Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefeifen

The Offical (Lets talk about diet)!
    #12814805 - 06/27/10 09:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So time and time again, I hear people ask:

Quote:

What foods should I eat and why!?

Well, we don't have one of these threads, so I figured we should start one, because after all what you eat is FAR more important than anything else, you can't out train a bad diet. So lets get started!

Proteins (Complete and incomplete amino chains)
Complex Carbohydrates
Simple Carbohydrates (sucrose, fructose,
Fats (mono, poly, sat, trans)
Vitamins (A, B's 1-7, 9, 12, C, D, E, K, Essential Fatty Acids, U, O)
Minerals (Potassium, Chloride, Sodium, Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Iodine, Selenium, Molybdenum)

EFAs (Essen. Fatty Acids) here are only two EFAs alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, and linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. Some researchers consider gamma-linolenic acid (omega-6) lauric acid (saturated fatty acid), and palmitoleic acid (monosaturated fatty acid)

Now lets start to break things down by functions.

Proteins (complete): This means that (when broken down) it contains the whole amino chain to form together to make a linear bond! This means everything is groovy. Right? Wrong. Protein needs to be taken in conjunction with carbohydrates and fats. Now you may be asking why? Well I'll tell you! If you don't have sufficient levels of carbohydrates and fats, your body will use the protein for energy and TO MAKE FAT. Yep, thats right. You think drinking that protein shake is all you need huh? Well guess again. You NEED sufficient levels of those two so that protein can do its job! Repairing your body and making you stronger! Most meats have complete proteins, so if you're a meat eater, don't worry much.

So lets talk about Incomplete proteins. Incomplete proteins are essentially vegetable/fruit/nut proteins that don't have the full amino chain, and yes, you need the full chain to have a proper (and healthy) diet. Now, you may be asking, well I don't want to eat meat for my complete proteins, I'm a vegan! No worries. You can get ALL your essential proteins without even touching meat -- promise! You can make combinations to have the full amino chain! Some examples of this would be:

Peanut butter on whole-wheat bread
Whole-wheat bun with sesame seeds
Humus (chickpeas and sesame paste)
Rice and beans Breadsticks rolled with sesame seeds
Trail mix (peanuts and sunflower seeds)
Bean soup and a roll Rice cakes with peanut butter
Salad with chickpeas and cornbread
Tofu-vegetable stir-fry over rice or pasta
Vegetarian chili with bread

So lets talk about Carbohydrates:

Complex: You want these!! LOTS of these. This is your FUEL and this is what keeps you going! Complex carbs are broken down into glucose more slowly than simple carbohydrates and thus provide a gradual steady stream of energy throughout the day, glucose is then transformed into ATP (energy, essentially). Your WHOLE body is run by this. (Nervous, digestive, immune, etc) Without it you are probably going to enter a catabolic state (feeding off protein/fats) instead of carbs. The great thing about Complex Carbohydrates is that good sources more likely than not have MOST of your essential vitamins and minerals! With a combo of sources you'll be good to go! Some great examples are:

Bran
Wheatgerm
Barley
Maize
Buckwheat
Cornmeal
Oatmeal
Pasta
Macaroni
Spaghetti
Brown rice
Potatoes
Other root vegetables
Wholemeal breads
Granary bread
Brown bread
Pitta bread
Bagel
Wholegrain cereals
High fiber breakfast cereals
Porridge oats
All bran
Wheetabix
Shredded wheat
Ryvita crispbread
Muesli
Cassava
Corn
Yam
Oatcakes
Peas
Beans
Lentils

DON'T BE AFRAID TO EAT THESE. They <ARE> your friend and are COMPLETELY ESSENTIAL TO YOUR DIET. Don't let that "low-carb diet" bullshit you, those people are fucking morons, period. You need a lot of carbs to fuel that body!!

Simple Carbohydrates: Essentially the same as above, except that it spikes blood sugar levels because it breaks down fast for quick energy, "burst" energy so to speak. Avoid them like the devil. However, there are a few examples that would be considered "healthy" IMO. That exception, would be fruits. I would recommend you eat a serving or two of fruits daily.

Apples
Blackberries
Blackcurrants
Cherry
Nectarines
Cranberries
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Lemon
Melon
Oranges
Peach
Pear
Plum
Raspberries
Strawberries

Fats: Wow I don't even know where to begin. I bet the first thing you think of when you think of fat is somebody overweight and unhealthy. Well, guess what! Fat is a GOOD thing. Too much of fat is a bad thing, but eating just right is GOOD! Fats play a vital role in maintaining healthy skin and hair, insulating body organs against shock, maintaining body temperature, promoting healthy cell function, and fats also regulate your hormones! Yep, thats right, you want to get more testesterone? Well, you better be eating fats (EFA's especially!) Many vitamins are fat soluble only, so fats literally are essential to the diet and to deny it is to deny yourself. Try to avoid saturated fats and trans fats, but mono and poly fats are your friends and actually reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.

Some foods to get healthy fats:

fish
nuts of all kinds
grains (whole wheat preferably)
olive oil
hemp seeds
sunflower seeds
cantaloupe
papaya
avocado

will update later.

Edited by feifen (07/03/10 05:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: feifen]
    #12815058 - 06/27/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is a good post.
I have a terrible diet and I often forget a meal and I will throw my next meal up because my stomach is empty. That will also set off an anxiety attack.

I am trying to eat well now.
I am vegetarian so I have to work around a few things but I will try some of what you said.

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Offlinelovecheese
observer
Male

Loc: n. illinois
Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: bryguy27007]
    #12824825 - 06/29/10 05:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

this is all generally accepted theory which has been proven wrong many times over.

care to explain raw foodists and juice fasters? they completely debunk your fat/protein/carb theory.

Offlinefeifen

Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: lovecheese]
    #12825452 - 06/29/10 07:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chairlock3d said:
this is all generally accepted theory which has been proven wrong many times over.

care to explain raw foodists and juice fasters? they completely debunk your fat/protein/carb theory.

I'm quite confused by your post. What exactly would I be explaining? This is no theory, this is proven information that is accepted by the science and health community as a whole, and while you may think that this information is "debunked" you have provided no basis on your argument

Raw foodists still have to eat a variety of foods to form complete proteins or they won't build muscle properly, they still eat plenty of nuts/etc with high fat content (healthy fats though, monosaturated mostly) and tons and tons of carbs which they get from their food as well. So you can argue that if a well planned out diet for raw foodist, they can indeed be some of the most healthy humans on earth.

Juice fasters? Don't make me laugh. You aren't going to be a healthy human being FASTING on juice.

You don't see very many vegan body builders(which there are a few). I wonder why? Oh yeah, its because its difficult to get huge amounts of complete protein without consuming milk/animal meat/eggs/fish which all are GREAT sources for protein.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
    #12825815 - 06/29/10 08:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've seen good health come from good diet and spirit and I think that people should try healthful things while they discover more about their own metabolism and the foods that benefit them in thier goals. I don't think anything was "de-bunked" as I find the post helpful to others and I don't have to say one is wrong to see the right in each.
Too many bodies to be so rigid or certain in my life. I've only been in medicine 26 years - still learning...

Why do I like the "eating" diets? Because we used to have the "starving" ones and that was worse....:thumbup:

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Edited by curenado (06/29/10 08:29 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: curenado]
    #12826906 - 06/30/10 12:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Feifen - Any opinion on TVP (textured vegetable protein?)

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinefeifen

Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: PDU]
    #12828091 - 06/30/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My opinion is to eat it! TVPs are complete proteins and have quite healthy benefits and contain no fat. You could completely replace meat with TVP if you wished, many vegans/vegetarians do with TVP and they can still eat burgers, chili and other replacements that can come out even tastier than meat if you get it right!

I eat probably 200 grams worth of protein of TVP weekly myself. :thumbup:

If you have any questions please ask! I love to help. :grin:

I'll be updating this tonight probably.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

#12829717 - 06/30/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Aren't processed soy products full of phytoestrogens?  I didn't think soy products contained complete proteins either.

--------------------

Offlinefeifen

Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: sunflower]
    #12829821 - 06/30/10 04:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sunflower said:
Aren't processed soy products full of phytoestrogens?  I didn't think soy products contained complete proteins either.

If by full you mean "insignificant" amounts, then yes. Also...

From a vegetarian site, quote on quote..

Quote:

"Soy protein isolate is used as a health food as it is a complete vegetable protein containing all the essential amino acids for growth."

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/textured-vegetable-protein.php

I have not read one study showing that soy products even EFFECT testosterone levels, all studies have extremely mixed results, with some people ending with higher and some end with lower. Phytoestrogens in soy literally are insignificant amounts, you have to eat absurb amounts of it to probably even make a difference in your body (assuming you have a workout regime, I highly, highly doubt this would effect anything)

So again, eat up! Don't be afraid to mix up your diet, your body likes variety.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #12829948 - 06/30/10 04:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I would avoid soy unless you can certify that is was organically grown. About 95% of all soybeans produced in the U.S. are genetically modified by Monsanto. May as well just reach for another protein source. There's plenty out there.

As for diet, I personally follow three simple rules.

Eat Food. Not Too much. Mostly plants.

Also have a look at this video presented by a doctor who sheds light on some very important points pertaining to diet.

:earth:

--------------------

Offlinefeifen

Re: The Offical (Lets talk about diet)! [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #12830139 - 06/30/10 05:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh. I know him and I've seen that video its a good one, and its true. He's a very smart man. :thumbup:

If you feed your body healthy things, it will promote a healthier living, which was my main purpose of this thread. This includes healthier skin, fitness, immune system, digestive system and much more. Your diet is literally everything. :tongue:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds