Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures)
    #1400702 - 03/22/03 12:41 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Hello there,

I will need your advice concerning some of my BRF Jars that are possibly contaminated. I have 2 Koh Samui jars that are fully colonized since 2 weeks. They were good looking during the colonization but when it was completed, they both started to get a green color at the bottom. The side of the jars looks great and healthy but the bottom looks a bit green. Tell me what you think.

Koh Samui #1

Koh Samui #2

This one is a Tapalpa that is also fully colonized since a couple of days but developped some yellow thing at the bottom. I think I read somewhere on this board that this could be *mycellium piss* but I don't remember if it's good or not or what is this more precisely. Since the search engine is down, I must ask the question. Here's the pic :

Last thing. I have a cake (Tapalpa) that was put in my terrarium 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of pins yet but again, the cake started to get a greenish look on the top (well, the top was actually the bottom of the jar since it was flipped upside down once in the terrarium). When this one was put in the terrarium, I saw it wasn't entirely white at some place but at this point, I thought the mycellium was thiner and that the darkest area were caused by the vermiculite that was showing throught (sorry for that last fucked up sentence, i'm working on my english). I took some pics of it and hope you could give me some advice. Thanks in advance !!

Last thing. Why all these cakes contaminate at the bottom?!?!??! That's weird. I had one contaminated jar in the past that was contaminating from everywhere very rapidly and I had no doubt about it so it ended in the garbage very rapidly. But these one, if it's really contamination, they have all the same *behavior*. In other word, the colonization goes very well and once it's 100% done, the bottom of the cake gets greener... That looks pretty weird to me..

I can't wait for your comments.

thanks in advance!!

-david.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1401039 - 03/22/03 03:24 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

i think the bottoms ones are a bluing reaction, nothing to be alarmed about, if it was trichoderma or any other kind of contaminant it would be germinating, leaving little tiny green spots around, its not what you have their which to me looks like a bruise. if its in the terranium just give it a while with the proper air exchange and humidity and the mycelium should recover. You should get a second opinion though to be on the safe side. those other ones i would not touch at all.

i dont know man its hard to tell

--------------------
What?

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1401098 - 03/22/03 04:00 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for your advice.. I will let it fruit and see what happens. The blue spot seems to grow a little instead of disappering. It wasn't that big when I put it in the terrarium. I would say it's 25% bigger than 2 weeks ago, when the cake was introduced in the terrarium.

What about the one that shows yellow on the bottom. It's a form of contaminant? What is mycellium piss ? Is that mycellium piss?

thanks!

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1402658 - 03/23/03 07:36 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

it could be piss but i dont know lol. draco hasnt had too much experience with that except for a slight browning spot on one of the cakes, it wasnt degenerative, and a friend of his told him that it was beause of too much moisture on the bottom. how did you sterlize your jars?

--------------------
What?

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1402818 - 03/23/03 08:47 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Hey,

I sterilized my jars with a boiling pan for about 1 hour and a cheap pressure cooker for about 45 minutes. Yeah that's weird but I made 8 jars at once and the PC can only contain 4 jar and I wanted all my jars to go in the PC at least half an hour so anyway... who cares...

My jar with some yellow spots at bottom is degenerative. I mean, at first i was only seeing 3 or 4 yellow spots, now there's plenty.

I also have a Matias Romero cake that was put in my terrarium something like 1 hour ago that shows 1 or 2 brownish/yellow spot (not as bright yellow as the cake showed on picture). According to what you are saying, this is probaly just caused by moisture or something.... That's why he's in my terrarium now...:)

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1404599 - 03/23/03 11:02 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

I'd say first two pics show signs of contamination, toss them.
The yellow stuff might be mycelium excretion but only time will tell.
Last pics looks like bruising to me.

As advice, when you reach 80% colonization flip the jars and untape the inoculation holes (if any) to increase air exchange. The problem with the bottom is that if it takes too long to colonize, other organism might do it, like contaminants.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineaeonblue
OrganicSpiral

Loc: northeast us
Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: MAIA]
    #1406067 - 03/24/03 11:53 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I have also read about someone with the same circumstances and a thought occured. I (dreamed) that when my jars are nearing completion, I often turn them upside down to look at the bottom, and then rightside up. When the cakes shrink during colonization, there is a little space in the jar for the cakes to move. Maybe the coloring on the bottom (at least the bluish stuff) is bruising from the cake bouncing up and down inside the jar? Maybe my dead fish Alfalfa will try vigorously shaking a jar from side to side to see if this happens on the sides as well. Hope they aren't contams.

--------------------
The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.

Paul Valery

www.dailygrail.com

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: aeonblue]
    #1409051 - 03/25/03 01:24 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Hey,

MAIA, thanks for your opinion.  One question remains. You said if it's mycellium excretion,  only time will say.  What should I expect to see in the near future if it's really mycellium piss? In my next batch, I will use the flipping tek for faster colonization, thanks for the advice!!

Aeonblue,  yeah, this makes sense to me.  I was thinking the same thing about the bouncing bruising.  And I was also wondering why my cakes shrink in the jar (these 11 jars I made are my first ones and I wasn't sure if shrinking is normal or not!!) so thanks for answering a question I didn't ask :smile:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1410045 - 03/25/03 09:44 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

What should I expect to see in the near future if it's really mycellium piss?

When you birth the jar you shouldn't expect any nasty smell. Second, after birthing, the excretion should stop and mycelium should take over that area.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Contamination?? Looks weird to me... (pictures) [Re: MAIA]
    #1410312 - 03/26/03 03:14 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Well if the green-topped one was Trich then you'd know by now, It would be all over the place.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies