Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprojectzero
—ë
Male User Gallery

Loc: japanese tea garden
help/tips on growing ephedra from cuttings
    #10253598 - 04/29/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for any info on growing ephedra from cutting, i know it is not the best way to grow it.
but i might be getting some cuttings, and would like to give it a go
what is the best way to grow them?
anyone done this before?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: help/tips on growing ephedra from cuttings [Re: projectzero]
    #10253665 - 04/29/09 12:51 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i recently posted this same question. i was told to pack it tightly with soil after dipping it in rooting hormone. use a humidity tent. well today after one week i check on my little plant (4+ inch fresh growth cutting) and all of the underground portion had wasted way. this is the 4th time Ive attempted rooting Mormon tea and i have yet to have any luck. it does like very dry conditions so today i did as before but i got rid of the humidity dome, hopefully this will help stop the rotting, ill make sure it doesn't get too dry... let me know if you have any luck i sure haven't.

Offlineprojectzero
—ë
Male User Gallery

Re: help/tips on growing ephedra from cuttings [Re: LitCloset]
    #10253743 - 04/29/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

im in a rush to get lights atm.
i will try my best, and keep you posted.

OfflinePsilomind
Anti-Prohibitionist
 User Gallery

Re: help/tips on growing ephedra from cuttings [Re: projectzero]
    #10253923 - 04/29/09 02:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ma-huang  (Ma huang) (Ephedra sinica)
Family: Ephedraceae
Hardiness:  to - 40 degrees F.
Perennial, primitive shrub. Native to the steppes of north and northwestern China. Rare offering of the main official species. Does well in pots.  Dried stem is a natural adrenergic stimulant to the central nervous system and a bronchodilator for treating colds and asthma. The whole herb, dried and used in small doses, poses no threat to the health. However, the very young, the very old, and the pregnant mother would best avoid using this stimulating herb. Ma-huang prefers full sun and dry, sandy soils. Seed planting and germination:  The seed is easy to germinate in a warm, sandy medium. Strew the seed on surface of very sandy potting soil (50% sand) and barely cover with more of the same potting soil.  Tamp securely and keep evenly moist until germination, which in the greenhouse or under propagation lights should take about 11 days.  If you are trying to do this outside in the garden it might take longer, as cold nights will prolong germination times.  Basically you want to provide as much control as possible (ie plant in flats, not in the garden dirt) because the seedlings are small and you need to work them up to about 4 inches before transplanting.  After germination, back off on the watering because the young seedlings can easily damp off--this is a desert plant.  We grow the plants in a sand mulch, about 4 inches thick, in the full sun, with moderate watering. They create, in 2 or 3 years, a stubby, woody trunk bristling with the jointed stems. The flower is inconspicuous, but the fruits are quite fascinating--fleshy scales adhered together at the end of the branch, colored orange, gooey and mucilagenous, and very sweet to the taste, containing the paired seeds with their flattened sides lightly clasped together. Cold hardy.

More notes:  There's a reason why Ephedra sinica is the official herb used for making the Chinese medicine Ma-huang.  It has high concentrations of the various Ephedrine alkaloids and it has them in the naturally balanced state.  Its a whole herb, and can be used in the form of the dried "stems" as a tea.  The tea is used as a bronchial dilator--very helpful for asthmatics, and like coffee, gently stimulating to the CNS (central nervous system).  Its not dangerous when used at reasonable dosage (a cup or two) as an herbal tea.  When the Ephedrine is concentrated (made into a drug, no longer an herb) then it can certainly be dangerous.  We're suggesting using the herb in the traditional manner, at reasonable dosage, not as a white powdered concentrate that can overstimulate the heart! 
Other sources of Ma-huang also contain alot of Ephedrine alkaloids.  In general, Ephedra sinica has a higher total alkaloid content than the other species.  Ephedra equisitina is higher in Ephedrine than pseudoephedrine.  Ephedra intermedia is higher in pseudoephedrine than ephedrine.  Ephedrine levels may vary according to how old the plants are, where they are grown, when the seed is harvested, how the herb is processes, whether the nodes are used or not, how long the dried herb has been stored, etc. etc. The plants need to be planted out in a good situation and grown out for a couple of years before they get big enough to harvest. 

--------------------
Wir sind nicht so gut, versuchen Sie besser zu allen Zeiten und um Vergebung bitten.

Edited by Psilomind (04/29/09 02:58 AM)

Offlineprojectzero
—ë
Male User Gallery

Re: help/tips on growing ephedra from cuttings [Re: Psilomind]
    #10266761 - 05/01/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for that Psilomind, i will try my best and post pictures.
there does not seem to be a lot of info on the net about growing ephedra.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds