Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: wre]
    #14056662 - 03/02/11 09:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know of any study offhand. I'm sure there are hundreds. Alcohol psychosis is very common.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOzymandihash
Bloodthirsty Shrimp
Male

Loc: FreeRepublic of Mrikostan
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: veggie]
    #14058005 - 03/03/11 02:55 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Also I've read there's as much as 100 other cannbanoids present in different strains weed to varying degrees. In the same way that the various synthetic cannbanoids have different "highs" ranging from sedating to stimulating (with all different levels of "trippy" added in when you mix them), there's most likely a whole host of natural cannbanoids present in every strain of weed that have various "highs" in relation to one another.

I guess that by "cannbanoids" you mean "cannabinoids". Let's not forget about non-cannabinoid terpens (limonene, citral and so on). These plays some role too in the different effects.

Quote:

The strains have been bread in such a way so as to maximize profits as CBD mutes the effects of THC to the extent that if you have enough you'll hardly feel high at all as CBD is not psychoactive aside from being an antipsych.

I'm not sure we can say that CBD is not psychoactive, less than THC it is, but not, I don't think so. One of the strongest hash I've ever smoked was garda from Shebarghan (N. Afghanistan), made from high CBD strains and I could definitely feel it.

I think it's irrevelant to talk about THC or CBD alone when daling with cannabis potency, for the thae effect is the result of interaction between the different cannabinoids AND the non-cannabinoid terpens.

Quote:

Frequent exposure of large amounts of skunk multiple times per day daily for a period of years in predisposed users does increase psychosis risk,

I'm sorry but doesn't mean anything. Skunk is one strain among litteraly THOUSANDS of commercial strains. regrouping all these under one single appelation is nonsense. You just can't compare a durban poison with a chitrali strain, it's two different world.

Also, one thing these studies never take into account, beside what kind of cannabis is smoked, is how cured the used product is.
Most of the weed commercialy available hasn't been given proper curing time (no dealer or commercial grower is going to wait one to three months before selling their stock !), and that is something crucial, for the curing allows certain chemical reactions to take place, reactions which eliminate, or reduce, the amount of unwanted compounds, those very same able to induce unwanted effects.

I've verified it myself more than once, with just dry weed producing unpleasant effect, where as one or two months later it was all good.
If you go to Himachal, Pakistan or Afghanistan (places with a much long histtory of use, and greater knowledge about the product than us) all charsees will tell you, smoking too young, uncured garda/charas is not good for the mind.

Irie !

--------------------
"To forbid or even seriously to restrict the use of so gracious an herb as hemp would cause widespread suffering and annoyance and to large bands of worshipped ascetics, deep-seated anger. It would rob the people of a solace in discomfort, of a cure in sickness, of a guardian whose gracious protection saves them from the attacks of evil influences, and whose mightly power makes the devotee of the Victorious, overcoming the demons of hunger and thirst, of panic, fear, of the glamour of Maya or matter, and of madness, able in rest to brood on the Eternal, till the Eternal,possessing him body and soul, frees him from the haunting of self and receives him into the Ocean of Being." Indian Hemp Drugs Commission

Invisible5-HT2A

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Ozymandihash]
    #14058444 - 03/03/11 07:06 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I'm sorry but doesn't mean anything. Skunk is one strain among litteraly THOUSANDS of commercial strains. regrouping all these under one single appelation is nonsense. You just can't compare a durban poison with a chitrali strain, it's two different world.

Calm down sling blade. Obviously I was referring to strains with a particularly high THC:CBD ratio.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: wre]
    #14059466 - 03/03/11 01:32 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

wre said:
Hey anyone know if there any study s or evidence that shows that alcohol raises "psychosis/mental illness rick" because I'm sure it would and be a higher risk with booze

Why is that?  Because you personally enjoy cannabis more than drinking and "know" it's a better, safer drug?

Alcohol psychosis is almost always from extraordinarily heavy consumption or withdrawal.  The psychosis is almost unanimously only experienced by people with previously reported alcolism.

And here's the kicker to hopefully exacerbate your qualms about research exposing potentially negative aspects of your beloved cannabis:

Quote:

Those with first-episode psychosis are twice more likely than the general population to present with comorbid substance abuse and are more commonly males than females. The most commonly reported substance is cannabis (51%) followed by alcohol (43%).3

So there ya have it, my brethren or sisteren.  Cannabis leads the first-episode drug-induced psychosis frequency parade by far.

How about looking at drug research objectively instead of getting upset any time research exposes something that counteracts your delusions or wishes that cannabis and psychedelics are risk-free, perfect gifts bestowed on the human race?  Yeah, all psychoactive drugs have RISKS.  Imagine that shit.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service