Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

New Agaricus Blazei Grow
    #11569829 - 12/02/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hello friends,

working on my second blazei grow, this time with spores collected from my own fruit bodies.

i used my homemade compost mixed with other brf ingredients and inoculated with a spore syringe i made up on 11/09/09. seemed to take forever to germ, but really it was probably only 8-9 days--way longer than most other species i've germed before, but the wait was worth it.

as these brfs were busy i visited one of our sponsors sites recently to look at their stuff and they have little guides for this and that. on the page with agar growing they had the most beautiful petri dish filled with what looked like the most perfect rhizomorphic mycelia. something RR would be proud of i'm sure. now of course, as we know, or have read about, mycelia that is rhizomorphic, providing the species in question has rhizomorphic mycelia, tends to produce the most abundant amount of fruit and that is definitely a plus when growing any fungi for personal use or profit, wouldn't you say?

don't take this wrong, but sometimes we are lazy or in a hot rush to get anything in the incubation chamber, then moving on to the fruiting chamber, and we may settle for something less on the mycelial stage, especially if we are the ones doing the agar transfers. am i right or not?

now again, when i saw that beautiful petri dish filled with superb-looking mycelia i wanted to do just as good. i don't have the clean room or HEPA filtered air, like some people or labs, so i have to use what a lot of us have to, and that is a plastic tub with holes in it and tyvek sleeves in a kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom or whatever to get our work done. are we on the same page here people? this only makes us that much more aware of the microscopic vermin bent on our failure.

with all that preamble said, here is where i am at the moment. i have about 8 special compost/brf combo jars. here's 6 pics to show you what's going on.

now looking at these babies, you might think, "well, shit houdinihar, what's your beef wendy? they all look pretty damn good." and that is the crux of the matter friends. usually i wouldn't care about choosing any of these guys for reproductive work. they do all look pretty good, but since my visit to that aforementioned website, i am seeking a better strain, visually for now, by choosing the most rhizomorphic growth and cloning it.

i believe have narrowed it down to 3 jars out of 8. you might say, i only posted 6 pics and that is true because 2 of the jars suck and are full of cottony mycelia and i didn't want to post those. now out of the 3 i have cloned one jar today, because i felt it was the most rhizomorphic and fully developed in the jar. that was my rationale.

take another look and tell me which would you pick if it was up to you?
here is the one i chose today, friends. it was a close call between #1 or #2 believe
but the i chose today is behind door #2

to me 1,2, & 4 are my strongest contenders for speices reproduction here, since i am leaning in that direction. i will follow through friday for the #1 and #4 be be on the hit for cloning.

post here and let's talk. that's what our forums are all about, isn't it?

take care,
houdinihar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: houdinihar]
    #11570465 - 12/02/09 02:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey houdinihar,

Your jars are looking good. I agree with you that 1/2/4 look best.

Have you thought about doing more of this isolation/selection work on agar? That might prove even more fruitful. Also, what about experimenting with different types of agar (e.g. adding some sawdust, or manure, or potatoes, etc.) and seeing if that makes a difference?

--------------------
I am looking for the following edible cultures:
  • Chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus)
  • Wood blewit (Lepista nuda)
  • Cauliflower (Sparassis crispa)

My trade list of available cultures is in my Journal.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: gribi]
    #11570827 - 12/02/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I would agree with gribi
I would try doing agar work and selecting strong wedges to transfer.
Breeding genetics  :sexysmile:
Does anyone know if it can be possible for a 3rd generation (tranfer growth) be weaker than the 2nd?

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11571129 - 12/02/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Did you sterilise the BRF/compost in teh pc? and you got that, I have on A Brasilenis spore print I am soon to put ito the syringe myself and I musrt say that this looks pretty fucking encouraging, so good job!

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#11572442 - 12/02/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gribi said:
Hey houdinihar,

Your jars are looking good. I agree with you that 1/2/4 look best.

Have you thought about doing more of this isolation/selection work on agar? That might prove even more fruitful. Also, what about experimenting with different types of agar (e.g. adding some sawdust, or manure, or potatoes, etc.) and seeing if that makes a difference?

actually, i took wedges from #2 today and applied to agar to isolate the rhizopmorphicmycelia.

and to Lennybernadino 
Quote:

Did you sterilise the BRF/compost in teh pc

i did pc sterilize these guys.

thanks guys. i'll keep the updates coming.
houdinihar

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #11574859 - 12/03/09 03:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Lennybernadino said:
... I have on A Brasilenis spore print I am soon to put ito the syringe myself...

A. blazei and A. braziliensis are the same mushroom by two different names.  Some scientists believe even A. subrufescens is the same too.

What's in a name ?  Didn't shakespeare say "An Agaricus by any other name would taste as good ?"

I just put my blazei jars into the fruiting chamber tonight.

Wish me luck, and thanks Houdi...think they are yours.

Good grow,

Jef

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: Jef]
    #11575482 - 12/03/09 08:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Great Jef--i'll wish you well. wold be good to see other successful grows of this elusive fungus.

houdinihar

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
    #11575704 - 12/03/09 09:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well I had the ´pleasure of a side by side comparison of both mushrooms, and Agaricus Blazei deffinitely has a stronger almondy flavor(and probably stronger medicinal value) and is more scaly, while subrufescens here seems almost pure white and has a more button mushroom flavor with less almondy flavor(delicius raw in salad)

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #11576537 - 12/03/09 12:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Houdinihar,

Have you ever seen you A. blazei culture stop growing and even wither away on a plate?

It happened to me over the last few days. I had a few transfered wedges growing nicely on MYPA until recently. Then, all of a sudden, they stopped growing and the mycelial network seems to have dried up and disappeared. I transfered some more of the original culture on to PDA agar, on the odd chance that A. blazei + MYPA don't get along. Still strange though. Stamets does mention that A. blazei tends to abort for unknown reasons.

--------------------

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#11577628 - 12/03/09 03:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Have you ever seen you A. blazei culture stop growing and even wither away on a plate?

haven't had that happen yet gribi. i have cultures on plates over a month old. i use pdya, pda, and mea. i'll let you know how these new rhizo transfers go on pdya after coming off the special brf i made.

houdinihar

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11579688 - 12/03/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My a. blazei culture refused to grow on MYA. When I finally poured MYPA plates I got some cell division, but not much. This is a difficult species it would seem.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: fungus_tao]
    #11580260 - 12/03/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I agree - it seems that some species are a lot more sensitive to agar type. For example, the strain of shitake that I'm working with nearly refused to grow on standard MYPA - and this is going from LC to agar! However, adding a bit of sawdust to MYPA proved very helpful and the cultures are growing much faster.

I'm hoping to see better A. blazei growth on PDA. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
    #11581643 - 12/04/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Houdinihar sent me the strain I have as mycelium, and I am growing it on MEYA:

15 grams Tan Malt Extract (health food store) 2 grams Nutritional yeast flakes (health food store) and 15 grams agar for making desserts (chinese philippine or other oriental grocery stores). Makes one litre or fifty petris.

I worked for a lab supply company and still bought these regular items at the grocery. 

What some of you might consider an impurity I would think might be a nutrient you could be missing.

It could be Houdi's good culture, but it likes this stuff.

My advice: be more primitive.

Good growing,

Jef

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

#11597393 - 12/06/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gribi said:

That A. blazei culture is doing some really weird stuff on sawdust-supplemented MYPA. Check it out:

It doesn't even look like Agaricus mycelium anymore! The growth reminds me of fairy ring mushroom.

--------------------

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#11598898 - 12/06/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

here is a quickey update of one picture from the plates done a few days. this is on PDYA. still needs another plate transfer and the picture quality could be better. not my best camera for closeups.

i think you can see the rhizo growth okay.
i plated out the other 2 brf jars last night.

houdinihar

OfflineProfessor Frink
Mycomaniac

Loc: USA
    #11605042 - 12/07/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There's definitely something about what you're saying gribi, i've been doing LC to agar work as well. Coincidentally i have a Lion's Mane strain growing next to a Yellow Oyster, one agar is this recipe:

4.5 gram agar
2 tablespoons potato mix
1 cup water
1 teaspoon honey

The other is Stamets's recipe for Dog Food Agar supplemented with some aspen sawdust.

The Lion's mane is growing pretty well on the grocery store agar.

It looks a lot different in a larger breathable dish with 100X the volume of air and grocery store agar.

But it seems to be doing less well on a plate of the supplemented DFA.

The yellow oyster is producing thick spotted growth on grocery store agar, Not very aireal and very cottony.

The yellow oyster in a bigger dish with grocery store agar the exact size as the LM. Seems thicker, less spotty.

The difference is huge on supplemented DFA. Very aerial and cottony, the fine growths of mycelium can be individually identified.

--------------------
Culture trade list

Wanted Culture list:

Panellus stipticus
Yellow Morel

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: Professor Frink]
    #11777093 - 01/06/10 02:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

finally some new pics.
substrate takes a while to colonize well with blazei. my literature says about 21 days to colonize a large, ie, several kilos of substrate (5-10 kilos each), and that's what i'm using this time instead of my little tubs. i have 5 large bags of this incubating at the moment.
i am at the point of trying out different substrate mixes. i have plenty of grain spawn ready to go for my next compost batch. i've used up everything (all the compost) i already had made. in the mean time i bought a gas-powered shreadder for cheap and have been tearing up some stuff around here that grows wild and is considered a pest plant.

1st bag showing good colonization of the substrate--the dark edges are due to poor light from the flash

here's a closeup of bag 1

2nd bag showing good colonization of the substrate--ditto the dark edges

and the closeup of bag 2

i will allow these bags to continue to colonize for at least another week before going on to casing.

ambient temps in the house are 76 F, and ambient humidity is between 20-60%, hence the need for the bags. they are good, cheap incubating homes.

houdinihar

Offlinesansa

#11782893 - 01/07/10 11:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where did you get the spores? I was only able to find a culture from a place in Sweden.

Offlinesansa

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: sansa]
    #11783049 - 01/07/10 12:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Would blazei grow in verm/WBS jars?

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: New Agaricus Blazei Grow [Re: sansa]
    #11783567 - 01/07/10 01:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

MRCA has A. blazei spores for sale, though getting them to germinate is tricky:

http://www.mrcashop.org

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds