Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineampakine
Stranger

Where to setup a lab
    #14388033 - 05/02/11 11:19 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm in college at the moment so I'm living in my moms house and I setup my lab in the shed but I can't expand it beyond about 2x5 metres so its getting pretty packed and disorganised in there. I live in a small town so there are plenty of farms and fields nearby, I know that farmers don't make a lot of money so I bet any farmer in the area would rent a small patch on one of his fields to me for a reasonable price. All I'd need then is to build a shed to house the lab. I don't think I need planning permission or anything like that to build a small shed. I don't need running water but I definitely need electricity so I'll have to get a generator. Has anyone here done this? Also do you have any other ideas for setting up a lab when you don't have the space at home?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflameclown
totality is amust
 User Gallery

Re: Where to setup a lab *DELETED* [Re: ampakine]
    #14388167 - 05/02/11 11:51 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by flameclown

Reason for deletion: [this post is damn old]

Offlineampakine
Stranger

Re: Where to setup a lab [Re: flameclown]
    #14389226 - 05/02/11 03:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm in college at the moment so I won't be able to afford a place big enough to install a lab.  When I get my degree I'll work as a chemistry and save up enough money but in the meantime I need a place to do chemistry. If you have a better idea than building a shed on a farmers field I'm all ears.

Invisibleflameclown
totality is amust
 User Gallery

Re: Where to setup a lab *DELETED* [Re: ampakine]
    #14389592 - 05/02/11 04:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Offlineampakine
Stranger

#14390609 - 05/02/11 07:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Only meth labs and bomb factories make the news. Regular old chemistry labs aren't interesting enough.

OfflineFlashmob
something something dark side

Re: Where to setup a lab [Re: ampakine]
    #14392747 - 05/03/11 02:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Having more than one beautiful fume hood, epoxy coating on durock. Any lab worth its salt has things like running water. I would go as far to say that without good power, running water, a plumbed in drain. It's not a lab at all, call it a chemistry hole or a unibomber style shack. Pretty science lab it isn't.

Quote:

ampakine said:
When I get my degree I'll work as a chemistry...

Soo.. your gonna work as a beaker ? or your gonna BE a reaction ? (jokes about english NOT as your minor would also have worked)

Joking aside, seriously, start your construction with a bigger shack. I don't need to ask, your chems aren't stored correctly. Buy a couple used fridges, they are temp stable, gasketed against the outside environment and build a basic overhang to protect them from the elements. I keep NaOH and other really heavy duty hydroscopic chems in a deep freeze as it condenses water on the sides as anyone who owns one knows, helps greatly to keep chemicals longer and vital for any long term storage of things like concentrated nitric acid that decomposes and gasses off at room temp.

Years ago I wouldn't have suggested this but I'm different now. How long are you planning on being in schooling for ? If your gonna be there for years still.
I would highly suggest making a proper fume hood, sciencemadness has several great threads I may have contributed to. It doesn't take a lot of money and a good hood can be made in a basement of an occupied house without endangering the occupants. The whole point of a fume hood is of course to remove fumes and built right, contain fires, small explosions and once a skunked cat I wasn't ready to deal with.

Things like running water are so so important. Have an accident once, a runaway that coats you in acid or other horrible substance and having a shower really close by will literally save your life. Unless your making baking soda vinegar volcanos all day in this chemistry shack...

Say your doing the sandmeyer reaction (very temp dependant) by hand and pipette run outta gas,  lights go out. Where do you put down your chemicals? how do you see to get outside and refuel?, further your stir bars were running on that and now not moving, thus temps will rise in the center of the reaction fluid regardless of the bath temp, reaction ruined.
Footnote you WILL have an accident one day, not planning for them and thinking otherwise is what will end you up on the news. Impure chemicals, as one example can't be planned for, sudden hardcore bumping that tears your glassware apart, another

Provided you do it right, it's a far better idea todo your chemistry indoors than a random shack. It doesn't need to be built into the house heavily either, a window can be boarded up to take the airline out circa many peoples grow ops likely. Basements make good locations as the stone floor plus windows above equals easy construction planning.

Making a safe place todo science I can help you with. Repairing the denatured clear parts of your eyes... Not even medical science has figured out yet.

Offlinemicrodotty
Pro darts player!

Loc: England Flag
Re: Where to setup a lab [Re: Flashmob]
    #14394482 - 05/03/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you going to make LSD in this lab??

Invisibleflameclown
totality is amust
 User Gallery

Re: Where to setup a lab *DELETED* [Re: Flashmob]
    #14396417 - 05/03/11 07:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Offlineampakine
Stranger

#14397896 - 05/04/11 01:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Flashmob said:
Having more than one beautiful fume hood, epoxy coating on durock. Any lab worth its salt has things like running water. I would go as far to say that without good power, running water, a plumbed in drain. It's not a lab at all, call it a chemistry hole or a unibomber style shack. Pretty science lab it isn't.

I'm afraid I can only fantasise about things like this at the moment. One day I'll have an underground lab in a remote area of the Amazon jungle in northern Brasil that can only be accessed by plane or an 8 hour boat ride (boats how I'll transport the materials to build the lab and clear the landing strip). From the air you'll only see a small landing strip with a seemingly abandoned shack and on foot you'll only find the shack unless you know exactly where to look to find the manhole into the lab. I plan on marrying a Brazilian so I'll get a citizenship (she'll be pretty happy to get an EU and Canadian citizenship at the same time). As you can see I've put a lot of thought into this lol.

Quote:

Flashmob said:
Years ago I wouldn't have suggested this but I'm different now. How long are you planning on being in schooling for ? If your gonna be there for years still.

2 years before I get my bachelors but I want to get into neuroscience after that so that'll be another 4 years. I'll work for at least a year before that though so that'll be the time to setup a proper lab.

Quote:

Flashmob said:
I would highly suggest making a proper fume hood, sciencemadness has several great threads I may have contributed to.

Thats about the 1 thing I do have. Fire proof gypsum, 1 layer of chemical resistant glass + 1 layer of impact resistant polycarbonate and a decent fan with sparkless motor and more than enough capacity to remove all fumes produced in the hood. In the unfortunate event of a beaker filled with a hot and highly hazardous substance exploding I would strip naked and submerge my head in a bucket of water but I see your point, without running water I probably wouldn't even have that bucket of water ready. I have a pretty acid resistant lab coat which I have tested against conc. H2SO4.

Quote:

Flashmob said:
Footnote you WILL have an accident one day, not planning for them and thinking otherwise is what will end you up on the news. Impure chemicals, as one example can't be planned for, sudden hardcore bumping that tears your glassware apart, another

Oh I know. I've had a few of them already (one that could have easily resulted in permanent disfigurement). We don't have basements in my country but some day I'll get a house and turn the garage into a lab. In the meantime though I don't have a basement, garage or any indoor room to turn into a lab so I have to improvise.

Edited by ampakine (05/04/11 01:11 AM)

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #14397917 - 05/04/11 01:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I'm afraid I can only fantasise about things like this at the moment. One day I'll have an underground lab in a remote area of the Amazon jungle in northern Brasil that can only be accessed by plane or an 8 hour boat ride (boats how I'll transport the materials to build the lab and clear the landing strip).

I'm sorry i couldnt help it, i :ilold: a little at this

Also I could picture a farmer being like," ummmm, sure you can make a crackshack and set up a  meth lab on my property."

Offlineampakine
Stranger

Re: Where to setup a lab [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #14397926 - 05/04/11 01:13 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mush 4 Brains said:
Also I could picture a farmer being like," ummmm, sure you can make a crackshack and set up a  meth lab on my property."

A crackshack lol. Methlabs are an American thing, they're pretty much unheard of in my country. A farmer here wouldn't think much of a chemistry student setting up a lab in an unused patch of land in one of his fields.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #14397933 - 05/04/11 01:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thats cool, more power to you then i guess.  Its good to dream big.

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14401270 - 05/04/11 06:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

flameclown said:
I'm glad someone answered sensibly.

This. Yes....This ^^^

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineFlashmob
something something dark side

Re: Where to setup a lab [Re: fungus_tao]
    #14403672 - 05/05/11 04:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Back to seriousness, If your going to be there for years your going to be doing study in the field of biochemistry which if memory serves is the required prerequisite, here anyway for neuroscience. Your place of higher learning will have facilities that will usually fully accommodate you and with some persuasion, educators that will often let you do extracurricular activities. That said it's never a good idea todo illegal things at your school, tuitions are expensive and non refundable if your kicked out.

Hows about building a new bigger shed against the wall of the house, a larger one than what you have now ?. Built very near a house extension cords and a garden hose can be plumbed into proper fittings inside the shed (you may already have this) . A friend keeps rabbits here in such a shed, the inside has plugs on the wall like a house and he has a plastic laundry sink with the drain just plumed onto the ground outside. The water is one temp but it would make an excellent setup for an outdoor lab.

When your done and moving out, your family gets a new decent shed (pitch it right and maybe have them help pay for it). Seriously a couple hundred dollars in wood and a few bags of cement for the floor would get you a very professional all weather outdoor lab.

Offlineampakine
Stranger

#14404723 - 05/05/11 11:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reply flashmob. I'm studying chemistry but this course does cover some biochemistry and pharmacology so I think getting this degree will be just as good as a biochemistry degree if I want to move onto neurochemistry. Since its a chemistry degree (as opposed to a biochemistry one) maybe I should get into neuropharmacology research. As my name suggests, I'm fascinated with nootropics so I'd like to get into research involving them.

Quote:

Flashmob said:
Hows about building a new bigger shed against the wall of the house, a larger one than what you have now ?. Built very near a house extension cords and a garden hose can be plumbed into proper fittings inside the shed (you may already have this).

This is probably my best option. My mother won't be happy about it but I can probably convince her to let me extend the shed. Like you said, this way I'll have running water and electricity. This shed also houses a tumble dryer and the gas powered central heating unit. I'll leave the compartment with the gas furnace as it is but I can take over the compartment with the dryer and find a way to safely integrate the dryer into the lab.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom