Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBruit
whoosh

Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance
    #12773207 - 06/20/10 12:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm confused about the monotub design; only 6 holes (I'm referring to Ohmatic's design to clarify) and no fanning. That just doesn't makes sense to me. I know people have had great success with monotubs but let me try to explain where I'm coming from...

From what I understood about the shotgun terrarium there is ample FAE from the pressure gradient that exists between the dense air around the perlite layer and the lighter pressure air above it. This is also aided by numerous holes throughout the box. Reading RR's comments in various posts, I've come to think that FAE is of utmost importance in the growth of fruiting bodies, even more so than humidity levels. From my extremely limited experience this seems very true.

Why wouldn't there be more holes similar to Doc_T's minitub design (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10713572#10713572)? That seems like it would be better for FAE and the development of fruits. I searched and found one thresad comparing the results of the minitub design versus the monotub design (but without final results reported). I understand that in the monotub design carbon dioxide is expelled out from the bottom holes and fresh air is sucked in through the top but...doesn't that mean air exchange is limited to the metabolic rate of the fungus? Also, does anyone have anyone have a comparison of the two designs that I may have missed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Bruit]
    #12775077 - 06/20/10 06:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The hybrid shotgun bulk tub is sort of a new idea. I also do the same thing with dubtubs.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Bruit]
    #12775363 - 06/20/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Bruit said:
I've come to think that FAE is of utmost importance in the growth of fruiting bodies, even more so than humidity levels. From my extremely limited experience this seems very true.

Why wouldn't there be more holes similar to Doc_T's minitub design? That seems like it would be better for FAE and the development of fruits.

FAE with turbulent air is the best thing you can provide for the mushrooms.

Some "strains" can fruit in high CO2 environments, while others suffer, with MS it's all a gamble. Taking the poly-fill out of the monotub holes and misting to replace lost moisture will give much better results. The size of the holes then isn't optimal, since they were made to be stuffed. They are so big and spaced, creating extreme spots instead of even distribution of air flow. The shotgun design with smaller, more evenly spaced holes achieves the ideal.

Doc was definitely onto something when he posted this design.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

Edited by wygram (06/20/10 07:32 PM)

Offlinemushroommaan
Stranger
Male
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: wygram]
    #12775676 - 06/20/10 08:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Many ppl do monos for there convenience. I like many other do not have time to make sure tubs are drying out do to too much FAE.

--------------------
Welcome to mushroom land,
Home of the Mushroommaan,
Who lives on Shroomery way.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: mushroommaan]
    #12775697 - 06/20/10 08:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have used mono as well as some mini mono's like doc t made.  I am getting ready to do a 64 quart mini mono well it aint so mini lol.

Doc you think I can successfully make a 64 quart tub work lol.  I normally only do small 24 quart mini mono's

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Damion5050]
    #12775778 - 06/20/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If you can do a normal monotub that big, a hybrid should work just as well. Maybe weller.

--------------------

OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Damion5050]
    #12775860 - 06/20/10 08:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation wygram.
Damion, did you notice better yields, better fruit quality or anything along those lines? lol and definitely do the 64 qt "mini" tub. I want to hear how it turns out.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12776065 - 06/20/10 09:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I will do a grow log with it.  I am currently waiting on the jars to colonize. 

The big thing IMO with the mini mono/shotgun hybrids is that they get really good FAE so they tend to start pinning faster.  But in overall weight they come out around the same.  But like I said a mini mono gets plenty of fresh air but you do need to mist it more often.  So we will see like I said I have only done little 24 quart hybrids.  I am gona try a 64 quart on my next grow.

OfflineBruit
whoosh

#12776357 - 06/20/10 11:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So then...there is no advantage of minitubs over monotubs? Other than better contam control. That's lame I would really like minitubs to perform better. oh well :frown:

I'm sure the answer is yes, but I'll ask anyway just to be sure: when you say equal weight you are comparing the yield from equal substrate sizes, right?

Edit: Your avatar is BANGIN!

Edited by Bruit (06/20/10 11:03 PM)

OfflineBentley
 User Gallery

#12776435 - 06/20/10 11:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm currently fruiting a couple tubs using Doc_T's design.

I'm blaming MS for the one side pin, but more may come in the next days or after I dunk. I have had great success doing regular monotubs.

Hopefully it bursts like I'm hoping, but MS is a bitch.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Bentley]
    #12776650 - 06/21/10 12:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what size range do we consider a mini mono? i have a couple fifty quart tubs of poo pinning now.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Psychoslut]
    #12776716 - 06/21/10 12:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I guess I should choose my words a little more carefully. when I say minitub I'm really referring to that shotgun/monotub design I read here (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10713572#10713572). The title says minitub so that's what I called it. It's the design not the size that I was curious about.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12777359 - 06/21/10 04:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: Doc_T]
    #12777447 - 06/21/10 06:00 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

One advantage is distributing your eggs into more baskets.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflineBruit
whoosh

Re: Confused about monotub FAE and question regarding monotub vs mini tub performance [Re: anonjon]
    #12781565 - 06/21/10 10:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
One advantage is distributing your eggs into more baskets.

Actually... that's a very good point. Didn't think of it like that. :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags