Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Ganoderma ID
    #10770744 - 07/30/09 08:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Wondering what species these are- I belive the genus is obvious.  All the brown on the big one is from the spores.  Big one growing off a 2x4 and the smaller ones are growing off straw on top of soil.  We have agar ready to make a culture- Thanks to anyone who might be able to narrow down the species.  we are in the central california area.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (07/30/09 08:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: Ganoderma ID [Re: Civ]
    #10770795 - 07/30/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lucidium or tsugae? depends on the type of wood

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma ID [Re: golden1]
    #10771000 - 07/30/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

golden1 said:
lucidium or tsugae? depends on the type of wood

I am pretty sure it is growing on a 2x4 od douglas fur- some of them are just growing off the top soil on the straw (the 2x4 is part of a planter box for the garden, covered in straw)

--------------------

OfflineTikaani
ally
Male User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #10771528 - 07/30/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That is a Hemlock Varnish Shelf (Ganoderma tsugae).  Nice find, great medicinal qualities!  :peace::redpanda:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #10771754 - 07/30/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

G. oregonense is more common in the PNW/ Northern CA.

It is also often more brown in colour, and larger than G. tsugae or G. lucidum.

G. tsugae has smaller pores (about half the size of G. oregonense) and grows almost exclusively on true Firs (Abies) and Hemlock (Tsuga), where as G. oregonense will grow on those two tree types, but also on Pine (Pinus) and Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga).

--------------------

OfflineTikaani
ally
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma ID [Re: CureCat]
    #10771863 - 07/30/09 11:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

(Ganoderma oregonese)

I was thinking this could be the case, but did not find any information about this specie having a stem-like structure.  :peace::redpanda:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma ID [Re: Tikaani]
    #10773362 - 07/31/09 09:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Tikaani said:
Quote:

(Ganoderma oregonese)

I was thinking this could be the case, but did not find any information about this specie having a stem-like structure. 

Missing an "n" in the species name there.

I think all of the "varnished" Ganoderma, and maybe the duller species as well, can produce a stem.
But that is just my observation with other G. oregonense collections.

--------------------

OfflineTrashMan
Big Dummy
Male User Gallery

#10773767 - 07/31/09 10:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I found a setting that allows for much closer pictures without blur from lack of focus, so I took some more picture today and posted them again so you all can have a better look. I'm almost certain the 2"/6" is not pine but is Douglas fir. The smaller ones where found in a neighboring bed under pepper plants that are seemingly unaffected. Even a spot where the mush has grown through the stems of the summer squash. Wild. The three small ones in the pepper bed are coming straight out of the top soil and have, like trees do when a rope is tied around them for years, has grown through the straw in a way that now the straw is almost a part of the fruit body. A third location, again growing directly from the top soil, was a larger one but my wife pulled it in fear and not understanding the find. Now a baby little white puffball is emerging there to make another mush. I will take photos every day or so to show its path to maturity. Also core samples, and spore 2 agar will be done to possibly preserve this awesome find.

On a side note, when I was rototilling my lawn to make the garden I remember grinding up a lot of roots from a tree that I assumed used to grow in the lawn. I went on Google earth and sure enough, big tree in the lawn. So I'm assuming the smaller ones are growing from the root chunks. The only area they are found is pretty much directly over the area where the roots where/are.

Could introducing it to various different sawdusts help narrow down the ID? Maybe it would accept certain tail tail kinds of sawdust and not others? Just a thought. 

Also, is there a way to test the 2"/6" to make certain what kind of wood it is? Maybe a burn test or something? This could really help you all at knowing for certain what it is.

TO ME and Civ, and I'm far from an expert identifier, wont speak for civ, but the cap looks mostly like a Oragonnese, especially on the largest one hanging from the 2/6.

Last night Civ and I where thinking the babies, however, look as though they could be Tsugae. The stem is very red in color and I doubt my back yard is their typical environment due to the low amount of shade and humidity, not to mention 100+ temps the last couple months.. eww.. so this could contribute to mutations possibly right?

Or am I thinking to much, this happens frequently.  :crazy2:

p.s. the first picture is of my backyard garden. aka the G's environment.

--------------------
TrashMan Speaks - Actually he never speaks because trashman is only text on a screen. In reality, TrashMan is just a lie and so are the stories that bares his title.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ganoderma ID [Re: TrashMan]
    #10773892 - 07/31/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TrashMan said:
Or am I thinking to much

Yup!  But that is okay.  It is preferable to not thinking!

Quote:

TrashMan said:
but my wife pulled it in fear and not understanding the find.

Quote:

TrashMan said:
TO ME and Civ

???  :confused:
Civ is your wife??  I'm pretty sure Civ is a dude...

Quote:

TrashMan said:
So I'm assuming the smaller ones are growing from the root chunks. The only area they are found is pretty much directly over the area where the roots where/are.

Sounds like it.

Quote:

TrashMan said:
Could introducing it to various different sawdusts help narrow down the ID? Maybe it would accept certain tail tail kinds of sawdust and not others? Just a thought. 
Also, is there a way to test the 2"/6" to make certain what kind of wood it is? Maybe a burn test or something? This could really help you all at knowing for certain what it is.

Noooo.  It works like this- depending on the species, it will be more likely to germinate and fruit on certain kinds of wood.  However, once it has colonized and has a stable foot hold, it becomes some what opportunistic in what it will eat.  This seems to be a rather vigorous species or strain.

I bet the mushroom originated from the tree roots, and chopping it all up helped it to colonize such a large area!  I'd guess the tree was a Pine or Doug Fir or True Fir of some kind, those are fairly commonly planted in yards.  I don't think that Ganoderma are suppozed to be parasitic, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it colonized a dead part of the once living tree, and compromised its health, slowly killing it, and then whoever was there before decided to chop it down.

At this point I bet you could use most any kind of coniferous wood and the mushroom would devour it.

Quote:

TrashMan said:
Last night Civ and I where thinking the babies, however, look as though they could be Tsugae.

Naw, it is totally all one species.

Nice garden!

Most, if not all, polypores will grow around anything in their way, leaving the object intact and alive, but fully embedded in the mushroom tissue.  I think it was RogerRabbit who posted a photo years ago of a Ganoderma growing around a flower that stood in its way.  The flower stem was totally embedded.  And I have see it a million times, growing around plants and stems and all kinds of crap.

--------------------

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

#10774180 - 07/31/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:

???  :confused:
Civ is your wife??  I'm pretty sure Civ is a dude...

Awww how sweet.  I'am a wife.  Don't tell your wife that trashy.

--------------------

OfflineTikaani
ally
Male User Gallery

#10774422 - 07/31/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Missing an "n" in the species name there.

Oops!  Yeah well it is completely possible to be either, is the size the only observable differentiation (naked eye viewing)?
:peace::redpanda:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10776572 - 07/31/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Tikaani said:
Yeah well it is completely possible to be either

Possible, yes.  Equally likely?  I don't think so.

Quote:

Tikaani said:
is the size the only observable differentiation (naked eye viewing)?

No.  As I said above, it is more common in our area, often more brown (less red), but not always, it has a more wide range of host trees, and the pores are larger.

--------------------

InvisibleDannyGlick

#10776861 - 07/31/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:lolsy:

OfflineTikaani
ally
Male User Gallery

#10776891 - 07/31/09 07:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you for the informative lesson on Ganoderma species.  :dancingbear:

OfflineTrashMan
Big Dummy
Male User Gallery

#10777147 - 07/31/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

hehehe. Had to reread my post to figure out why ya'll thought Civ was my wife, and its funny because my wife always ask's me sarcastically where my boyfriend is, referring to civ, and if we are doing any "mushrooms stuff" tonight. But to clarify, yes Civ is most definitely a dude, and neither my wife nor my boyfriend. lol. ow wow that shits funny. But yeah, thanks for the complement on the Garden of Eat'n. I love gardening and find it to be very rewarding.

Wow, can't wait to try it out and cultivate this bad boy, devour you say. I totally appreciate your detailed identification and will look to you in the future for more Id's if thats cool. Plus your humor is good for the gut.

On an exstistencial note, I find it very cool that after choosing to embark on an edible/medicinal mush venture, a species that fits that very profile grows in my backyard just feet away from my "lab." Its as if the universe is showing signs of positive reinforcement.

"Grow mushrooms and they will come!"

Thinking to much again aren't I? :smile:

--------------------
TrashMan Speaks - Actually he never speaks because trashman is only text on a screen. In reality, TrashMan is just a lie and so are the stories that bares his title.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds