Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued)
    #11387441 - 11/04/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hi so earlier I started a thread stating that Hyphae's Pinning Strategy was full of outdated info but I didn’t give examples in the original post (which I should have).  When I got home and saw that folks were a little pissed because I didn’t back myself up, I wrote a quick post saying I’ll be back in a minute to get specific, and then George ‘total joke of a TC’ Castanza shut the thread down like a dickless fascist...Just 5 minutes after I said I’d be right back to explain!  But anyway I meant for the discussion to be serious and I’ll now write what I meant to before.  Sorry that this wasn’t included in the first post.

And as I said in the original thread, the point is not to disrespect Hyphae or his 5 year-old pinning strategy but my issue is that noobs are constantly being directed to that old thread and many users have a link to it in their signatures.  My point is that it is a bad thing to encourage beginners to read for these kinds of reasons:

Quote:

hyphae said:
We will start with the use of cakes to make casings as most newbies will be starting this way.

These days casing crumbled cakes is ill-advised

Quote:

hyphae said:
Lets begin with your cakes they need to be incubated at optimum temps (for best results) 82-84 degrees

Not only is this not optimal for cakes but it can be very bad for a tray or bulk tub, which will produce more heat and CO2 depending on its size.  It’s now recommended to aim for mid to upper 70s F.

Quote:

hyphae said:
until colonized fully this means not just the surface but throughout the cake. This will usually happen 3-4 days after the outside has been colonized.

Again we now know that’s not true.  The inside is already colonized when all surfaces are visibly colonized.

Quote:

hyphae said:
after the cakes have been cleaned of all pins/knots (anything that can be wiped off the surface)

Not necessary and especially harmful if fruiting as a cake. A noob could easily misinterpret this as common practice.

Quote:

hyphae said:
Once the cakes have been crumbled I like to let them sit overnight to recoup so any exposed areas will be covered. I will then place them into a cleaned tray/container.

Bad practice.  The mycelium should begin to re-knit itself asap in the same container it will fruit in (and cover that for a few days).  Waiting overnight just disrupts the mycelium twice for no good reason.

OKAY...  That's just the FIRST paragraph of Hyphae's Pinning Strategy.  Let me know if I should continue, the section on overlay is a hoot. 

And this strategy is being is recommended to noobs almost daily.  That's the issue I was raising.  The way we promote something that is outdated to say the least.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11387504 - 11/04/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

minus the temperature and the overnight parts, i disagree with everything else you stated.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Citizen13]
    #11387533 - 11/04/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I let bulk tubs heat themselves to 82-84 in a styro cooler, works great. Give it a try, you'll see.

Thanks for posting it like this. I don't agree with all that, but I'm glad to see it. You should think about making a full page entry in your journal and linking to that.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Sol system
    #11387555 - 11/04/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Great examples, and I totally agree with some of them (not all).  Many of those I had to figure out on my own because of a lack of consensus or the material posted was outdated or simply wrong.  Please do go forward. 

But the only problem I see with you spending the time is that it won't be as visible as the core posts posted in the FAQ's and linked to throughout the site.

What needs to happen is the FAQ’s and core posts need to be replaced or updated.

Just my

--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny

AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca,Ga,Id wanna trade LOL Flag
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Citizen13]
    #11387556 - 11/04/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

man i just birthed a shit load of cakes that were colonized on the out side. and a bunch werent fully colonized in the middle.so you should always wait at least 3 or 4 days after.and a bunch of the cakes that werent fully colonized contaminated with the mean green.so your giving some shitty advise to people here.

--------------------
if you dont got no one to hate on feel free to hate on me!:tongue:

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Citizen13] * 1
    #11387563 - 11/04/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Citizen13 said:
minus the temperature and the overnight parts, i disagree with everything else you stated.

Yeah I only really agree with the overnight part. The temps he referred to were for incubating cakes, not trays/monos anyway.

Where is all the bad info about the actual pinning process?

Personally, I am beginning to think that consolidation time matters more than casing/not casing.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Edited by dancefloordale (11/05/09 02:29 AM)

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11387595 - 11/04/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dancefloordale said:
Quote:

Citizen13 said:

Yeah I only really agree with the overnight part. The temps he referred to were for incubating cakes, not trays anyway.

Where is all the bad info about the actual pinning process?

Personally, I am beginning to think that consolidation time matters more than casing/not casing.

Correct. I let my substrates consolidate for 1.5 weeks after 100% colonization. I think my results speak for themselves.(check the sig)

Where is the misinformation about the PINNING strategy?

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Jitsu]
    #11387648 - 11/04/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It just so happens that when you case, the sub consolidates a little longer, and this could lead to some skewed results. :shrug:

Just brainstorming.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #11388577 - 11/05/09 12:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

tall dwarf said:and then George �total joke of a TC� Castanza shut the thread down like a dickless fascist..

Now am going to ban you from this forum for flaming and spreading misinformation.

I have a very nice dick, this is pure misinformation.

Oh, and I do like how you put some content into this post, very worthwhile thread.

See ya in a week.

:vaped:

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca,Ga,Id wanna trade LOL Flag
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: george castanza]
    #11388647 - 11/05/09 12:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
tall dwarf said:and then George �total joke of a TC� Castanza shut the thread down like a dickless fascist..

Now am going to ban you from this forum for flaming and spreading misinformation.

Oh, and I do like how you put some content into this post, very worthwhile thread.

See ya in a week.

:rofl2:i seen this coming when i first read it.:lmafo:

--------------------
if you dont got no one to hate on feel free to hate on me!:tongue:

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

#11388660 - 11/05/09 12:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm glad that this thread was continued, but it's unfortunate that the op had to get banned.  That's what you get for disrespecting someone with power.  It is deserved I suppose though, both the banning and the insults.

I do agree with some of the things you said tall dwarf.  Like others said though, only some.  The overnight thing and temps in particular.  Everything else you have a problem with I think is indeed probably in fact pretty accurate information.  I would like to hear your opinion of the rest of the tek though, you do make some valid points.  Hopefully you won't get banned again for doing so, hah.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #11388662 - 11/05/09 12:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:lol: george

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Roadkill]
    #11388723 - 11/05/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

These days casing crumbled cakes is ill-advised

cakes, if crumbled finely with a cheese grater, make for great spawn. 
many inoculation points for subs like coir/verm.

cant argue with results.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #11388728 - 11/05/09 01:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

oh and by the way...

Quote:

tall dwarf said:

Quote:

hyphae said:

Lets begin with your cakes they need to be incubated at optimum temps (for best results) 82-84 degrees

Not only is this not optimal for cakes but it can be very bad for a tray or bulk tub, which will produce more heat and CO2 depending on its size.  It?s now recommended to aim for mid to upper 70s F.

81 degrees F. is the optimal temp for colonizing cakes. <--key word "Cakes"

so you are spreading misinformation yourself.

other substrates and bulk substrates colonize better at room temp...

but not PF Cakes.

~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinetall dwarf 2
Stranger
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: Roadkill]
    #11391357 - 11/05/09 02:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

uh...yeah so anyway, It’s really sad that I was banned.  Georgie-boy pretty much proved the 'dickless fascist' thing in one stroke.  So much for renewing my supporter subscription and strictly buying from sponsers.  This place has lost my support.  When the Shroomery moves its headquarters out of Iran then I'll reconsider. 

Quote:

Roadkill said:oh and by the way...

81 degrees F. is the optimal temp for colonizing cakes.
so you are spreading misinformation yourself.

Well I’m sticking with upper 70s for cakes but regardless, that’s just one out of 5 things that I found worth questioning in the first 9 sentences of Hyphae’s Pinning Strategy.  If you are agreeing with me on the other 4 points (or even 2 or 3…)  then you are admitting that there are 4 inaccurate statements in the first 9 sentences of the document.  I know some of those examples were a little knit-picky but in the original thread people were on my ass to provide evidence for my argument so I just started from the beginning.

For those people who say they only agree with me on “temp” and “overnight” points, are you saying that it is advisable these days for a noob to straight case a crumbled cake?  Are you saying that a cake is not colonized on the inside when it looks colonized on the outside?  And are you saying that it is necessary to scrape off all knots and pins and “anything that can be scraped off the surface” of a cake before crumbling?  If that’s what you’re saying then be clear. 
It would be nice to have a REAL debate about the quality and relevance of Hyphae's Pinning Strategy to us in Nov 2009.  Unless I get banned again by one of the trolling mods, maybe we can finally do it!

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: tall dwarf 2]
    #11391419 - 11/05/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

couldnt you just solve this by rewriting the tek with what you think is more current and updated info and then post that.:stoned:

tall dwarf tek the revised strategy.:super:

that would be less hostile and more constructive than flaming others provoked or not.:sun:

update dont hate. :lmafo:

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Offlinetall dwarf 2
Stranger
Re: Hyphae's Pinning Strategy - bad advice (continued) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11391451 - 11/05/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think an update is a great idea. :thumbup:  But shouldn't it be Hyphae to update his own material?  I'm not so sure about the ethics of re-writing someone else's tek.

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11391461 - 11/05/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:

See ya in a week.

:highfive:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11391465 - 11/05/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tall dwarf 2 said:
I think an update is a great idea. :thumbup:  But shouldn't it be Hyphae to update his own material?  I'm not so sure about the ethics of re-writing someone else's tek.

puppet :crankey:

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11391505 - 11/05/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tall dwarf 2 said:

its been done to stamets' TMC a billion times over by people posting growlogs and changing the teks to fit their needs.  its the same as re-writing with updated info.:smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds