Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecujo7999
Space Monkey

Loc: USA; Home of "The Man"
extraction: isopropyl alcohol
    #1098944 - 11/30/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

isopropyl alcohol is used in alot of simple extractions and i was wondering if it leaves any residue that might be harmful after the alcohol is evaporated?

--------------------
*This is all Fiction by the Way*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: cujo7999]
    #1098969 - 11/30/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

am no chemist but if evaporation is complete theres no residue
i used this to concentrate thc in leaves for years with no ill effects

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: chinacat72]
    #1098979 - 11/30/02 05:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

no , all the bad stuff is gone, but if you use isopropyl, use it QUICKLY, meaning don't leave the plant matter soaking in it for days, as you would with say everclear. the ISO will get to much of the clorophil ( sp?) and you will have a dark gummy product. unless you do further process to clean it up. i believe ( and i may be wrong on this) that 15 minutes is the longest soak time you use with ISO

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #1099308 - 11/30/02 08:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If the evaporation is complete, there should be no isopropyl alcohol in the extraction.

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: cujo7999]
    #1101535 - 12/01/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Most store bought Rubbing Alcohol is 70% IPA, 30% H20.

For extraction methods you want 100% Isopropyl Alcohol. As said before, most times you will find the 70/30 bottles of the shelves. However, you can find 90/10 (`member that's alcohol/water) at some stores. SOme pharmicies sell 100% IPA, though you most often must ask for it.

IF you can't get your hands on 100% IPA, then get yourself some Epson Salts. Epson Salts when mixed with Rubbing Alcohol will absorb the water in the IPA, thus drying it out. However, you may have to pass the Same IPA volume through nermous amounts of Epson Salts. THere is a point where the Salts cannot absorb more water, saturation has been reached.

However, you need not go out and buy more Epson Salts when your supply has been depleted. SImply place the satureted Salts in a hot oven, low heat for about an hour. You may further grind or crush the Epson Salts to help handling and to have more surface area to absorb the water for the amount of Epson Salts you are using.

WHen starting off with 90% Rubbing Alcohol, it is suggested you make atleast Three passes through freshly baked Espon Salts (Sometimes four for the paranoid). It might take more passes for the 70% Rubbing Alcohol!

Bottom line is, not to have any water in your IPA or any other Solvents for that matter (Acetone comes to mind) when performing extractions. Whatever amount of water you have in your solvent will have to be eventually removed through evaporation or other methods. And considering the boiling point of water, it will be around long after your solvent has left. And waiting around for water to evaporate is just precious time wasted which could have been spent analyzing the results.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: Its Pat]
    #1101991 - 12/01/02 09:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I use Iso 99% to make oil from pot trim, and I let it soak for 24 hours, then strain through a (Secret) filter I've designed...There are NO residues left over after 100% evap...As far as rubbing alcohol goes, residues start to appear when using lower percentages...So, with either rubbing/Iso,(alomost Identical) just use 99% and you'll be fine...Also, I find that giving your oil or extract a cure(let it stand for a few minuts) after evap. that kind of cures it and makes sure all the gases are gone as well...

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: moorhsum]
    #1103275 - 12/02/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: matts]
    #1112015 - 12/04/02 11:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

there isnt more residue with lower percentage... the filler is water so it leaves no residue... unlike naptha in lighter fluid, it has many chems that wont fully evaporate or acetone in nail polish remover, same there.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: matts]
    #1112749 - 12/05/02 04:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

why does that label say isopropyl rubbing alcohol...? :wink:

it's pat, great tip!  thanks.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: felix]
    #1118317 - 12/06/02 06:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Prolly cuz it would be a real bad idea to "rub" methenoll/ethenol on your hands?

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: Its Pat]
    #1131110 - 12/11/02 04:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

you could also, where you in the possesion of one, run the 30-70% IPA through a reflux still first to get out most of the water before using the epsom salts. more hassel if you don't have one, but far less if you do.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinelamvigvam
Stranger
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: chinacat72]
    #14745905 - 07/10/11 02:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What about with mushroom concentrate? Is it safe to use 99% rubbing alcohol, I know your'e obviously not supposed to drink it but would it be safe to use it to make a mushroom extract then consume it orally?

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: lamvigvam]
    #14746198 - 07/10/11 03:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Necromancer!

Buddy it's a 9 y/o thread :wink: it's almost out of Michael Jackson's age range lol

No do not consume rubbing alcohol it is detrimental to health and can poison you. Use 40% vodka if that's all you have but never drink rubbing alcohol.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: extraction: isopropyl alcohol [Re: fngbronco]
    #14746772 - 07/10/11 05:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That said, a small amount of iso wouldn't hurt you- but use ethanol for drinking.
Ok to use isopropyl for the extraction, evap all the way down, then add ethanol or whatever to final product.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract