Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Top Chef Masters
    #10485633 - 06/10/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just finished watching this thing and I'm amazed at how anti-microwave these snooty ass chefs are? I mean please, the microwave has been around for some 40 odd years now, if you don't know how to press time, power and start then you're retarded.

I use a microwave all the time in my kitchen. Pastry especially, it is indispensable for melting chocolate, butter, etc. Also restaurants like El Bulli are experimenting with microwave technology to make very light and fluffy cakes as well as rice puffs. Any tool has it's purpose in the kitchen imo, even if that purpose is not so evident to the average chef.

I hate closed mindedness.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: soochi]
    #10488628 - 06/11/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Microwaving is weird.  It is not a conventional heating mechanism and its effects are different on food.  Melting chocolate, fine, and I'd be interested to see these cakes and would definitely try one.  All I know is that there are some things that should never be microwaved, like meat, because microwaved meat is gross.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #10490375 - 06/11/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i gotta say though

it was fun watching Hubert Keller hall ass.

Somtimes u wonder if those chefs still cook in their own kitchens.

I saw some pretty amazing talent last night.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #10491316 - 06/11/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I already knew Hubert would take it. The other chefs were so so. That Tim Love guy is a joke. Tex Mex food is one of those types of cuisine that's hard not to sell to the masses, just dowse everything in sweet spicyness and everyone will love it (Bobby Flay built his whole career on that notion). I also hate chefs that have absolutely no creative ideas when it comes to desserts/pastry. I trained as both and I have a passion for both. To me cooking, especially professional cooking should be all encompassing. For god's sake at least know how to make a decent brownie or cupcake. Hubert's training at Lenotre definitely showed in the elimination round, even if it was a little old fashioned. Training as a chef in Europe usually starts or ends in the pastry kitchen.

If you want to know how those microwave cakes look, see Albert Adria's "Natura" cookbook.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10493202 - 06/12/09 08:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

so who would u consider the other favorites in this competition?

I'm only familiar with some of the big names, because i've seen them on other TV shows.

The only other guys i'm familiar with is Art Smith, Wylie Dufresne, Rick Bayless, and that arrogant prick, Michael Chiarrello.

oh, and I do think John Besh will do well.  He was pretty impressive in "The Next Iron Chef"

he just screwed up the final challenge, overthinking alot of his dishes

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#10493245 - 06/12/09 09:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well, next episode has Wylie and Graham Elliot Bowles. Two chefs I respect. Should be a great episode. I don't know who else is in this competition. If Grant Achatz is in there he should be a strong contender too.

Besh is okay, old school south, well prepared food. Agree with you on Chiarrello, what the hell is he doing in there? Art Smith? Please, he cooks like an overpaid housewife. He's actually opening a restaurant here in DC, more mediocre crap to pass on as "traditional southern" cooking, or in other words poorly prepared food you could probably make better at home on a weekend. Personally when I go out to eat at a nice place it's nice to know that most of what you're getting is either too expensive,impractical or time consuming to cook at home. Fuckin' Paula Deen style cooking isn't worth my time, money or gas. But there's always a market for that stuff since most American's can't cook and have poor taste in cuisine. Just look at the the Cheesecake Factory...ugh

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10493279 - 06/12/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
Well, next episode has Wylie and Graham Elliot Bowles. Two chefs I respect. Should be a great episode. I don't know who else is in this competition.

take a look

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/season-1/bios?limit=48

What i remember about Besh is how flavorfull and approachable his food looked, even though everything was prepared in a flashier manner.

I hope Wylie does well, but I saw his interview with SavoryCities, and he does seem like one of the most socially inadept people i've ever met.  But there's nothing i love more in a Chef than originality.  Whether it be on classical or modern approaches.  Just love people trying to create new things.

U always rag on Cheesecake factory btw.    But their cajun pasta is so good!!!!  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10493792 - 06/12/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
I just finished watching this thing and I'm amazed at how anti-microwave these snooty ass chefs are? I mean please, the microwave has been around for some 40 odd years now, if you don't know how to press time, power and start then you're retarded.

I use a microwave all the time in my kitchen. Pastry especially, it is indispensable for melting chocolate, butter, etc. Also restaurants like El Bulli are experimenting with microwave technology to make very light and fluffy cakes as well as rice puffs. Any tool has it's purpose in the kitchen imo, even if that purpose is not so evident to the average chef.

Don't get all defensive until you try Heston Blumenthal's cooking. He's a clever guy, and not afraid to use advanced technology if he thinks it makes food taste better (and the fat duck restaurant for the past five years has been voted the top restaurant in the world. Judging by the ingredients alone, I can tell what he's making is good). He's opposed to microwaving food, although I haven't heard him in the programs he's done give a thorough explination.

My main problem with microwaves is inconsistent heating. I still use them, but I know from extensive cooking experience that campfire and convection heating results in tastier food. I can't explain the science behind it, but I've never bothered. I'm just happy when food is tasty, and will continue to use any technique and method that keeps those results.

It seems weird to me, fires vary in heat, flicker, produce lots of smoke, and when really hot, it's a nuisance to hold the pan and watch as your knuckle hairs get singed, but always the tastiest food I've eaten has been fried or boiled over a fire.

I'd be the first to admit an open fire is a very primal, manly, good thing to do, and there's often the sharing of drugs and banter, but that's a good thing. Cooking should be a social, jolly thing.

Which brings me back to Heston. He did a bunch of themed dinners based on periods of history, and went to great lenghs to amaze his guests. Food can be entertaining, and then it tastes even better, because one associates a good time with the food.

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10495193 - 06/12/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

<3 heston

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10499075 - 06/13/09 10:24 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

that was a quite a random rambling

who even brought up Heston?

I like his show though.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#10499347 - 06/13/09 11:36 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

He brought him up as a renowned chef who is opposed to microwaving.  soochi's original post does come across as defensive.

LS, you are the guy who went off topic in this thread. 

Microwaves have a place in a kitchen, but that place is extremely limited and can serve to enable laziness and therefore food that is not fresh.

There are however certian applications that do not compromise taste.  It all depends on the density and water content of the food and proper use of the tool.

As a consumer, the notion of avoiding a microwave appeals to me because it is a definite sign that the kitchen is not lazy.  Let's remember that the microwave oven has been a tool of convenience primarily marketed to middle-aged American housewives too stupid and lazy to cook a proper meal for their families.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #10499409 - 06/13/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Which brings me back to Heston. He did a bunch of themed dinners based on periods of history, and went to great lenghs to amaze his guests.

That sounds amazingly cool.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #10499561 - 06/13/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The marketing aspect of it is irrelevant.  If it has a unique use, then it is useful in a restaurant. 

Ive always wanted to try and design one such that I could variably change the frequency over a wide range.  I guarantee you different ranges of frequencies are better for some foods.  Shit I think lasers should be used in the kitchen.  Can you imagine instant cooking in a spot the size of a thumbtack?  You could control very precise areas you want cooked, the level of cooking and so forth.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: Chespirito]
    #10499629 - 06/13/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The marketing aspect is not irrelevant.  The ovens that I am familiar with are machines of convenience, designed to make food prep easier.  I can see how his could be unappealing to somene in charge of a kitchen. 

Lasers would be a more conventional approach because it heats all molecules evenly and not just the water.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#10502433 - 06/13/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Please reread my post. Your reaction to it doesn't make sense, I'm all for exploration and utilization of all equipment in the kitchen, that was my point. I don't expect any Michelin starred chef to be nuking fish or meat in a microwave for god's sake, mainly because microwaving doesn't produce Maillard browning in proteins. All I was trying to point out was the inherent usefulness of anything and everything at a chef's disposal (heck, even aquarium bubblers are all the rage these days thanks to Aduriz)

And please, with all due respect you don't have to school me on Mr. Blumenthal or his cuisine. I got the Fat Duck Cookbook the week it came out :grin:

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10503716 - 06/14/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Heston is a badass, i'd love to try his restaurant one day....

the Fat Duck is supposedly one of the highiest respected places rated by other chefs.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#10504184 - 06/14/09 11:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Aquarium bubblers?  That's cool.  What do they do with them?  aerate dough?

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#10522035 - 06/17/09 05:39 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

the Fat Duck is supposedly one of the highiest respected places rated by other chefs.

i saw pics of their food and it looked pretty nasty, tbh. everything looks so yogurty...

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
    #10524030 - 06/17/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:

My culinary school had exactly 1 microwave in the entire building.  Guess where?  Pastry.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Top Chef Masters [Re: ManianFH]
    #10524163 - 06/17/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

u shouldn't judge food just on appearace, just sayin.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom