Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetibberous
Stranger

Splicing together 4 wires
    #13843896 - 01/24/11 07:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a wire that connects to an outlet. I'm trying to add in another outlet and a light. So, I take the four ends and wrap them all together, then electrical tape them, right? Is there anything else to it, because it looks pretty shitty - I don't want it catching fire.

I got wire nuts, but they don't seem to fit. Just tape them on?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Splicing together 4 wires [Re: tibberous]
    #13846170 - 01/25/11 04:51 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> I got wire nuts, but they don't seem to fit. Just tape them on?

No!  To do this properly, you need the correct size wire nut.  Strip about 1/2 inch of insulation from each wire.  Line them up side by side all in the same direction.  Twist the metal ends together three or four turns (with pliers to save your fingers).  Slip on a properly sized wire nut.  Twist the wire nut tight.

Wire nuts are color coded by size.  You didn't say what gauge wire you are using, but if I were guessing, I would guess you need a red one (or possibly tan if you are using smaller gauge wire).  Yellow will almost certainly be too small.  A properly sized wire nut should slide on the twisted wires with a slight resistance.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetibberous
Stranger

Re: Splicing together 4 wires [Re: Seuss]
    #13848520 - 01/25/11 03:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I had the red ones. I ended up just taping them on, before I read your reply. The wire was rated for 20amp - it was a heavy gauge, which might have been why the wirenuts didn't go on -- also I couldn't wrap all the ends together at once, I had to wrap 2 then wrap in another one.

It's working anyway =/

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
2,741 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.018 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.