2.37 per 650 grams.

I'll break up 650 grams in a 5 gallon bucket into pretty much powder, then add 2 quarts of vermiculite, mix by hand, then add the water.

I only use distilled water bought by the gallon from a store. I bring 1 gallon of distilled water to a boil and then dump in the half cup of gypsum, which immediately dissolves in the water. I stir this around a bit, and while still at a full boil, I cut the heat and dump into the bucket of coir and vermiculite. I'll let this sit for a bit to expand out and then stir it up. I put the lids on and let them cool for 24 hours before dumping into tubs and adding spawn.

July 3

Checked the tubs today. Only been 2 days, but because I didn't use a casing layer, the tops of each tub are about 95% colonized. Of course I'll be giving them about 7-10 days total to consolidate before flipping the light on and beginning to mist and fan.

July 12

The tubs look great. They're completely colonized and looking extremely healthy. 12/12 light cycle begins today. I'm using two 4' daylight fluorescent bulbs @ 6500K.

All 4 tubs look like this:

July 24

Lost my memory card, so I couldn't take any pictures today. All 4 tubs are packed full of mushrooms. I had to pick a lot of one tub, while the rest will be ready for harvest tomorrow sometime. I picked enough mushrooms to fill 5 racks in a Nesco brand dehydrator.

Every gram produced by these 4 tubs will be accounted for, and at the end of the thread I'll have the total weight from these 4 tubs posted.

July 25

Dry weight from the first partial harvest from 1 tub ended up being 73 grams dried, with more mushrooms left to pick. These have a darker color blue than the previous Golden Teachers that I grew a few months ago.

Today is the first big harvest from these tubs. I thought I would take some pictures before I harvest any more.

July 27

The bulk of the first harvest is dried and in 1 gallon zip lock bags right now. Theres maybe a couple more ounces still in the dehydrators.

Minus whats in the dehydrator, the first flush on these 4 tubs produced 272 grams (9.7 ounces)

Stay tuned for the rest of the flushes!!!

Edited by Ajaxx (07/27/11 04:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
Re: Bulk Grow 2.0 - 4 Golden Teacher Monotubs [Re: Ajaxx]
    #14711883 - 07/03/11 04:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Buying coir at a hydro store can be tricky.  Certain brands of coir especially those used in growing chronic are infected with trich spores

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Bulk Grow 2.0 - 4 Golden Teacher Monotubs [Re: UnnamedGrower]
    #14711892 - 07/03/11 05:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i made sure of it. i know the guys at the store, and they know their stuff. 100% organic with no additives.

hydro coir FTW

grow 1.0 used sunleaves brand coir and i got 0 contamination. this is botanicare, but its the same stuff basically. but cheaper and local. i didnt have to order it online.

Edited by Ajaxx (07/03/11 05:01 PM)

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14711908 - 07/03/11 05:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ajaxx said:
i made sure of it. i know the guys at the store, and they know their stuff. 100% organic with no additives.

hydro coir FTW

grow 1.0 used sunleaves brand coir and i got 0 contamination. this is botanicare, but its the same stuff basically. but cheaper and local. i didnt have to order it online.

Awesome man ive seen alot of grows go down to bad coir

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14711920 - 07/03/11 05:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

One more thing you said "because I didnt use a casing layer"  you dont case a tub until its fully colonized.  Casing is completely unnecassary with cubes spawned to bulk.  IMHO it adds another step which is another chance for contams

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14712025 - 07/03/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well this is my second grow, and my first one went pretty well, so i didnt change much about it. i learned what works and what doesnt, and just did what i know i needed to do.

ill have another little grow on the way that ill start posting about too. ill have 2 ecuadorian tubs, 1 penis envy tub, 1 treasure coast tub, and 2 pf albino tubs. those jars are colonizing now. so nothing will be said further about them until i spawn them, and that will be "grow 2.5" since those and the golden teachers i have in tubs now were supposed to go together, but didnt. and its not a completely separate grow either, so 2.5.

i tried doing a larger bulk grow (130 Jars) but most jars failed for some reason. a few took off. so im at less than half of what i was expecting. but thats cool. im making it work out to my advantage. im taking a bunch of GLC and im in the process of making self sealing lids with synthetic filter discs for air exchange. grow 3.0 is going to be awesome.

a bulk grow using my GLC in some slick self sealing lids that i also personally made... man, i cant wait to see what happens there. GLC is some good shit!

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14712029 - 07/03/11 05:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UnnamedGrower said:
One more thing you said "because I didnt use a casing layer"  you dont case a tub until its fully colonized.  Casing is completely unnecassary with cubes spawned to bulk.  IMHO it adds another step which is another chance for contams

plus it takes more time to get mushrooms...

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

Loc: Firmly planted in reality
    #14790310 - 07/19/11 01:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Bad coir?
:awewtf:
Last I checked proper pasteurization prevents trichoderma of any amount from germinating before your myc has take over.
Besides, if you spawn in open air like all of us do, your sub is covered in trichoderma spores regardless of if it was treated with it or not.
Trichoderma before first flush is due to bad spawn or improper pasteurization.

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Bulk Grow 2.0 - 4 Golden Teacher Monotubs [Re: ISOfantastic]
    #14792628 - 07/19/11 02:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ISOfantastic said:
Bad coir?
:awewtf:
Last I checked proper pasteurization prevents trichoderma of any amount from germinating before your myc has take over.
Besides, if you spawn in open air like all of us do, your sub is covered in trichoderma spores regardless of if it was treated with it or not.
Trichoderma before first flush is due to bad spawn or improper pasteurization.

from what i've heard, trich spores can survive pasteurization temperatures. im not sure if this is true or not, since i've also heard the exact opposite. ive never had trich hit a tub before. ive only had it in spawn jars and its always easy to spot, and in my experience, fairly rare.

im about to check my tubs (and other jars) and take some pictures. there were some nice primordia and pins started a couple days ago, so ill have something somewhat entertaining to check out when i update this log.

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

#14793418 - 07/19/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ajaxx said:
from what i've heard, trich spores can survive pasteurization temperatures.

They all survive pasteurization temperatures, it's not the same as sterilizing.
Microbial growth is slowed so dramtically with proper pasteurization that your live, healthy myc colony can take over before anything else does.
I've never had a single contam before the 3rd flush when I use good spawn and properly pasteurized coir, trich treated or not.
"Bad coir" is misleading.  Like I said, either the pasteurization was incomplete or the grain was bad if it gets hit with trich before the first flush.
:2cents:

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14793449 - 07/19/11 04:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ISOfantastic said:
Quote:

Ajaxx said:
from what i've heard, trich spores can survive pasteurization temperatures.

They all survive pasteurization temperatures, it's not the same as sterilizing.
Microbial growth is slowed so dramtically with proper pasteurization that your live, healthy myc colony can take over before anything else does.
I've never had a single contam before the 3rd flush when I use good spawn and properly pasteurized coir, trich treated or not.
"Bad coir" is misleading.  Like I said, either the pasteurization was incomplete or the grain was bad if it gets hit with trich before the first flush.
:2cents:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14791334/fpart/1/vc/1

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You're arguing that which you don't understand.  Most of the coir people around here buy at hydro stores has trichoderma added.  That is a fact and it says so right on the label.  Period.  Proper pasteurization takes care of it, so it's not an issue.

Also, why the hell would you use distilled water?  That's the worst thing you can do.  Mycelium needs the minerals in water.  Use creek or pond water, but if you can't get that easily, use tap water, but never distilled.
RR

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

#14793504 - 07/19/11 04:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I don't get what you're getting at.
I said exactly what rr said, minus the extra info.
Trichoderma spores are all over your sub after you spawn regardless of whether the coir was treated with it or not.
That's why we pasteurize.

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14793543 - 07/19/11 04:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i quoted you saying that they all, as in the bacteria/mold spores, survive pasteurization, and i quoted something RR just said within the last hour in another thread, contradicting your statement.

so you guys didnt say the same thing.

where are these trich spores coming from that are all over our substrate anyway, like you say?

OfflineISOfantastic
Mad Scientist Wannabe
Male

#14793612 - 07/19/11 05:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ajaxx said:
i quoted you saying that they all, as in the bacteria/mold spores, survive pasteurization, and i quoted something RR just said within the last hour in another thread, contradicting your statement.

so you guys didnt say the same thing.

where are these trich spores coming from that are all over our substrate anyway, like you say?

Rr said pasteurization "takes care of it.".
As in, microbial growth is slowed and your healthy myc takes over. 
This is the basis of pasteurizing before spawning.
Where do trichoderma and mold spores come from?
The air you're breathing 24/7.
It's covered to begin with, no way to avoid it.
I hope rr comes and clarifies this for you, since my post count is so low :shrug:

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14822412 - 07/25/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Update: Ive got a bunch of mushrooms. :smile: look ^^ for pictures.

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14822427 - 07/25/11 01:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You need more FAE for those mushies

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14822434 - 07/25/11 01:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

they look fine to me :shrug:

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14822461 - 07/25/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ajaxx said:
they look fine to me :shrug:

If you say so.

When the stems twist upon themselves like a lot of shrooms are doing in these pics its a sign of inadequete FAE.

OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#14822516 - 07/25/11 02:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

they get fanned off numerous times a day :shrug:

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14822537 - 07/25/11 02:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:shrug: it doesnt look like your holes are 2 inches.  How tight is your poly.  Id loosen it at least

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures