Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
morels on rye grain?
    #12177081 - 03/10/10 11:46 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Hi, my question regards the initial stages of morel cultivation. I want to create an outdoor garden near my house. I have have heard some strategies that seem to work locally, using fresh alder chips and cardboard. To make spawn, can I simply inject a jar prepared the same way I prepare it for cubensis, with organic rye grain kernels soaked in coffee water and PC'd, and then do grain-to-grain transfers to build up my spawn? Or do morels require different nutrients? I've found a couple of vague references in my searches that seem to indicate that this might work.

Thanks for any input!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morels on rye grain? [Re: Puma]
    #12179492 - 03/10/10 07:12 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

You have to have a nutrient poor layer of mulch dust supplemented with gypsum on top of your grain mixture. But if you just want to use grain and decrease your chances of success...Anyway you should ask this in the thread "morel cult thread" that is the thread for answers.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: morels on rye grain? [Re: AcidHorse]
    #12188935 - 03/12/10 09:30 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Rye grain will work great for morels. I would inoculate some compost or sawdust to use to make your outdoor beds. Grain will attract pests.

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morels on rye grain? [Re: Grzyby]
    #12189170 - 03/12/10 10:22 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

You can use wheat berries or rye grain but you can not inoculate on the grain otherwise it will be a nutrient source that is external to the fungus and the sexual cycle will not commence to any stage that is appreciable. Meaning they will not form mushrooms anytime soon or next year. Grzyby you need to understand the mechanics of surface run-off and nutrient depletion. Puma use fruits and vegetable compost + grain mixed with vegetable oil + table sugar. Cover it with soil+mulch mixed with gypsum. Inoculate on the soil+mulch.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (03/12/10 10:29 AM)

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
Re: morels on rye grain? [Re: AcidHorse]
    #12204083 - 03/15/10 12:17 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks to you both... food for thought. I'll keep looking into this, and try something soon...

--------------------

Offlineencryptor
 User Gallery

Re: morels on rye grain? [Re: Puma]
    #13646159 - 12/17/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Forget about using coffee water.  This will make your rye come out crappy, IMO.  Yes, you can use the rye nutrient on the bottom of a quart jar, then I'd coarse layer of fine gravel, then your 50/50+ mix to make the morel bulbs.  The 50/50+ mix should mimic the outdoors, e.g. wood chips, pieces of cardboard, native soil.  I would think the PH of this top layer would be a little bit acidic as such in nature.  The outdoor mix you create is hopefully going to adapt to the morel species.  Grow Oak, Maple, and Ash trees in the area, because it's on the roots of these hardwood trees where morels commonly grow.  Microscopy shows spores take these tree roots.  The morel bulbs that form in the nutrient poor layer (top layer) have a biological name, but I can't think of what that is.:syringe::mushroom2:

Edited by encryptor (12/17/10 08:42 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract