Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekuf66ver
Stranger

Companies with bogus drug testing policies
    #12549852 - 05/12/10 04:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I had a job at Dollar General for almost 2 years.  They randomly tested 20% of applicants pre-employment.  After I had been there 18 months, they imposed a new drug testing policy where all employees could be randomly drug tested at any time.

Well, a couple month's later, my boss called and said I was selected for a random drug test and that I had to show up the next day to do it or I'd be fired.  I knew I couldn't piss clean so I quit right then.  It just isn't fair to impose bogus drug testing policies when drug tests primarily search for use of the least dangerous drug, in my opinion, marijuana.

After being a loyal employee with a perfect attendance and conduct record, I feel that these random test are unwarranted and unfair, especially at a convenience store that doesn't even require the use of any machinery.  So, what are some of your experiences with companies that seem to target marijuana users for no reason?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: kuf66ver]
    #12549861 - 05/12/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Why didn't you just circumvent it? Fake pee, dilution, bleach, whizzinator. There's plenty of ways.

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
    #12549879 - 05/12/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If I owned a company - hell, even a business - I'd want to make sure my employees were drug free.

I wouldn't want the risk of losing an employee due to an arrest. I wouldn't want deals happening on my property. I would like to be able to trust my employees handling money.

If alcohol and opiates show up on your drug screen and I've given you a week's notice, there has to be something going on.

As far as corporations go, they typically pull the drug test card when they want you fired, esp if you've been there for awhile.

Offlinekuf66ver
Stranger

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Adden]
    #12549999 - 05/12/10 04:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If I owned a company, I would only drug test those who were using heavy machinery.  Depending on the job, I understand that drug testing is important for safety reasons, but all I did was stand at a register and stock shelves.  Never had any cash discrepancies or complaints.  I was often praised for my good work.

I think what a person does on their own time shouldn't have any effect on their job.  I never smoked before or during work, never did any drug deals on the property.  Guess I can't assume everyone is as ethical as me, but until there is a problem on the job, I don't think drug testing should be a part of general store employment.

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

#12550008 - 05/12/10 04:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Or at the very least, it should be limited to saliva testing.

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
    #12550064 - 05/12/10 05:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

A lot of people fail to recognize there are marijuana users that are thieves, worthless, etc. (Or, worthless thieves that happen to use marijuana.)

I worked with two stoners at an Office Depot a few years ago. They made off with a few LCD TV's, over a dozen cameras, flash drives, software, you name it.

What'd they do? Bought a few pounds of weed.

These are the kinds of people that I wouldn't want employed at my business.

As an example, say I test you guys. The three of you test positive for THC. I pick you, and I'm alright.

I pick either one of them and I just lost a shitload of money for my small business. Maybe not even being able to recoup my losses to keep my store operating.

Offlinekuf66ver
Stranger

#12551119 - 05/12/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

There are plenty of thieves that have never used marijuana.  Unless you can come up with some sort of proof that stoners are more likely to steal from their workplace, I don't think that's a valid point.

OfflineAsAboveSoBelow
The matrix has you

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Adden]
    #12551173 - 05/12/10 07:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What if I was a medical user with a card? Would u fire  me if I worked for you and tested positive? (Lets pretend you live in a medical state, dunno where you live)

--------------------

You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #12551186 - 05/12/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Get some synthetic urine and always have a bottle close by just in case.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Adden] * 1
    #12551276 - 05/12/10 07:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:
A lot of people fail to recognize there are marijuana users that are thieves, worthless, etc. (Or, worthless thieves that happen to use marijuana.)

I worked with two stoners at an Office Depot a few years ago. They made off with a few LCD TV's, over a dozen cameras, flash drives, software, you name it.

What'd they do? Bought a few pounds of weed.

These are the kinds of people that I wouldn't want employed at my business.

As an example, say I test you guys. The three of you test positive for THC. I pick you, and I'm alright.

I pick either one of them and I just lost a shitload of money for my small business. Maybe not even being able to recoup my losses to keep my store operating.

So you are just going to just blanket discriminate against all users of one of the most common drugs on the planet, because a couple of them might be bad?
IMO companies should have no say in what people consume in their own free time.
As long as it does not adversely effect work performance, and they don't come to work all fucked up, and they are good workers, then what's the problem?
If they are an asset to your business, then who cares how they enjoy themselves in their free time?
Drug testing is bullshit, and is a prime example of what's wrong with the world, when people are telling other people what they can and can't put in their own bodies, yet it is perfectly acceptable to get blasted drunk and come to work all hungover, I don't get it.
Anyway, I've had great success with real human powdered urine, stays good for a year.

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Shroomism]
    #12551698 - 05/12/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I totally agree.

Drug testing is an invasion of privacy. Just because it's socially accepted doesn't make it right.

Evaluate & discipline employees based on performance, not what they choose to put in their bodies.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineMaurer

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Adamist]
    #12551740 - 05/12/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Adamist said:
I totally agree.

Drug testing is an invasion of privacy. Just because it's socially accepted doesn't make it right.

Evaluate & discipline employees based on performance, not what they choose to put in their bodies.

As long as my employees didn't come to work high or hung over and shit of that nature I don't give a shit what they do on their own time. Supervising people at ups sucks balls because they come to work high and useless. They have a no drug test policy and I can't do a damn thing about it but put up with them being an idiot thanks to the teamsters union.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Adamist]
    #12551768 - 05/12/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Adamist said:
I totally agree.

the whole problem is about ASSESSMENT
and the easiest way to assess somebodies performance is a standardized test
and how can you make one for every job
its called  a drug test
thats how they judge ur performance
its of course HIGHLY inaccurate but at the moment its the only blanket standardized test of performance for every job

--------------------

OfflineMaurer

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Coaster]
    #12551803 - 05/12/10 08:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

Adamist said:
I totally agree.

its called  a drug test
its of course HIGHLY inaccurate but at the moment its the only blanket standardized test of performance for every job

That's not always true, I found when it came to loading trucks the stoners where the most useless people I have ever seen in my life. Not one of the stoners I hate to yell at all day could do a damn thing other than bitch about being hungry or find a way to get out of work. I support drug testing in the work place and I don't get it any how. Why is it all the alcoholics could work twice as hard and yet the stoners would fail to read, or load fast :facepalm: This is why companies drug test, no different than saying a breathalizer is a good idea for drunk drivers. Drunk drivers are bad drivers+stoners are useless in the work place.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Maurer] * 1
    #12551820 - 05/12/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Maurer said:
Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

Adamist said:
I totally agree.

its called  a drug test

That's not always true, I found when it came to loading trucks the stoners where the most useless people I have ever seen in my life. Not one of the stoners I hate to yell at all day could do a damn thing other than bitch about being hungry or find a way to get out of work. I support drug testing in the work place and I don't get it any how. Why is it all the alcoholics could work twice as hard and yet the stoners would fail to read, or load fast :facepalm: This is why companies drug test, no different than saying a breathalizer is a good idea for drunk drivers. Drunk drivers are bad drivers+stoners are useless in the work place.

ur sample is biased and thats why you got an erroneous result
the average age of alcoholics is higher than the average age of stoners there4 alcoholics not only have more responsibilities but also have a better work ethic
stoners dont care about getting fired or working hard cuz they are young
most alcoholics work to support their family or own lives and need jobs to live
stoners need jobs to smoke.

--------------------

OfflineMaurer

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Coaster]
    #12551869 - 05/12/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

Maurer said:
Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

Adamist said:
I totally agree.

its called  a drug test

ur sample is biased and thats why you got an erroneous result
the average age of alcoholics is higher than the average age of stoners there4 alcoholics not only have more responsibilities but also have a better work ethic
stoners dont care about getting fired or working hard cuz they are young
most alcoholics work to support their family or own lives and need jobs to live
stoners need jobs to smoke.

Many of them were 3 or 4 years older than myself and I had to watch over them. Some were 10 or 15 years older. The 18 year old alcoholics could double the 35 year old stoners in scans and still have less mistakes. Stoners aren't about age, the bad apples that come to work high ruin it for the ones that might be responsible there for drug testing is needed to weed them out.

--------------------

OfflineSlavaslave
Howdy folks
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a box passing as a dor... Flag
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Maurer]
    #12551930 - 05/12/10 09:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

what about more serious jobs... for instance im a life guard, do you think they have the right to drug test me?

i dont go to work high or anything, but even being a little burnt out could affect my ability to think in the event of an emergency...

honestly i dont know which way to think here, wondering what you guys have to say

--------------------
"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley." RIP

OfflineMaurer

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Slavaslave]
    #12552040 - 05/12/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Slavaslave said:
what about more serious jobs... for instance im a life guard, do you think they have the right to drug test me?

i dont go to work high or anything, but even being a little burnt out could affect my ability to think in the event of an emergency...

honestly i dont know which way to think here, wondering what you guys have to say

Of course being high at all would affect your reaction time and performance. You may not be so bad but their are so many bad apples who get high before work. Serious or not some people (especially stoners) who do not give a shit.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: Slavaslave] * 1
    #12552208 - 05/12/10 10:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Slavaslave said:

Showing up to work hung over is a million times worse than showing up 'a little bit burnt out'.  I know many lifeguards who go drinking and come in in the morning thinking more about their head than the people in the pool.  And you're telling me you're uncertain whether they should test people for marijuana? :facepalm:

Maurer your arguments are shit.  Those aer not arguments for drug testing, those are arguments for firing people who come to the job intoxicated.  Smoking weed =/= irresponsible lazy fuck.  I smoke weed almost every day, and I work extremely hard at my job.  How can you honestly think that because you've seen people come to work high that drug testing should be forced upon every employee??  There are tons of people who show up to work drunk every morning.  Baileys in the coffee, etc, and you don't see them getting tested/fired/not getting jobs, even though their addiction is FAR worse than any 'stoner'.

It has nothing to do with a standardized test as Coaster said, it's all about having control.  Think about it.  Weed is not legal because all the people up top shut it down.  Well they conveniently make it pretty damned easy for themselves to keep it illegal, and keep all the sheep under control, if they never allow drug users to get jobs and get up to the top to make changes.  Seems pretty simple to me.

It's complete bullshit.  Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs out there, and has some of the worst next day effects of any drug.  It is inane to argue that because you worked with idiots that drug testing should be illegal.  The problem wasn't the weed, the problem was the people.  Smoking weed is something they do all the time BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY FUCKS, not the other way around.

OfflineSgtFloyd
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Companies with bogus drug testing policies [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #12552435 - 05/12/10 10:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

People who don't do drugs do bad things at work, too.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order