Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed?
    #10325362 - 05/12/09 01:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It seems every time my girlfriend smokes weed now, she gets all anxious for no reason. If it's any more than a LITTLE bit of weed, this will happen... and it's about nothing at all. It just happens. On acid she is fine mostly.

Any reasons why? Even she has no clue lol and it's kinda putting her off smoking again. We're both quite infrequent smokers

--------------------

:mushroom2:    That's why I always recommend a psychedelic experience because it makes you realize that all you've learned is in fact just learned and not necessarily the truth. - Bill Hicks    :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePlatypus
Cities of the future

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: AdrianPsy]
    #10325405 - 05/12/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Could be an underlying anxiety issue. Marijuana causes paranoia and anxiety all the time. The anxiety could be from a bad experience with drugs or life. Or it could be a subconscious type of anxiety.

If she isn't usually anxious, its just weed and she should stop smoking. Or she could visit the doctor and tell him/her she is anxious and they prescribe a short acting anti-anxiety medicine like a benzodiazepine or a long term like Prozac.

I am thd exact same, And I bluntly told my doctor I get anxious after smoking pot, and she simply said that marijuana can cause it and sent me off with a prescription for Clonazepam and Prozac.

--------------------
"Good karma may not buy you a meal, but it will cause someone to share a meal with you if you're hungry" -Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Platypus]
    #10325414 - 05/12/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Platypus said:
Could be an underlying anxiety issue. Marijuana causes paranoia and anxiety all the time. The anxiety could be from a bad experience with drugs or life. Or it could be a subconscious type of anxiety.

If she isn't usually anxious, its just weed and she should stop smoking. Or she could visit the doctor and tell him/her she is anxious and they prescribe a short acting anti-anxiety medicine like a benzodiazepine or a long term like Prozac.

I am thd exact same, And I bluntly told my doctor I get anxious after smoking pot, and she simply said that marijuana can cause it and sent me off with a prescription for Clonazepam and Prozac.

great advice from a  4 poster.

OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Cubie]
    #10325522 - 05/12/09 02:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

She is on Sertraline (aka Zoloft) which was prescribed to her for depression and anxiety... she's been on it for two years and is slowly weaning off it since a few days ago. Hopefully that all works out, but could this be the cause?

--------------------

:mushroom2:    That's why I always recommend a psychedelic experience because it makes you realize that all you've learned is in fact just learned and not necessarily the truth. - Bill Hicks    :mushroom2:

OfflineLegalize
Metalhead
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #10325535 - 05/12/09 02:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AdrianPsy said:
It seems every time my girlfriend smokes weed now, she gets all anxious for no reason. If it's any more than a LITTLE bit of weed, this will happen... and it's about nothing at all. It just happens. On acid she is fine mostly.

Any reasons why? Even she has no clue lol and it's kinda putting her off smoking again. We're both quite infrequent smokers

Quote:

AdrianPsy said:
She is on Sertraline (aka Zoloft) which was prescribed to her for depression and anxiety... she's been on it for two years and is slowly weaning off it since a few days ago. Hopefully that all works out, but could this be the cause?

I'm going to go easy on you this time by only giving you a face palm.

:facepalm:

Oh and if you can't figure out why, I went back and bolded it to make it a little more clear.

Fuck it I am feeling really nice and informative. I am going to paste some shit from Erowid for you.

NEGATIVE

* nausea, especially in combination with alcohol, some pharmaceuticals, or other psychoactives
    * coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems
    * difficulty with short term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use (Ranganathan M, D'Souza DC, Psychopharmacology, 2006)
    * racing heart, agitation, feeling tense
    * mild to severe anxiety
    * panic attacks in sensitive users or with very high doses (oral use increases risk of getting too much)
    * headaches
    * dizziness, confusion
    * lightheadedness or fainting (in cases of lowered blood pressure)
    * paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent
    * possible psychological dependence on cannabis
    * clumsiness, loss of coordination at high doses
    * can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders

--------------------

Opiate free since 8/26/10 :thumbup:

Opiate free since 6/22/11 :thumbup: :sun: :thumbup:

OfflinePlatypus
Cities of the future

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Legalize]
    #10325560 - 05/12/09 02:39 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, Like I said, She should stop toking until her anxiety and depression is resolved.
Weening of SSRI's can precipitate some anxiety and smoking pot whilst coming off anti-depressants is just asking for anxiety.

I suggest she take a break from weed until she is completely off medications and after that, If she still gets anxious, She may have to bid farewell to MJ for good.

Of course Im not a doctor, And thats just an opinion.
It would be wise to discuss this issue with a pro.
They legally can't use the info about drug use against you.

Peace

--------------------
"Good karma may not buy you a meal, but it will cause someone to share a meal with you if you're hungry" -Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Platypus]
    #10325658 - 05/12/09 03:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

@Legalise. I know it can give some people anxiety. I was just wondering why. I've read up about Sertraline in combination with MJ and it doesnt seem that bad. But yeah I guess she'll smoke again once she's off it for a while. See how that goes.

Thanks guys.

--------------------

Edited by AdrianPsy (05/12/09 06:17 AM)

OfflineInnoculus
 User Gallery

Loc: 0.0.0.1
    #10325691 - 05/12/09 04:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If I see another "my girlfriend ____ _____ weed" thread, I might tear my skull in half while I scream.

Offlineretrospect
Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Innoculus]
    #10325698 - 05/12/09 04:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

learning to meditate is a good way to get rid of anxiety.

Edited by retrospect (05/12/09 04:16 AM)

OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Innoculus]
    #10325819 - 05/12/09 05:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Innoculus said:
If I see another "my girlfriend ____ _____ weed" thread, I might tear my skull in half while I scream.

Well I wasn't about to get my girlfriend to make an account just to post a thread asking the same question was I. :P

And yeah thanks retrospect, she's been trying to meditate recently.. but she's kinda lazy lol

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#10325879 - 05/12/09 05:56 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

@Legalise. I know it can give some people anxiety. I was just wondering why. I've read up about Sertraline in combination with MJ and it doesnt seem that bad. But yeah I guess she'll smoke again once she's off it for a while. See how that foes.

Thanks guys.

It's because the THC receptor's are next to the GABA receptors (control fight or flight reactions) and they block (i think) the flow.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Offlineenvisionary333
Biopsychosociospiritual Being
Female

Loc: The Eternal Present
Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10326113 - 05/12/09 08:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have a friend like this- I call her "One Hit Wonder" since that's all she can handle!  Maybe your girlfriend could look into using 5-HTP to help with the antidepressants withdrawals?  Exercise helps a lot too.  Also, using kava before smoking weed can be useful, especially if she only smokes infrequently. 

Maybe next time she's feeling anxious, can you sit with her and help her dissect the anxious thoughts she's having and try to identify the source?  Weed can make me anxious sometimes, but whatever I'm anxious about usually has a basis in a real-life fear or worry.

--------------------
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: envisionary333]
    #10326263 - 05/12/09 09:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

if weed makes you anxious, then sort out the root of your anxiety or else stop smoking weed.

dont take prozac

--------------------

Offlineheimiasali
i was a bee
Male
Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #10326726 - 05/12/09 11:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if she have troubles with anxiety is a thing, and maybe she may solve that first, but i dont know, i have a friend who often is vomiting or "feeling" PRETTY BAD, but its just psychologically, think about it.

OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#10328056 - 05/12/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

envisionary333 said:
I have a friend like this- I call her "One Hit Wonder" since that's all she can handle!  Maybe your girlfriend could look into using 5-HTP to help with the antidepressants withdrawals?  Exercise helps a lot too.  Also, using kava before smoking weed can be useful, especially if she only smokes infrequently. 

Maybe next time she's feeling anxious, can you sit with her and help her dissect the anxious thoughts she's having and try to identify the source?  Weed can make me anxious sometimes, but whatever I'm anxious about usually has a basis in a real-life fear or worry.

Well she tells me there's no reason for the anxiety. She used to get it for other reasons (family stuff), which iswhy she was put on it in the first place.

5-HTP is semi legal yeah? Would it really help with SSRI withdrawal?

--------------------

OfflineAdrianPsy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#10328070 - 05/12/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Also she's currently weaning / tapering off her anti depressants.

The doctor told her to do it like this: 1st week - skip 1 day. 2nd week - skip 2 days. 3rd week - skip 3 days. And keep going like that and see how she feels. She's on a 100mg dose of the shit btw

--------------------

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10328395 - 05/12/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If she's had anxiety and depression it makes complete sense she would get anxiety while high. Anxiety/depression makes you less talkative and in effect more secretive. Paranoia and secretiveness result in high anxiety. Among a strew of other things. I'm the same exact way on high amounts of weed.

It's also very hard to talk yourself out of anxiety while high and very easy to worsen it. I can't think straight. 4:20

--------------------
Imagination is the organ of meaning.

Offlineenvisionary333
Female

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: showme]
    #10329853 - 05/12/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That's good that she's tapering down, it should be much easier than stopping all of a sudden.  I have done that before and it is awful, I definitely feel for anyone who goes through it. 

5-HTP is completely legal in the US as a supplement, and it's become pretty popular as an alternative to antidepressants.  It is converted into serotonin in the brain and that is the same neurotransmitter that SSRIs act on, so it would make sense that it could help with the withdrawal.  I use it for depression and find it helpful but subtle, although I don't use a very high dose.  There is a lot of information about it online.  Saint John's Wort is another natural mood-booster, but I've never tried it myself.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine."
Sir Arthur Eddington

Offlineenvisionary333
Female

Re: Girlfriend gets anxiety from weed? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #10330380 - 05/13/09 12:00 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:

It's because the THC receptor's are next to the GABA receptors (control fight or flight reactions) and they block (i think) the flow.

That's interesting... maybe that explains why kava always helps with my anxiety so much when smoking weed, since kava enhances GABA activity.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Sir Arthur Eddington

OfflineLegalize
Metalhead
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #10330530 - 05/13/09 01:00 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Prohibition and legality issues are my main cause of anxiety on weed.

Also the walls society has built, which reach into the minds of my parents and ultimately me, make me trip out about getting high on illegal drugs.

--------------------

Opiate free since 8/26/10 :thumbup:

Opiate free since 6/22/11 :thumbup: :sun: :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules