Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Loc: CA
Portabella Questions
    #1346822 - 03/02/03 11:54 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

i want to start growing portabellas but i can't find any spores, does anyone know where i can get them, or is there any successful way to get spores from mushrooms that can be bought from the supermarket. what is the best subsrate and tempatures to grow them at.
and if anyone has a good link to a portabella growing guide can you post it here.

--------------------
"your gunna have a bankroll so big its gunna look like your pockets got the mumps" -the mack

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: BigBlackNinja]
    #1346830 - 03/02/03 11:57 AM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Hum... you might try to clone them from the supermarket.
Portabellas are overgrown criminis, which have very similar growth conditions to Agaricus bisporus.
You'll need definitely need compost.

edit:spelling...

Edited by MushMushi (03/02/03 12:14 PM)

InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Loc: CA
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: MushMushi]
    #1346885 - 03/02/03 12:29 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

can you send me a link on insturctions on cloning please?

--------------------
"your gunna have a bankroll so big its gunna look like your pockets got the mumps" -the mack

Offlinebluelou
NUTCASEdrugbucket!
Male User Gallery

Loc: $hroom Central
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: BigBlackNinja]
    #1349098 - 03/04/03 06:27 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Wish i knew how to give links but???

Cloning is cutting the bottom fat part of stem,then make cuts like slicing a pinapple till you get a peace of the inner middle of stem. That needs to be put into petri dish an the way i make agar is with BRF paste an honey (sterile) dunk the cutting in some H2o2 in a good glove box avoiding contames. Maybe ill try that to an post results soon? :blush: :wink: 

--------------------
Have you tried my(black kow) pile style tek outdoors!!!!!!!!

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: bluelou]
    #1349328 - 03/04/03 08:08 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

blue cant you just copy paste them?From the address bar into the reply window?

Btw i have white button and chestnut button clones both gotten from shop bought fresh mushrooms.I found them to be the easyest to clone.I suppose its because the've been cultivated to some time.

I made up this agar
Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA)
broth from boiling 150 grams sliced potatoes
in 500ml water for 30 minutes(add water to 500ml)
9 g agar agar
10 ml Local honey
.88ml of 17% Peroxide

and cleanly cut out a section from inside the stems making sure none of it was
ever outside skin,using a sharp scalpel and as sterile conditions as i could manage.My success rate is about 1 from 3 dont contam so my advice is always do a few whan cloning.

There are some good tips in the faq under cultivation
good luck with it.

--------------------
er

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: G a n j a]
    #1349936 - 03/04/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Ganja>>>r those potatoe slices peeled and how thick should they be sliced into??? (obviously if too thin, they will mush
and will be difficult to strain)

So when this broth cools, u mix everything together and then Pressure cook??
I have read that tissue from the cap is the best to clone from cus it is close to where the spore producing cells are.
My therapist tried to cut a piece from that area just outta curiosity when he harvested a small casing
and he says when he was  trying to cut a small section off from the cap (was a small cap too) he kept
cutting into the gill. It wasnt easy.  If u get a piece of the gills, can it still be used to clone with?
Any1 have any pics of  inner tissue removal from a cap.....?

sBUD:tongue: 

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Portabella Questions [Re: sBUD]
    #1350200 - 03/04/03 01:21 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

if you prefer you could use 5 grams of instant potato flakes, int he mixture instead of actual potatos

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1350893 - 03/04/03 07:10 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

So far ive used peeled and unpeeled potatoes cut into thick chip size.I've also used frozen chips but this was a mistake and only as an experiment as the chips were coated in a thin oil so this found its way into the agar,although there was only a small amount of oil and it didnt make any difference that i could see.

then strain this and top the water back up to 500ml then add the other ingredients except the peroxide.and simmer untill the agar agar flakes are disolved stiring oftern and keeping a lid on he pot.

Once its all disolved into the mix i pour it into a jug and cover with cling film i hen stick a thermometer through the cling film into the mix and wait till the temp drops to 130?f then i add the peroxide and stir and pour the plates before it cools to much.

I dont pressusre cook anything as i use peroxide and i think you only need to if your not using peroxide?maybe some one else can confirm this?

Im going to do a photo cloning thread thing maybe tomorrow as its best to see pics imo.But i think you can use any part of the mushroom to clone,it doesnt have to be from the cap.With these buttoms i found it easyer to take a stem culture rather than a cap one,just because that was the thickest flesh.

You dont need to get a clone from the cap to get a fruiting clone as if its from any part of a fruit its already got all the genes it needs.Also if you were to use a part of the gill you may not get a true clone as you could get extra genes in the mix if any spores from the gill germinated i think?

The only clones ive taken from mushrooms to small to cut open and get inside tissue i just cut sections of the stem >O<  with the outside skin attached still,these do seem to contam more but the key is to take many on the of chance that a section doesnt contam and can be transphered to clean plates.

Good luck sBud 
ps did you get that culture?i sent? and agar work is the best part imo as it makes me feel sorta mad scientist ish lol :tongue: i suppose a lot of people got that out the way at school lol,i did not :?| and i learnt it all from the fine people here :smile: so thanks all who have advised me in the last 3 months :smile:

--------------------
er

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
    #1353029 - 03/05/03 03:42 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

thx raadt and ganja!
I'll keep that in mind  about using powdered potato flakes instead of broth.
But since i luv eating mashed potatoes, i almost alwayz have potato broth on hand when i make them lol  Now i dont have to discard the broth =)

"simmer untill the agar agar flakes are disolved stiring oftern and keeping a lid on he pot."
>>>uhmmm, how can we stir often when the lid is closed =)
i think u mean take the lid off and then stir and keep doing that. But then it would lose steam every time u open the lid.  HMmmm, what would happen if u accidentally get the broth to  a low boil??  Would that screw things up and  make u start all over again?
Out of curiosity but is it possible to overdissolve the agar and siimmer it too long?

dont need a pc for this??  ~yayyy~
thx thx thx sooo much Ganja for telling us about the peroxide, cus otherwise us members who dont have a  pc wouldnt be able to do this and we'd be screwed! ....or at least wait til we do get one :frown:
I have seen some formulas but with yeast and no peroxide...so i would imagine that if yeast was used, a PC would be absolute necessary???

YAy again i cant wait til u post pics of the  cloning. I totally agree with u that it is best to see with pics. it would clarify things and since cloning is veeeery susceptible to contamination, a step by step pictorial would be extremely helpful!
In what forum will u post this?

Part of the gill and u will not get a true clone???
My therapist was wondering  if u could use the veil (the very moment it broke)
to germinate  nutrified agar media and when a pure culture is achieve, use it to inoculate  sterilised grains with????  Would/could that work??? ..Or better yet, could that veil (with all those spores attached to it be used as cloning material??
(srry.... kinda went off topic there) :smirk:

get what culture? u sent me one?....LOL
i think u have me mistaken for some1 else  HEHHEHE
I did see another member here  called spud, maybe thats who ur referring to  :grin:
HUmmm, what  species was it if i may ask?  Waaaaas it a portabello culture *crossing fingers* =D
Yepp, thx to all those who r helpful...u too Ganja!!!! :wink:

sBUD:p 

Edited by sBUD (03/05/03 03:48 PM)

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#1353537 - 03/05/03 11:24 PM (21 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah you loss a bit of steam when to stir :tongue: but not a lot.I also forgot to say that when i pour the mix into a jug i also top it back to 500ml with a little boiled water.
If it reaches boiling theres no prob infact you should get it up to boiling before you turn it down to simmer.The olny pro is when it boild over as its some sticky goo to clean up lol.

As to the peroxide i use that as i dont have a pressure cooker and dont forget you can only clone onto peroxide  you will not be able to germinate spores on it unless you use a barrier like cardboard.

I still feel anything a pressuer cooker can do so can a microwave :smile: but thats just me.

Unsure about yeast as i havent used it yet but i would guess you could microwave it to death :smile:
I dont think agar is an exact science recipie wise i just think there is perfection followed by a large range to either side.i.e as long as you get it nearly there it should work out.including the peroxide addage as again there is margin for slight error.

Part of the gill and u will not get a true clone???
Well im not 100% about this i  was just guessing that if an spores did get in they could change the genetics of the clone but i am only guessing here dont take it as fact.

you can clone any tissue from the mycelium to the fruiting body its just there are less contam chances from centered flesh that isnt in the open air.

Did i not send you a button clone ?i though i remebered you asking?if not and you wont one let me know i have a few edibls spare at the moment.
choose from
Pleurotus ostreatus (Common oyster)
Pleurotus cornucopiae (Golden oyster)
Lentinus edodes    (Shiitake)
Agaricus bisporus  (white button)
Agaricus bisporus  (Brown button)

--------------------
er

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
    #1354948 - 03/06/03 11:31 AM (21 years, 18 days ago)

Yepp, i think u already said that about filling the jug back up to 500 ml  after it has dissolved and
u are ready to  pour into the petri dishes.
Cleaning up sticky  goo from overboiling???? no , noooo....i wasnt referring to that hard of a boil LOL

Uhmmmm, what do u mean use a  barrier like cardboard???? :confused: :confused:

Nope that wasnt me who u sent that button clone to :grin: :grin: :grin:
Those edibles that u have....r they cultured onto agar?  Usually... how many grains of jarz  is inoculated
from one culture dish?  I know ya cut them into small pieces and transfer them into the grain jarz, but do ya find
that the more pieces of culture u use, the faster the colonisation?

hummmmmmmmm, outta that list  Lentinus edodes (shiitake)  sounds most appealing, but portabello's is my
fav one to eat and that is the one that i want to try the most
:tongue: :wink: :tongue:

Thx Ganja,

sBUD :tongue:   

OfflineNextKind
Cannabinoid

#2962921 - 08/04/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thelittleguy.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates